Portable/Mobile screens (again)

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.

Pocket TV screen, yay or nay?

Total votes: 0
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Portable/Mobile screens (again)

Post by sixteen-bit »

Before I start I know NiGHTS is using a nice big TFT screen on the pDC project, but I cannot afford a screen of that quality.

For my mobile projects I want to use a fairly cheap screen, which doesn't have to be very big (3"? 4"?) and I was wondering if I found an old LCD pocket TV could I use the screen from it?
Yeah, I know it'll probably be a DTSN/Dual Scan/Blurro-vision screen but I need one cheap ;)

I am certainly going to build the MM (MobileMega) as my first project if I can get a screen; it will be something similar to the PSone, not a handheld but more of a laptop gaming system for the car.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian »

It takes far too much current to run a CRT, dude...
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian »

You could use a composite-to-RF cable, then hack that; it would be a lot easier than hacking a composite signal directly into the circuit.
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I wasn't planning on using a portable crt, I want an lcd portable TV (the screen's kinda like the gameboy colour/gamegear one)

If I can hack into the RF circuitry then it might work
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Admittedly the only pocket TV I have seen was a crappy old one with a 2 inch screen, but I would have thought it was possible to do.

If possible you should try to get one that has composite in as that would make it much easier, but it should also be feasable to hack into the rf side (although obviously this would recuse the picture quality).

I hope this helps :)
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I@N, since you are the electronics genuis around this part (and who said flattery gets you nowhere.. :D ) do you know if the RF tuners in the cheap-azz portable TVs would pick up the frequency used by games consoles?
I do know the pricey Casio TVs probably do, but then they have composite inputs and are ?80!

If it wouldn't tune to the frequency I would have to somehow hack it wouldn't I?
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say I am a genious :oops:, gifted perhaps, but not a genious ;)

As for your question, I have to confess that rf stuff is my weakest area of knowledge, I used to have to work with rf transmitteres in my old job & I could never really get my head around it :roll:

I would guess that pocket TVs could tune into the relevant frequency (in the UK Channel 5 braodcasts on a frequency quite close to that of a console so I assume it should work). However I can't say 100% that it would work.

It would be immensly easier if you could directly use composite video on it, although I don't really know how easy that would be.

I don't know if this has helped or not :)
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Thanks I@N, any input on this subject is very welcome :)
In all honesty I have only ever used two portable LCD TVs before, and they were auto-scan tuning versions.
I'm going to take a gamble the next time I see a portable TV for sale cheap enough* and just buy it anyway because even in the current 'alpha' stage the MobileMega went down very well with fellow students.

*By cheap enough I mean with enough money left over to buy the GBA off a friend who might sell it with enough careful persuasion :lol: