roms.lst

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
Reindeer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

roms.lst

Post by Reindeer »

first of all, i know im just another st00pid n00b, but please spare me from your wrath and answer my question... :|

How do i create this roms.lst, where shall i put it on the cd and will it work? :?:
No, i dont use drugs, just acid and coke...
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

roms.lst

Post by someoneElse »

[quote="Reindeer"]
first of all, i know im just another st00pid n00b, but please spare me from your wrath and answer my question... :|

How do i create this roms.lst, where shall i put it on the cd and will it work? :?:
[/quote]

Yes, it works. Quite well, in fact.
It goes into the ROMS directory where your roms will be.
Use kRYPT_'s tool to generate a Roms.lst. You can find it HERE (if it's up at the time)
http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/dcfactory/utils/

It's also built into DCFactory (and is the only place you'll be getting updated versions of the generator as he won't be supporting it as a stand-alone tool).
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

It still takes longer then say NesterDC does, but it is a heck of a lot quicker then without one
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
_Azlan_
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by _Azlan_ »

i would like to know how to do it using notpad, whats the format?
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

[quote="_Azlan_"]
i would like to know how to do it using notpad, whats the format?
[/quote]

You can't use notepad to make a roms.lst.
_Azlan_
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by _Azlan_ »

i think you can, i read it somewhere else on this forum....
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

It still takes longer then say NesterDC does, but it is a heck of a lot quicker then without one
i disagree...i have .95 burned with my roms in order according to their header names (as ive been suggesting poepl do for quite some time)and .96 with a roms.list (with the same rom names even), and it actually takes longer with the roms.lst, but then again most people seem completely unwilling to rename their files, so just stick with a roms.lst... you can make it with notepad without a problem (its only a problem if you try to open the dcfactory generated list with notepad), the format is:
FILE.EXT:whatever
where FILE.EXT=your filename as it will appear on your disc
whatever=description (what will be shown in the menu)
_Azlan_
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by _Azlan_ »

thank you diso stu
Seifer_Almasy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Seifer_Almasy »

As far as I've learn fron KRYPT (thanks KRYPT) the notepad is not the best method to create a ROMS.LST (still I'm not sure if it works at all) he can give you a more detailed explanation..... :wink:

The point is, why would you like to make a roms.lst manually unless you have only a few roms if KRYPT's utility can make the list for you automatically, don't worry about the displayed filename because it takes the ROM HEADER NAME and diplay it properly.
notskorn
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by notskorn »

[/quote]

[/quote]

yes you can, i made mine in notepad, all you have to do is start a file, with the format like this GAMENAME.SMC:DESCRIPTION OF GAME and just save it as roms.lst; its very simple, it just takes a while to do it like this if you have a lot of roms
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

[quote="notskorn"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

yes you can, i made mine in notepad, all you have to do is start a file, with the format like this GAMENAME.SMC:DESCRIPTION OF GAME and just save it as roms.lst; its very simple, it just takes a while to do it like this if you have a lot of roms
[/quote]

Hmm..... I did that the day .95 was released and it didn't load them any faster than without it.... hmm.....
Reindeer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Reindeer »

well thanx guys, that helped a lot.
No, i dont use drugs, just acid and coke...
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

It -will- work if made in Notepad, but the file will end up in PC format, not Unix format like expected, and this may lead to a weird-looking-character appended to the end of your ROM descriptions, so it's not a good idea.

Not to mention the fact that if you have long rom names (>31 chars), then this method won't work, the only ways to do properly this are

a) (manually) mkisofs your roms, then extract the ROMs out (cdmage/isobuster) to get "proper" filenames, and then make your ROMS.LST based on that

b) (automagically) use DCFactory for all your self-booting needs, just make sure "fix 31-char filenames" is enabled when you're asked (it's on by default)... this will truncate your ROMs to 31-chars (so no filename weirdness happens), and put in proper ROMS.LST descriptions.. works best if you ran your roms through GoodSNES's handy rename feature.
Seifer_Almasy wrote: As far as I've learn fron KRYPT (thanks KRYPT) the notepad is not the best method to create a ROMS.LST (still I'm not sure if it works at all) he can give you a more detailed explanation..... :wink:

The point is, why would you like to make a roms.lst manually unless you have only a few roms if KRYPT's utility can make the list for you automatically, don't worry about the displayed filename because it takes the ROM HEADER NAME and diplay it properly.