Dream On - Dreamcast Game Contest

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BaldMonk »

I think yall really like Black Aura and my entry... if we can pull it off :) What do you think BA?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Currently, I'm building up a load of code which I can use to get a game working. Mostly just gluing bits and pieces of code together, tidying it up, tweaking it, and then merging some functionality together. That way, I should be able to build the actual game fairly quickly by gluing the generic every-game-must-have-these routines together, and writing the game code on top of them.

It'd be nice if I'd managed to do that earlier, but I've not done any real programming apart from assignments for several months. Oh well.

As long as this all goes to plan, it should be a pretty good game. They don't make them like this anymore, and they never made them quite like this.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Originally posted by BlackAura:
Gav-X - There's too many of us. Working on a game for this length of time, I think that the extra overhead added by requiring constant communication would slow us down too much. Plus we aren't trying to build something excessively complex - we just don't have the time. Having a large team would be overkill. Plus we'd then only get the one game. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to have a lot of entries, lots of variety.
I wasn't referring to rounding up large teams, but rather teams of 2 or 3 devvers. Also, having a large team (which, again, is not what I was referring to) doesn't necessarily mean that the end result has to be too big or complex. It can also mean that tasks can be delegated among a bigger number of contributors, therefore lightening up the workload for every single individual.

In any case, I'm very happy to see that the DC scene experiences these kind of projects every now and then. Good luck to all the contestants :D!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Well, at the moment, I'm working with one person (BaldMonk), who isn't a devver. I'm probably going to need assistance from a few other people too, but not just yet. We're still working out the basics.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

I've found that on small projects, teams work good - coder, artists, musicians - but multiple coders are kind of a pain.

You'd have to set up a CVS system, keep a similar coding style - communicate between each other for changes to code. It just doesn't work for small time periods.

I like the idea of contests as it causes the coder to become focused towards a goal.

I'm sure there are people out there like me who like to procrastinate. Although, I'm sure I'm one of a kind in that I procrastinate more than any human being alive. Just ask DJGeki or Dan Potter. It took constant prodding by Roddy for me to send his interview questions out... and, I still haven't sent out the interview questions to Dan yet. :o

EDIT: I.. must.. do it now. No more procrastinating...
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by DJ Geki »

So, MetaFox...you going to send out those questions to Dan? Or am I going to have to beat you with a dead Dreamcast again? :D
-Love 'n Bass, Peace 'n Space-
Roddy T. - DJ Geki
Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

DJ Geki wrote:So, MetaFox...you going to send out those questions to Dan? Or am I going to have to beat you with a dead Dreamcast again? :D
I actually sent it. :o Now to rearrange the FOF review so I can fit the interview questions in at the end. 8-)
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Re: Caution: Long

Post by MetaFox »

aisupikku wrote:This all sounds very interesting! I very recently began catching up with the whole DC scene, and, it's great to see things going on in this area.

Mr MetaFox, I'd like to thank you for setting this contest up.
You're welcome. :wink:
aisupikku wrote:I saw the 'official page' last night, and decided to search for anything relating to the contest since I felt sort of at an impasse (no links to anywhere from that page, it seemed, other than the PayPal donation graphic)...
I never figured someone would find the official site first before the message board posts, as it never dawned on me that someone outside of the Dreamcast scene would wish to enter. Thank-you for showing me the light. :D I'll add links to CV/DCEmu/boob! topics from the official page.
aisupikku wrote:I have a few ideas; First, after perusing the threads at the various sites, it seems as though it would be a good idea to whip up an 'official rules' list and place the link on the info page; Really, it'd be like an FAQ for all the previously-asked questions, only, without the questions, and presented in sort of a "McDonald's Monopoly Game Rules" format... \=]
I agree, and this is something I've been meaning to do for a while. http://dreamon.cyberdogcastle.com/faq.html

If you feel a question that needs answering isn't there, post now or forever hold your peace. 8-)
aisupikku wrote:Also; As mentioned, I'm new to the scene, but I was wondering -- Is there any sort of repository listing for purposes of finding an individual to aid in the development process, especially for something like this? I imagined someone having a bulletin board, where everyone lists what the can [and like to] do in their profile with perhaps a short description... And as a result, browsing the 'memberlist' yields results that can be flipped through, and upon discovering a potential additional 'partner' for a particular project, a private message may be sent for purposes of proposing the... idea. (Sorry, couldn't keep that 'p' thing going. =) Sort of similar to how Freeze suggested checking deviantart.com for artists, but, this would cover a large range of areas... I'm sure there's probably already something like this, though!
Not really, but the developmental ideas forum in these boards are a good place to let people know about your ideas. There is also a few threads pertaining to artists and musicians for games. Check out the art forum also.
aisupikku wrote:Say; Did I miss the info pertaining to the... ah... 'official flyer'? I've been trying to promote the SVC Chaos for DC possibility, getting people to vote and sign and all, and I would be more than glad to include this contest in my flyer runs...
That was DJGeki's suggestion, and is definately a good one. I want to make them up, but I'm waiting for Lik-Sang's response about sponsering the contest, as I'd feel I should include them if they're still interested.
aisupikku wrote:Still though; Looking at that banner, I get imaginings of the things one doesn't see very often (or at least, I haven't seen much of) in this area... An RPG, survival/horror, or even a genre-combining/defining game would be absolutely fantastic. Adventures can be tough, or they can be really, really easy -- It all sort of depends on the developing conditions. Get the right story, crank it out, and put in some action, and you've got the next Silent Hill (it is October after all). One doesn't need pulsating walls to get into it; I was talking with my little sister about how the best 'scary movies' are the ones where they give you enough to go on, and then, they simply sit back while your imagination runs away with you... It's when the film actually shows the acts that the viewer becomes disinterested (as in 'been there, done that').
Freeze really did a great job on the graphic. I'm hoping that it will inspire people to create games in genres they never thought about before. :)
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Caution: Long

Post by DJ Geki »

MetaFox wrote:Freeze really did a great job on the graphic. I'm hoping that it will inspire people to create games in genres they never thought about before. :)
He did do a pretty nice job on that pic...but, why the cheezy poofs for a shooter? I don't get it.
Last edited by DJ Geki on Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roddy T. - DJ Geki
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

Dude. During the lazy summer of Q3A, for me, it was ALL about the cheesy poofs and carbonated beverages, to go with my frags and... self-frags. ^_^

Actually, I thought those things were carrots, at first. If they are, then I really have no idea. Better seeing? 8-)

PS-MetaFox- The FAQ looks great! Thanks for answering my burning questions, also. :lookaround: (Thanks also to Dr Wily for suggesting those games!) One thing, though. Is this how it's actually supposed to go?:
A: If the winning entry wishes to add to their game after the deadline, they are allowed, but the deadline is February 28, 2003.
If so, that'd be quite the spacetime continuum programming feat. (Yes, I know I'm being nitpicky, but, I was already here, so I thought I'd mention it) :wink:
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by DJ Geki »

aisupikku wrote:
A: If the winning entry wishes to add to their game after the deadline, they are allowed, but the deadline is February 28, 2003.
If so, that'd be quite the spacetime continuum programming feat. (Yes, I know I'm being nitpicky, but, I was already here, so I thought I'd mention it) :wink:
I suppose that first "deadline" refers to Dec. 31, 2003, and the 2nd deadline should be in 2004 :)
Roddy T. - DJ Geki
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan »

Hmm...I have stumbled upon some l33tn4ss in the past year or so...DCBlast 1.5 anyone? ^_^
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by aced411 »

if someone ever makes one,I'll finally get a chance to show my true composing power,doing the soundtrack
Well nakamichi you certainly aren't lacking confindence in your abilities are you? :roll:

But of course I'm just kidding, I'm sure you'd do great
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

He does some pretty amazing stuff. I've heard some of his demo MP3s, and I have to say, they're pretty damn good.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Heh,aced411,I'm still evolving and improving,BTW.I can do much more complex compositions now with only a shabby General MIDI set,with creative use of effects to generate sounds unheard of.You won't believe it's the same "el crap-o" plain ol' MIDI :)

Haven't heard what I can do only using the SB Audigy MIDI synthesizer General MIDI sample set and some effects...hehehe...

I have the ADX file for PSD 2.0 ready,but it's a hefty 11.5 MB! Too big to upload.
Even WinRAR doesn't help a lot here.

This track shows a bit of my piano composing skills,and it's fits good with the PSD 2.0 theme :) [unless you prefer Techno over instrumental music]

I have a Happy RPG Theme for you,the first TOTALLY LIVE track of mine (completely performed in real-time with my MIDI keyboard),made with the sample set from Final Fantasy 7.If you don't like this,you have to be insane :))

But,you can hear it only if you promise me an RPG game for this contest is really in the works :)

Yes,I have other tracks that are way more professional,but those are for my own secret project,heh.

I'll give you a taste with a realtime "Live" Jean-Michel Jarre-inspired track composed using only the plain ol' Creative SoundBlaster GM set.
(if Az's FTP still works,that is)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

It's still got a good 15MB or so left. I really want to hear that FFVII-sampled track, plus the theme for PSD2 :).

About that PSD2 theme - what bitrate adn frequency did you choose? Last time we had 32KHz, and I think it was Stereo (so whatever bitrate that equals).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Hey, nakamichi, would you have any interest in making some music for my RPG, which I plan on putting in the contest? Just wondering.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Yeah, and nak, would you ever considering submitting some stuff to OC Remix?
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Az,that old FTP of yours does not allow upload for some reason.I can just download files.
I use 44100Hz 16bit Stereo ADX files,not 32000Hz,btw.

If you ever join the #dcemu channel on IRC,I can send you not only the PSD theme,but much better tracks made with only General MIDI and some effects...you'll swear you are NOT listening to MIDI :) hehehe
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Oh,I have 5 (!) tracks (remixes) for OC Remix ready,just gotta dust off my DC memory card and my old tapes and do the recording.
But the main thing is that I don't have time for upload now.

BlueCrab,if I see a fresh Windows demo of your RPG game,I might give you some very exclusive stuff.
(my DC is dead,BTW,so that's why I'm requesting a Windows demo) :(