ATTN: Heliophobe

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

What would you like to see most in a new version of SMEG? (Now that VMU saving is being prepared)

Poll ended at Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:15 pm

Total votes: 0
Juganawt
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ATTN: Heliophobe

Post by Juganawt »

Hi Helio, I'm a big admirer of your work on SMEG so far.

I have a few suggestions to make it a little better...

First of all, 3 of my favourite games don't actually run (Namely Xenon 2, Mortal Kombat 3, and Speedball)... I know your emulation is pretty much perfect, but if you could add support to these three games I'd bow down to ya in gratitude.

Secondly, look at Nester's custom frontends.... wouldn't it be amazing if we could do the same to SMEG and make our own personalised versions?

The ability to play MP3s instead of sound effects would be EXCELLENT. Those beeps and blops can get tedious after a while.

Light Gun support would be excellent too so I can play Safari Hunt again (ahhh childhood memories)

Well, that's my little suggestions page over and done with.
Please consider my suggestions.
Thanks for your time
Juganawt
dcemuler
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuler »

i wanna play ganster town with the gun , that would make me cry remembering my past
Seeking only strenght
Couldness that could burn a person
Throwing away pride
Stopping time with hatred
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Well...

As great as it would be, I don't think you will see Gun support as I don't think KOS supports guns and I don't think it has been explored enough to put it in...

MP3 support..... I prefer a CD player by my bed :)

Compatabillity support? Yeah, cool :)

Front-ends? never been one for presentation myself so I'm happy :mrgreen:
Van_Lardo
DCEmu Hanger On
DCEmu Hanger On

Post by Van_Lardo »

I think the question is redundant to be honest... I'm sure that the guy would include all of these features... if it was possible at the moment!

If he ever says: "That's it. There's no more work to be done" but you have another idea for him... let him know THEN.

As it is, SMEG is a great emulator and is definitely a quality piece of software all round. :D
Image http://www.geocities.com/vanlardo HELP! I CAN'T POST ANY MORE MESSAGES! I KEEP GETTING MESSAGES TELLING ME TO COME BACK LATER!
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

I'll be happy with the VMU saving and the game.sms/.gg function.
I've never had any compatibilty problems with Smeg :D .

-Zac
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

Feedback and feature requests are appreciated, so long as you understand that I won't necessarily act on them.

Of those features, I'd be inclined to work on compatibility support. The fact that those three games don't work really bothers me - I still can't see why they don't work.

If I can ever figure out what the secret to reading Light guns is, I'll happily add support for it. We'll see.

Customizable front ends would probably be the lowest priority for me, I just like a GUI to be functional and little more, but maybe someday if I feel like working on something different. Actually, my GUI code is really bad, I should replace it anyway.

MP3 support? Like, play an mp3 instead of regular sound? An unusual request. If there was ever a really fast mp3 decoder for sh4 I might think about it.

After FM and VMU sound, and a couple simple features (like auto loading and a couple more controller mappings), I'm thinking of adding a few features such as support for CodeMasters games, PAL games, and proper emulation of the SMS BIOS. Might also add SG-1000 support (not that Dream-o-Rama doesn't do a fine job of it already, but once you have an SMS emulator, SG-1000 support isn't much more work).

Would anyone want to play VGM's if I added VGM support to Smeg? A VGM is a logged sound format for the Sega Master System and Game Gear, like .GYM. You could play your favorite SMS and GG songs like a jukebox.
zektor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Well Helio...

Post by zektor »

I would just like to say that I actually really like the GUI the way it is. Nice large font, easy to read, and long filename support. I really don't think it needs any working on to tell you the truth.....looks great to me.
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Heliophobe wrote: The fact that those three games don't work really bothers me - I still can't see why they don't work.
When I first attemtpted to play them and they did not work, I thought maybe I had bad rom dumps, which I'm hoping is the case but I doubt it.
Heliophobe wrote: Might also add SG-1000 support (not that Dream-o-Rama doesn't do a fine job of it already, but once you have an SMS emulator, SG-1000 support isn't much more work).
True, Dream-o-Rama does the job (I'm still awaiting the next release :) ) but another SG-1000 emulator would not do any harm. Besides, there are many NES emus out there for DC and that did no harm either :)

Heliophobe wrote: Would anyone want to play VGM's if I added VGM support to Smeg? A VGM is a logged sound format for the Sega Master System and Game Gear, like .GYM. You could play your favorite SMS and GG songs like a jukebox.
That would be great :) But would this jukebox be usable during gameplay? If so, that would kick ass :!:
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
Van_Lardo
DCEmu Hanger On
DCEmu Hanger On

Post by Van_Lardo »

Well... I think that the menu system of SMEG is absolutely fine!

The way that the screen fades... the nice, blue colour... the way you can jump between that and the gameplay is fine!

The idea of a jukebox is new, though... it would certainly be a good idea to be able to burn your own MP3's to the CD as well as the software and the ROMs so you could listen to the CD audio as a bonus soundtrack type thing...

Just sayin's all. :D
Image http://www.geocities.com/vanlardo HELP! I CAN'T POST ANY MORE MESSAGES! I KEEP GETTING MESSAGES TELLING ME TO COME BACK LATER!
hisashi joe
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by hisashi joe »

I find it strange that a emu of such quality that smeg is gets a 'poll' question yet other emus that have not had a update for months (dreamsnes,boobboy,either of the mame emus) dont get mentioned...
Its a strange world...
Hollywood hasney you are a very angry little man every time I see a reply by you your somewhat having a go......
Its a strange world...
Anyway all Im saying smeg is the emulator that least needing of a update...Its near perfect!
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

hisashi joe wrote: Hollywood hasney you are a very angry little man every time I see a reply by you your somewhat having a go......
No I wasn't, I was pointing out what would be/wouldn't be possible and was happy about it :mrgreen: I'm a really happy guy :D :lol:
LyonHrt
Princess LyonHrt
Princess LyonHrt

Post by LyonHrt »

Hasney angry?! I've never seen the guy annoyed, does my head in sometimes :p