What games can be played with a BBA?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What games can be played with a BBA?

Post by jaredfogle »

I have a prospective buyer for my BBA, and he is wondering what games can still be played with it.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Little help?
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

Quake 3 for sure, that one will never go offline since everybody can host a server

dunno much about other games
ImageImage
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Quake 3
Unreal Tournament
Outtrigger
Phantasy Star Online v 1 and 2
Bomberman Online
Pod Speedzone
Toy Racer(PAL only)
Ooga Booga(I think)

ATM only Quake 3, Outtrigger, and PSO will work.

Anyhomebrew game can be tested without having to burn a CD. Also, you can use DreamPassport 3.0 and Planetweb 3.0 to browse the web.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I heard PSO was going down soon too?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Lunchbox wrote:I heard PSO was going down soon too?
Only the US servers.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

So someone with a fast connection could still play PSO, if he used a different server?
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Does anyone here know for sure whether it will still be possible to play PSO online in the US after Oberon shits down? I've heard lots of people speculating, but does anyone know for certain form first-hand experience?

The way I see it, there's three possibilities:

1) It will be possible to connect directly to the Japanese ships with a US copy of the game (v1 only, since it's no longer possible to buy a Hunter's License for v2 in the US).

2) It will be possible to connect to the Euro or Japanese ships if you have a Japanese or European copy of the game (a European v2 should still work since it sdoesn't require a Hunter's License).

3) It will not be possible to play PSO online in North America even if if it's still open in Japan or Europe.

So, what's up?

...word is bondage...
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Sweater Fish wrote:1) It will be possible to connect directly to the Japanese ships with a US copy of the game.
There is probably no functionality built into PSO that would allow this change. So I think this option is very unlikely. Sega might be able to install a server that will forward requests to Japan, but in that case they might as well keep Oberon up, so that option also seems unlikely.
Sweater Fish wrote:2) It will be possible to connect to the Euro or Japanese ships if you have a Japanese or European copy of the game (a European v2 should still work since it sdoesn't require a Hunter's License).
Yes, European and Japanese versions of PSO won't connect to the USA server and should still work.
Sweater Fish wrote:3) It will not be possible to play PSO online in North America even if if it's still open in Japan or Europe.
With the exception of 2) above, this is most likely the case.