Analog control support in emulators

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by curt_grymala »

I'm not necessarily talking about 360 degree support. I am talking more about the simple eight-point support (just like you get from the d-pad), I would just want it translated to the analog controller. Wouldn't it be possible to have the emulator translate the movements of the analog controller into the simple eight-point directional control? It's obviously somewhat possible, because DreamSNES makes use of the analog control, as well as Nester and DCGnuboy. Obviously the creators have already written in some type of analog translator. All I'm asking is that they allow us (the users) to choose to switch back and forth between the original controls that they have programmed into the emulator (the d-pad controls the game, while the analog stick controls the frame skip), and the opposite (the d-pad controls frame skip, while the analog stick controls the game). Wouldn't that be possible? I mean, they have already programmed in support for the Arkanoid paddle, the light gun, etc., why would this be so difficult? Any thoughts?
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

BTW - when I mentioned eight-point control, I meant the following: up, left, down, right, up-left, down-left, down-right, up-right.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: NES max?

Post by someoneElse »

Herby wrote:Wasn't the NES max controller (the one with the moveable thumb knob) an analog controller? I seem to remember it being advertised as 360 degree control.

I have one, and they seem to function the same as a d-pad, only with a 'thumbstick' nub sliding around on top.

I liked them. Whenever I pull out my NES stuff, this is the controller I still use. Very comfortable, even if it seems a little small now..

Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

WHurricane16 wrote:Not true ;-) I'm not really sure about implementing it in emulation but I'm sure it's all the same. If I can find a DC example of analog controls then I can give a better answer.

Jimbo used it in his games but it seems his sources are missing on the net :-/ I'll check Boob.
Ah! I thought it was the game the need to support this. I was thinking it in this way, for example with Mario Bros. (?1984), when you press left a signal is send to the game that moves Mario left and Mario walks with 1 speed left. Pressing and holding the B button plus left, Mario walks 2x the speed. If a signal is send that is between 1 and 2 speed the game don't now how fast that is because it is only programmed to let Mario walk 1 or 2x speed.

If what you says is true the emulator can actually control the game in that way, what the game originally isn't programmed to do? If so that would be great. Maybe FrNES already support this, I will try it out soon. Hope you can give me some more info on this.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
WHurricane16
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by WHurricane16 »

I'm still trying to find more code using the DC's stick myself :-/
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I don't have any working examplecode on me, but... what do you want to know?
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

i dunno guys, NES gams were made with a d-pad in mind and i've always played them with a d-pad. i couldn't play an NES game without it :mrgreen:
WHurricane16
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by WHurricane16 »

Hey, I'm a D-pad purist but I do wonder how some games would feel by using the analog pad. Anyhoot, I need to hit you up, BA. Bill Kendrick has been wondering if I was going to get analog control in the port of Circus Linux so I decided to get it in there. He actually owns a DC ;-)

I'm probably going to be on my instant messengers after 1 PM EST tomorrow and I might visit #dcemu and #consolevision. Depends if you hang out there, I don't care for irc anymore :-/
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Maybe you guys can find out how to do it from DreamMsx. It had analog and digital support. I would really like to play with analog, it would be easier on your thumbs.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Depends on the game, but as others have mentioned, you could have it simulate analog for racing games etc. by having it press the button a certain number of times depending on how much you depress the analog stick. If you push it all the way left, it would send constant left d-pad input, but if you're pushing halfway it would sent left dpad input half the time (at rapid intervals), so your car or whatever doesn't turn so sharply. You can do this manually with the dpad, but it'd be interesting to be able to use the analog to achieve a more consistent, but still flexible result. Of course you'd be limited to the 8 directions of the d-pad, but that's not a problem.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
WHurricane16
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by WHurricane16 »

Actually, I would still like to know more about how to use it if anyone would like to explain here ;-)
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

WHurricane16 wrote:Actually, I would still like to know more about how to use it if anyone would like to explain here ;-)
Minus burner0's NesterDC 6 controller edit, newbies to NDC keep using the analog stick and often get frustrated. That's the same with the L-Stick (which burner's edit "fixed" also)
IMO, it would be nice, as it would be more, how do you say, standard? Most DC games use the analog.
IMO, the analog wouldn't be anymore functional, but for some, it would seem more logical and elegant
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

hey, what would happen to turbo in nester? i mean, i really want analog, but it's only digital with the d-pad.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Any progress on this yet?
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

All the versions of MAME I have done have analog controls (at least the analog stick) - can't think of any good example games off hand.