Will emulators really...

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
bgpunisher32
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Will emulators really...

Post by bgpunisher32 »

Hi all, I hear a lot of talk about emulators in the forums about how someones DC has messed up because of emulators. In particular, DreamSnes. Is it true that an emulator will end my DC's life early. Thanx.
Katana_

Post by Katana_ »

The only way that could happen is if you use low quality CDRs that strain the DCs laser eye. However that really won't hurt it that much.... i've had my DC since it came out and have used shitty cdrs on it and it has yet to die.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Actually, if one emulator would kill your DC, it would be DreamSNES since when you select a ROM, it loads all the ROM headers off making the DC strain like hell, all while streaming off an MP3... I don't think many other emulators will tho...

Oh, and don't used copied games, their MUCH worse!
dsj1
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

use dcfactory!

Post by dsj1 »

You're right dreamsnes does scan for rom headers constantly especially towards the higher # of roms! Use dcfactory(I did) it'll make a nice self-boot cd and it includes an option to remove the mp3, and floating hearts-plus the best thing it makes an automatic rom-list so the roms load extremely fast! Very nice program- go get it here!
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor »

that's bullshit I got my dc back in 99 when dc came out in holland and I use burned games with low quality cd r's and dreamsnes I even chipped my dc and it nowmakes a shitty sound when loading but my dc is still alive
come in peace and leave in pieces

life is hard but the frontside of a train is harder
SmitZo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SmitZo »

It WONT destroy your DC ...might make it a LiL slower when loading but thats about it i think..... Normal games *could* wreck ur dreamcast if u play them a lot ..
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Yea regular games work the dreamcast harder then most emulators (dreamsnes excluded). I know Skies of Arcadia is ruff on it.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Agent 00Zer0
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Agent 00Zer0 »

has anyone actually burned out their laser? that'd suck. i have problems with mine sometimes...maybe its just cheap cds...probably. hehe. "five cents each? hmm....thats kind of a lot...don't you have any for like 2 cents?" hehe. i'd imagine the movie players you can get would put a lot of strain on it. i've heard of people adjusting the power output of the laser...seems pretty ballsy to me though. maybe as a last resort before spending $50 on a new one.