Doom Official

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
prymetyme2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Doom Official

Post by prymetyme2 »

I have all the dooms on CD... however I have no clue what files to get off of the cd and put into the emulator to get them work. They are all store bought. I bought them a few years ago in a big pack of them. Final Doom, Doom 2, Doom, etc. Any suggestions on what to get off the cd to run it on a dreamcast through one of the numerous emulators?
Thanks,
Nicky Nooch
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You need the WAD files. You might need to install the games to get at them

Doom (Shareware) - DOOM1.WAD
Doom (Registered, 3 episodes) - DOOM.WAD
Ultimate Doom (Commercial, 4 episodes) - DOOM.WAD or DOOMU.WAD
Doom 2 - DOOM2.WAD
Final Doom (TNT) - TNT.WAD
Final Doom (Plutonia Experiment) - PLUTONIA.WAD

If you're using the 4-episode version of Doom with nxDoom, you can leave it's name as it is. If you're using DoomDC, or Bero's port, then you need to rename it as DOOMU.WAD
prymetyme2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by prymetyme2 »

And that is it? I heard you need a music file of some sort... is that unneccessary, or is it included on the sbi? Also, I may be jumping the gun considering I know so little about this emulator, but what about mods (like the Simpsons Doom, etc.)?
Thanks,
Nicky Nooch
You gotta eat lightning and crap thunder.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The music files only needed if you want music.

For nxDoom, you need a separate music pack for each version. You can't have music with the shareware version, because some idiot (me) forgot that Doom normally won't let you add an extra WAD file to the shareware version, and forgot to make an excpetion for the music packs...

You can get the music packs from this site. Just download the ones you need, extract the WAD files from them, and put them in the Doom directory on the CD, along with the main WAD files.

As for mods... that's a whole other issue. Basically, you need to create a modlist file, which tells Doom what additional files to load.
prymetyme2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by prymetyme2 »

Does the music slow down the gameplay?
-Nicky Nooch
You gotta eat lightning and crap thunder.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It theoretically slows down the framerate. However, Doom is capped at 35FPS, and should easily hit that with the standard Doom / Doom 2 levels on the Dreamcast, so it should make no difference. Even if the framerate does drop, the game will continue at full speed.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Could you elaborate on the mods part? I am too in the process of compiling an nxDoom disc and would love to have as much mods in it as possible.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

For mods, you need to grab some mods, of course. Most of the ones on this page are known to work well with nxDoom.

Anyway, download the mods that you want. Each mod should have one or more WAD file, and maybe a DEH file.

You need to create a file called "modlist.txt" (without the quote marks), and place it in the doom directory on the CD (the same place as the main WAD files from Doom).

Inside the modlist, you all one line for each mod. Each line contains the name of the mod, the filename of the main WAD file, a list of command-line paramaters to give to Doom, which tell it to add additional WAD files (or DEH files), and a description (which is never used). Each line should look like this:

Code: Select all

Name of mod,doom2.wad,-file extrafile.wad extrafile2.wad extrafile3.deh,Description
Note that there are no spaces around the commas. If you do put spaces around them, they will break.

If the mod is for Doom, or Ultimate Doom, instead of Doom 2, you should put doom.wad or doomu.wad in the modlist line instead of doom2.wad

The bit after the -file should have a list of all the WAD and DEH files that came with the mod, separated by spaces.

For example, you have a mod called "Evil Modification 2" for Doom 2, which consists of the file evilmod2.wad and the DeHacked patch evilmod2.deh, your line would look something like this:

Evil Modification 2,doom2.wad,-file evilmod2.wad evilmod2.deh,Evil Modification 2 for Doom 2
Example 2 - You have a mod called "Stupidity" for Doom, which has two WAD files (stupid_levels.wad and stupid_gfx.wad), and one DeHacked patch (stupid.deh):

Stupidity,doom.wad,-file stupid_levels.wad stupid_gfx.wad stupid.deh,Stupidity for Doom 1
Example 3 - You have a mod called "ExtraMaps", for Doom, you want to use the Ultimate Doom WAD file (four episode version), and it contains only a WAD file (maps0001.wad), your line would look like:

ExtraMaps,doomu.wad,-file maps0001.wad,ExtraMaps for Ultimate Doom
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

That was cool beyond words, thanks :D.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

nxDoom Beta 2.2 from XDelusion's site doesn't have an nxdoom.bin file, so I used the one from beta 2.1 (from his site too). Is that ok?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You're using the 1st_read.bin file from 2.2, right?

You don't need nxdoom.bin - that's just an unscrambled version of the binary, for DreamInducer discs.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Just curious, are you still planning on working on nxDoom? Like the modmenu and any other little features that could be updated? I know you already have a handful of project already - I was just curious.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Yeah, but I'm using Xdelusion's tutorial from his site, which uses Selfboot instead of an SBI.
What the hell, I'll just use an SBI.

On a side note, I downloaded the SBI for ROTT registered from sbiffy. Do I need anything else than the DARKWAR.WAD file I got from my CD?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

fackue wrote:Just curious, are you still planning on working on nxDoom? Like the modmenu and any other little features that could be updated? I know you already have a handful of project already - I was just curious.
Err... If I get any time, I might just do a quick clean-up of the code, and release a bugfixed version. The code's kinda rotted since I last looked at it, and it doesn't work properly with the newer version of KOS. I could certainly do the modmenu better now.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

BTW, what I meant was that if I needed some kind of music file, since AFAIK there are no mods for ROTT.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You need no music files for ROTT, as such. I think it uses MIDI instruments, but I've not got a clue where they go.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

I noticed that XDelusion's site has the music for Wolfendoom original but not for Wolfendoom Spear of Destiny. Why is that?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Because somebody (meaning me) didn't convert it. I think it crashed the converter I was using.
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

:oops: see next post...sorry
Last edited by TechnoWolf on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

PLEASE HELP!!! (DoomDC)

Post by TechnoWolf »

BlackAura wrote:You need the WAD files. You might need to install the games to get at them

Doom (Shareware) - DOOM1.WAD
Doom (Registered, 3 episodes) - DOOM.WAD
Ultimate Doom (Commercial, 4 episodes) - DOOM.WAD or DOOMU.WAD
Doom 2 - DOOM2.WAD
Final Doom (TNT) - TNT.WAD
Final Doom (Plutonia Experiment) - PLUTONIA.WAD

If you're using the 4-episode version of Doom with nxDoom, you can leave it's name as it is. If you're using DoomDC, or Bero's port, then you need to rename it as DOOMU.WAD
Okay, I just need a little bit of guidance. I bought Ultimate(1), 2, and Final Dooms from ID's website as separate downloads. I Downloaded 'Doom4DC-Shareware.sbi' from the DCHelp's SBI file repository. (It looked like the largest file...no other reason for my choice). I did a SINGLE MENU extraction with SBInducer. I deleted 'Doom1.wad" from the 'Inducer' folder, because this is the shareware limited version. I pasted the .wad files from my registered versions for doom1,2,3 and the sound files for doom 1,2,3 from your sound download suggestion into the main 'Inducer' folder. There are subfolders, but I ignored the subfoldres, and put the .wad's all in the main folder because that's where the 'Doom1.wad' shareware file was after I extracted the SINGLE MENU sbi. I created a TAO Nero image, burned it, slapped it in the DC, got the SBI screen, hit the button, then it said 'Loading' for like 5 minutes as the DC drive worked and worked, and finally got the title screen for Doom2. Fully playable.
Here's the problem.
What happened to Doom1, and Doom3? (I did NOT rename any of the .wad's because they are the separate versions, not the 4episode thing you mentioned?) I noticed that my registered Doom1 wad originated as 'Doom.wad', and not 'Doom1.wad' as the shareware version was named. But I still left it alone as 'Doom.wad'.
#1 is it possible to have all Dooms on 1 cd, and select the doom version of my choice from some kind of main menu?
#2 if so, did I need to extract the SBI as a MULTI MENU in the first place? (I assumed NOT, because this would only speak to the Doom4DC main program, and have nothing to do with the fact that I have all the episodes on the CD??????)
#3 HELP!!
Thanks for your help in advance!

Okay, I'd might as well get my dummy file question out of the way, too.
I've done it like this: 700mb - 'Inducer' folder size = dummy file size. Name the dummy file '000Dummy.txt' and just throw it into the 'Inducer' folder just before having SBInducer create the TAO image.
Question HERE is, I've read that you need to tell Nero to set high priority on all other files and folders, and low priority on your dummy file to be sure that the dummy take up the space going toward the center of the CD, you want the real files toward the outside edge to reduce load time and save your DC motor. I have had problems with this with Nero (Outside of SBI) where it obsessively renames all the files no matter what. Furthermore, how would you even go about this priority setting issue with an IMAGE file using SBI? I can get the dummy file built in with SBI, but is it in the right place physically on the CD?? Is it even worth the hassle??
Thanks.
Last edited by TechnoWolf on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.