Dreamcast TUNNEL Just like XBC & XBOX TUNNEL

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DreamcastUK
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast TUNNEL Just like XBC & XBOX TUNNEL

Post by DreamcastUK »

hi there

I wanted to know if this could be poss to make or someone to code.. I contacted Sega and asked why they have closed all there servers as I have the BBA and went out and got all the PAL online games and the only ones which work are PSO 1 / 2 .... I asked them is there any way I can use the Dreamcast passport PLANET WEB v3.0 on a PAL machine and they couldn't help me...

I contacted Gamespy and asked them if they could make something like Xbox Tunnel but for the Dreamcast as there is lots of Dreamcast fans out there and they said the DREAMCAST is DEAD?

right no help I have left loads of msg on here and been in the chat rooms on here and all the US people where tired and some where even asleep when I was asking.....

So I want to know if anyone will make anything like this as all my games and the BBA are going to waste if there isn't any use for them now?

Thx People :)

Regards
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Serious.. get a life. Dreamcast is dead. Time to get over it.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Last time I check this was still the DCEmulation forums.

The whole purpose is homebrew is to let the system live longer. If someone wants to create a homebrew server more power to them. People already do this for Q3A as people use a PC server to interact with their Dreamcasts. Barbuary even had a PSO server where you could go into the lobby, and someone is working on a Bomberman Online server.

You people need to stop mindlessly flaming people. Seriously.
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

MetaFox wrote:I guess you better leave this forum then since this is the DCEmulation forums.

Jesus, the whole purpose is homebrew is to let the system live longer. If someone wants to create a homebrew server more power to them. People already do this for Q3A as people use a PC server to interact with their Dreamcasts. Barbuary even had a PSO server where you could go into the lobby, and someone is working on a Bomberman Online server.

You people need to stop mindlessly flaming people. Seriously.

Woohoo, right behind ya. Xylene's a cool guy and all but he can flame people pretty badly, I wouldn't even pay attention to him in times like this.

I too would LOVE something like the Tunnel. I've thought of stuff like that before too. I hope that the coders out there figure out how to get that modem working soon. :D
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Sorry, I didn't mean the system itself was dead. I know homebrew for it rocks, and I am all for this site.. I just mean online stuff for it, and things supported by most other companies are now dead. I didn't mean to flame him. I just seriously doubt Gamespy is going to spend there money on a dead system.
bizzle

Re: Dreamcast TUNNEL Just like XBC & XBOX TUNNEL

Post by bizzle »

I should have quoted the part I was talking about...
DreamcastUK wrote:I contacted Gamespy and asked them if they could make something like Xbox Tunnel but for the Dreamcast as there is lots of Dreamcast fans out there and they said the DREAMCAST is DEAD?

right no help I have left loads of msg on here and been in the chat rooms on here and all the US people where tired and some where even asleep when I was asking.....
If there ever would be a homebrew server I would be all for it. I just doubt any company, such as Gamespy is going to pick up all the games, and have them online again. It's just not likely.
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

If i remember correctly barbuary got PS0 to connect to his server by using a gameshark to hack the IP the game tried to connect to somthing like this is probably possible with other games
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

Xylene wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean the system itself was dead. I know homebrew for it rocks, and I am all for this site.. I just mean online stuff for it, and things supported by most other companies are now dead. I didn't mean to flame him. I just seriously doubt Gamespy is going to spend there money on a dead system.
Consider yourself REDEMED. And on behalf of MetaFox, I wub you. :lol:
DreamcastUK
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DreamcastUK »

hello there all thank you everyone for replying even the ones flamming me lol.... I got the dreameye today well paid for it off ebay ..... look for TheShowStopper2001 thats me ....... crazy about dreamcast.

one of my online mates TNA phoned up sega and asked if he could have access to there servers and they siad your the first one to call.. and there isn't a demand for it.... if we all and I mean all (that also means you flame boy) to contact sega via email or phone and let them know that the guys ate DCEMULATION i brewing up something great for dreamcast they may listen....

Also I am getting the Treamcast portable dreamcast system :)........

I check this every once a week so I would like to see some nice repies :)
saber07
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by saber07 »

It wouldn't hurt to try, but this just seems like all those online petitions that dont really get anywhere. But I would love LAN bomberman!
Silence is Golden
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

The biggest problem with the DC games vs say the Xbox SystemLink games is the Xbox ones were always meant to behave in a peer to peer environment. All XboxConnect/etc really do from that perspective is create a VPN between systems. That is /relatively/ trivial to do. The problem on the DC side is more of creating the game server code to actually connect a client/etc.

Were there any direct connection (via Network at least) games for the DC?
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

DirtySanchez wrote:Were there any direct connection (via Network at least) games for the DC?
If you mean system link-up, then yes. About 5 in all, one of them being F335 Challange (is that the right name?). I'd personally like to see one for the original Playstation. By the way, anyone have that link to playing TS2 on PS2 on-line using a similar method to XBConnect, only a lot more complicated?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
dreamgamer
Graphics Devver
Graphics Devver

Post by dreamgamer »

hmm... i know this will never happen, but why not contact some of these companies and asking for the server end of the game with the interest in getting homebrew to fund a public server.... or a private paid server... for the games... I'm sure they'll say no... but couldn't there be a chance? after all sega isn't that illusive... many people here can vouch for that ;)...

BTW Didn't most games get hosted by third party companies to begin with (At least in the states i thought they did)....
WEEEEEEEE! I ALSO MADE DCBLAP(Music & Art)! WEEEEEEEEEEE! Check It out @ http://www.c99.org/dc/dcblap/ .
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

Ask Sega if they'll release the server program code....it never hurts to ask.
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

dreamgamer wrote:BTW Didn't most games get hosted by third party companies to begin with (At least in the states i thought they did)....
As a point of interest, a recently warezed bowling game uses Gamespy sevrers which are still active :o.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Firthy2002 wrote:Ask Sega if they'll release the server program code....it never hurts to ask.
People have, and people have been disappointed
rooty
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Are there any games that actually work on a LAN?

Post by rooty »

I wrote the XBoxGW software to allow system link games to work over the Internet.

Are there any DC games that work soley peer to peer without any connection to Sega's servers? If so, then yes. This is something that will work. I could even modify XBoxGW to work for DC.

Has anyone analyzed the packets on the DC games with the broadband adapter?

Sorry if this is not new information (it's new to me!). I don't know much about the way DC games talk to each other.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
rooty@xboxgw.com
http://www.xboxgw.com
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Are there any games that actually work on a LAN?

Post by Nyarlathotep »

rooty wrote:Are there any DC games that work soley peer to peer without any connection to Sega's servers?
I believe Q3A is the only one, and that can be used by connecting to PC based Q3A servers anyway...
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

There are some Peer to Peer games but they all use the DC-Link Cable. I'm surious as to wether or not it'd be possible to use a coder's cable connected to a computer to play other peope online simulating a link cable. Would be fun for Virtual On and F355 Challenge.
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by DJ Geki »

az_bont wrote:If you mean system link-up, then yes. About 5 in all, one of them being F335 Challange (is that the right name?). I'd personally like to see one for the original Playstation. By the way, anyone have that link to playing TS2 on PS2 on-line using a similar method to XBConnect, only a lot more complicated?
It's actually "F355 Challenge" (two '5's and an 'e' where your second 'a' is...but I'm being a nit picker).

BTW, system link games....hmm....that might not be a bad thing to have as an option for a new game. I think I'll have to see if I can convince Dan of that for our next project :) Of course, we have YET to see what it will be, but if we can link it, you bet we'll do our best to get it in there :) Link play would be badass.
-Love 'n Bass, Peace 'n Space-
Roddy T. - DJ Geki
Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/