Dream On - Dreamcast Game Contest

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Ian Micheal »

impetus wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:I doubt any one can beat jedi master Black aura hehe! :mrgreen:
except perhaps the Sith Lord ice88 ...
That is True hehe Black Aura VS ICe88 Round one fight hehe. :D
Dreamcast forever!!!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by impetus »

Reaper, have you done any original homebrew games (i.e. besides your awesome ports)? I think you could try your hand at it, I know the results would be impressive. :)

hey waitaminnithere - ICE is the on dark side and BLACK is the light????
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

impetus wrote:Reaper, have you done any original homebrew games (i.e. besides your awesome ports)? I think you could try your hand at it, I know the results would be impressive. :)

hey waitaminnithere - ICE is the on dark side and BLACK is the light????
Actually Reaper and I were discussing this and he might make a WarMachine vs The World game. Final Fightish :wink: .
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

impetus wrote:hey waitaminnithere - ICE is the on dark side and BLACK is the light????
Only those who have turned to the Dark Side can sense the possibilities of the future. Only going through the Dark Side can we see.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Hey, no stealing characters from Marvel! Do something original! (Honestly though, you couldn't press and sell that).

Ooh, ooh - I want to be "The World"! LOL

MetaFox wrote:
impetus wrote:hey waitaminnithere - ICE is the on dark side and BLACK is the light????
Only those who have turned to the Dark Side can sense the possibilities of the future. Only going through the Dark Side can we see.
um, okay, but you still didn't answer the question...
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

impetus wrote:Hey, no stealing characters from Marvel! Do something original! (Honestly though, you couldn't press and sell that).
Not to mention it'd be against the rules, and ineligible for the contest.

It could be a good idea for a game, if you didn't use any copyrighted material and designed original characters though.
impetus wrote:
MetaFox wrote:
Er, don't mind me, I'm just a geek. :P

It is quite ironic how black and ice clash with the light and dark side references given to them. I was thinking about that when jedi master BlackAura was brought up, but didn't even think about it for Ice88. It could be black ice. :P
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

impetus wrote:
MetaFox wrote:
The dark side gets the cooler powers! So you either have cool powers or be a "good guy"... such a tough decision....
Best of luck to Black Aura, Ice and everyone else participating in the contest.

Darth Vader was always my Fav followed very closely by Yoda!
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Lord_Ball speaks the truth :)

As Strong Bad asks... "Do you use your super powers for good or for awesome? ;)
( http://www.homestarrunner.com )
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

What if instead of having each devver here make their own game they all teamed together and make just one game? I bet the results would be much more impressive.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

I just mentioned this on the Dreamcast general discussion board, but I figure I'll put it here, too, since it's slightly related.

There's now a parallel contest goping on for us lamers who can't code, but still have creative impulses and want to create Dreamcast games. It uses the very cool game construction kit created by Sega, Dreamstudio. Dreamstudio is an impressively open-ended tool (dauntingly open-ended even), so there's a lot of room for creativity and a variety in the games that can be be made with it. Plus, it's apparently one of the games Sega over-produced like Fire Pro D and the Sonic 2 Birthday Pack etc., so it can be got dirt cheap these days on eBay or the other usual locales.

The deadline for this Dreamstudio game making competition is the same as for the Dream On coding competition: December 31.

Read this here thread on the Dreamcast Discussion forum for the details and ask questions there:

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=40457

I hope to see a lot people entering this competition, too. Dreamstudio is such a nice tool and it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Good luck to everybody in both competitions!

...word is bondage...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Sweater Fish - Cool. I think we've probably got any coder who's interested in homebrew to give Metafox's contest a go, so hopefully everyone else will give that one a go. Assuming a lot of people finish, we could be seeing a lot of new homebrew stuff soon.

Gav-X - There's too many of us. Working on a game for this length of time, I think that the extra overhead added by requiring constant communication would slow us down too much. Plus we aren't trying to build something excessively complex - we just don't have the time. Having a large team would be overkill. Plus we'd then only get the one game. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to have a lot of entries, lots of variety.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

So who is going to use OpenGL ? :D
Dreamcast forever!!!
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

Ian Micheal wrote:So who is going to use OpenGL ? :D
I am
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Looks like openGL is what most are going to use. me as well but im only going to try if i dont like it i will not enter it. :mrgreen:
Dreamcast forever!!!
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by DJ Geki »

Ian Micheal wrote:Looks like openGL is what most are going to use. me as well but im only going to try if i dont like it i will not enter it. :mrgreen:
You know, even if you end up not liking your work, it would be good of you to enter anyway. Put something out there...anything. It doesn't have to rock the world of gaming, it just has to be yours. As long as it's not a total knockoff of something that's already out there, you'll be fine turning in anything. It's not like it'll cost you that much anyway. A few CD-Rs? Postage? That's nothing! Hell, even if you don't like your own work, we might see something in it that could make it win :)
-Love 'n Bass, Peace 'n Space-
Roddy T. - DJ Geki
Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Yeah, go for it. Even if you don't win, you'll have made something. Someone will probably like it.

I'm going to try using OpenGL, mostly because I need the ability to do 3D graphics, and don't have the time to play around with the lower level PVR API. I've got a fairly nice resource loader system designed, which should take care of all the texture loading, so I really only need to worry about rendering things, and KGL can do that just fine. Since the rendering parts of OpenGL and KGL are compatable, I can write a version of the resource loader and other initialisation code for OpenGL, and debug and test chunks of code on the PC, before I try to get them working on the DC.

I don't suppose KGL supports vertex buffers, does it? They'd be really useful, both for simplifying the rendering code, and speeding it up a bit.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

BlackAura wrote:Yeah, go for it. Even if you don't win, you'll have made something. Someone will probably like it.

I'm going to try using OpenGL, mostly because I need the ability to do 3D graphics, and don't have the time to play around with the lower level PVR API. I've got a fairly nice resource loader system designed, which should take care of all the texture loading, so I really only need to worry about rendering things, and KGL can do that just fine. Since the rendering parts of OpenGL and KGL are compatable, I can write a version of the resource loader and other initialisation code for OpenGL, and debug and test chunks of code on the PC, before I try to get them working on the DC.

I don't suppose KGL supports vertex buffers, does it? They'd be really useful, both for simplifying the rendering code, and speeding it up a bit.
Dont hold me to it but i think beros version does indeed supported that.
Dreamcast forever!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I'll have to check that then.

Wasn't Bero's GL thing basically a modification of KGL-X, but with the texture code changed to look more like OpenGL, so that Quake could use it with less porting?

KGL-X supports display lists, which weren't quite what I was looking for, since I can't use them with dynamic lighting, unless I hack KGL to support OpenGL lights, which I am not going to do.
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Caution: Long

Post by aisupikku »

This all sounds very interesting! I very recently began catching up with the whole DC scene, and, it's great to see things going on in this area.

Mr MetaFox, I'd like to thank you for setting this contest up. I saw the 'official page' last night, and decided to search for anything relating to the contest since I felt sort of at an impasse (no links to anywhere from that page, it seemed, other than the PayPal donation graphic)... I have a few ideas; First, after perusing the threads at the various sites, it seems as though it would be a good idea to whip up an 'official rules' list and place the link on the info page; Really, it'd be like an FAQ for all the previously-asked questions, only, without the questions, and presented in sort of a "McDonald's Monopoly Game Rules" format... \=]

Also; As mentioned, I'm new to the scene, but I was wondering -- Is there any sort of repository listing for purposes of finding an individual to aid in the development process, especially for something like this? I imagined someone having a bulletin board, where everyone lists what the can [and like to] do in their profile with perhaps a short description... And as a result, browsing the 'memberlist' yields results that can be flipped through, and upon discovering a potential additional 'partner' for a particular project, a private message may be sent for purposes of proposing the... idea. (Sorry, couldn't keep that 'p' thing going. =) Sort of similar to how Freeze suggested checking deviantart.com for artists, but, this would cover a large range of areas... I'm sure there's probably already something like this, though!

As for what spawned the idea; I've only gotten as far as messing around with the Duke Nukem 3D CON files, but I do enjoy composing [mostly electronic] music on the computer and of course have a fondness for various video game music, and so I would be happy to contribute to somebody's project if they're in need of additional music production.

Say; Did I miss the info pertaining to the... ah... 'official flyer'? I've been trying to promote the SVC Chaos for DC possibility, getting people to vote and sign and all, and I would be more than glad to include this contest in my flyer runs...

I wonder if anyone's working on a 2D-style platformer... I grew up on that stuff, and so, I've got a soft spot for 'em -- Especially when they're done up all fantasy-like, colorful, different worlds or natural settings or utopian future or *cough* Okay, going off on a tangent, here. Something like Duke Nukem Manhattan Project could be cool, albeit in the more Yoshi's Island non-apocalyptic style... Not that I'm one to really say anything, though, since as mentioned, I have not delved into any sort of serious programming at all! I wish I had gotten started earlier this year as I had planned to, though, since then, I'd be ready enough to take a stab at this contest... 8-)

Actually, I've been meaning to tell the makers of Jump n Bump that I really like the style of their little multiplayer bunny game, and to ask them if they would ever consider making a full-fledged single-player adventure. I think I'll ask them about that, and mention this contest, right after I submit this post!

Sidenote: I love four-player 'party-style' games. I'm not sure if the homebrew software is capable of something like that, but, as BlackAura pointed out, simple games with a flair of style and catchy play mechanics can be _money_... Stuff like Chu Chu Rocket, Bomberman Online, and Virtua Tennis (but think Net de Tennis, which I don't have yet) are staples when I pack up my DC and bring it with my to stay with friends or family over the weekend. Granted, I bring DOA2 and SF RUSH 2049 as well, but I won't expect anything that extreme by December 31st. :wink:

Still though; Looking at that banner, I get imaginings of the things one doesn't see very often (or at least, I haven't seen much of) in this area... An RPG, survival/horror, or even a genre-combining/defining game would be absolutely fantastic. Adventures can be tough, or they can be really, really easy -- It all sort of depends on the developing conditions. Get the right story, crank it out, and put in some action, and you've got the next Silent Hill (it is October after all). One doesn't need pulsating walls to get into it; I was talking with my little sister about how the best 'scary movies' are the ones where they give you enough to go on, and then, they simply sit back while your imagination runs away with you... It's when the film actually shows the acts that the viewer becomes disinterested (as in 'been there, done that').

But, it really is a toss-up between looking forward to something like this, or marking the calendar for the release of a sure-hit simple-and-fun activity game. I do look forward to getting this to-be-announced title when it is released, in any case. :D
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Caution: Long

Post by Nyarlathotep »

aisupikku wrote:I love four-player 'party-style' games. I'm not sure if the homebrew software is capable of something like that, but, as BlackAura pointed out, simple games with a flair of style and catchy play mechanics can be _money
I suggest you give DCQuad or Smash DC a try - they are both very good fun with 4 players.