How do you burn MPEGs onto VCDs that you can play on DC/VCD

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
BOYCINATOR
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do you burn MPEGs onto VCDs that you can play on DC/VCD player?

Post by BOYCINATOR »

I tried just burning the MPEGs plain onto a cd-r like you would with an MP3 disk but the DC (and my dvd/vcd/cd player) says its an unreadable format or whatever. Is there a special program needed or something? do you have to burn them as an image?
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

As long as the files are mpeg-1 you can burn them onto a CD with GypPlay & you can watch them on your Dreamcast.

Another option is to change them into DivX files & watch them with DCDivX.
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

Also, VideoCD (VCD)'s have a special format to them - the files have to be named a certian way and the directories have to be laid out a certian way - or else your VCD player (DVD player, DC VCD player) won't show them as VCD's. Nero can do this for you, as do some other CD Burning packages. Also, the MPEG-1 file has to be 352x240 for NTSC (or 352x288 for PAL) and 29.97 FPS (30 FPS for PAL) to play correctly. Hit the VideoCD FAQ for more info.
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

I didn't notice that he tried it on his DVD player as well, as Schnapple has said already, Nero is good for making VCD's or SVCD's. TMPGEnc is good for converting files to the VCD format.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

You can't make a VCD that will play in your DC W/GypPLay and in your DVD player:( I've tried it.

-Zac