Am I the only with the "always buying the wrong console" syn

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
bilboyablan
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Am I the only with the "always buying the wrong console" syndrome?

Post by bilboyablan »

Hi there (second post of the day).
Just wondering. Am I the only one that always buy the "wrong" console system, instead of the mainstream one?
You know, buying the Dreamcast instead of waiting for the PS2.

As a child, I bought a Sega Master System, instead of a NES.
I still am a firm believer of the system, and its graphics were
a lot better than the Snes. Just had a few games though, but they
were really good: Golvelius, Ys, and one or two others.

Then, a couple of years back, I bought a Nintendo 64 instead of the PSX.
And man, do I love that one. It is strange, but many Nintendo games have a strange subtle magic which I never seem to find in other consoles
(Zelda, Mario 64, Goldeneye, even Donkey Kong 64).

And now, you know what. The Dreamcast, instead of the PS2. Ok, it is now dead, but it does has a lot of good games, and the emu scene is fantastic. But in spite of that, it is kind of a lonely walk, not having the
mainstream console. You know, when talking of games and such with people, and they say "Dream-what do you have?", "What, no Tekken?" and do not have a clue about the good games available for the system.

Strange thing, isn't it? It seems that besides of maybe missing out great games when buying the non-mainstream game console, one also misses a lot of social interaction that comes with it. And this folks, is important.
Anyway, just wanted to know if I was the only one.

Cheers.
/Gabriel

P.S. Having said above, I would kill to have the king of non-mainstream-consoles, Nec TurboGrafx-16 / PC-Engine ;-)
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Well having paid ?315 for my Saturn & getting my DC on it's launch date, it could be said that I too suffer from this illness. However, I do not regret buying either of the 2 systems, as in my opinion Sega makes the best games.

On what other system could I play NiGHTS, Daytona USA, The Virtua games or Panzer Dragoon Saga? The Saturn is not without it's faults obviously, but the fact that last year I again bought a Saturn & have started to rebuild my collection of games shows that the 15 or so excellent games on the system can match anything on a rival machine.

And where else but the DC could I play Soul Calibur, The House Of The Dead 2, Shenmue, Virtua Tennis 2 & Confidential Mission?

At the end of the day, I have had fun playing on all the consoles I have bought, and that is really the only thing that matters.
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

My opinion is that anyone who knows anything about videos games would see the DC as a really great system. Unfortunetly, there are not enough hard core gamers out there, so we get stuck with consoles made by huge game companies.

Video games to me have seem to lost their soul when Sega died, and the Nintendo Gamecube does not look like anything I would invest in...
Napoleon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Napoleon »

Well I bought a DC on launch day, but I also owned a PSX. I did get a game gear though, that wasn't very bright. I have a N64 but only because a friend gave it to me, and I never play it. I also owned a Lynx and a SNES at some point in my life.

Personally I think that anyone that knows anything about videogames should realize that all systems are or can be great...with the acception of the Jaguar. The sad thing of the gaming world is that theres always going to be a great game on the system we don't have.
U.S.MALE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U.S.MALE »

Man, I have a ps1,super nintendo, nintendo, genesis, ps2, gamecube and x-box..... ya know which one I play WAY more than any of the others combined? DREAMCAST
"Ya shouldn't a done that, he's just a boy. Poor little feller."

"Charlie don't surf!!!"
XenovipeR
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by XenovipeR »

well yes DC is a nice console.... thats y i picked up one for $US40 .... even tho it's dead but there r some games that i want to try out ... ive never been a SEGA fan at all coz of fail everytime when competitors comes in .... thats y i never support em b4 ... but now they died .. i suppose i bought DC is just to pity them ?!? well anyway ... they've been a good console fighter ... wish em the best in software business ...

also been looking at net about emulations on DC which can actually do quite a lot of things too + a lot of *cough* selfboot games around ... why wouldnt u be attracted to buy a DC now ~

i personally own a PSX and PS2 ... as far as graphix goes ... PS2 still have better graphix and polygon count than DC that is the truth ... even tho ive read the DC vs PS2 article at this site but i still reckon PS2 got their way of increasing their polygon count .... and also most 3D DC games does not have rich in color for the textures .... they mostly use simple plain textures render compare to PS2 .... not saying DC suck but just saying that the article was abit misleading ....
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

At one point I felt the same way...that I had made all the wrong choices when it came to purchasing video game consoles. Now I look at my Saturn and DC and I'm glad I bought them. I feel they both represent landmarks in the history of video games. One day I'll have all my Sega systems in a glass display case, and one day my grandchildren will ask, "Grampa...what are those things??" and I'll explain how the best video game company in the world used to make video game consoles...and how they helped mold the video game world into what it will eventually become. Even as of recently, I've had people offer to buy some of my Saturn games at very tempting prices...and I tell them no, because I've decided that I'm a video game collector, as well as a player, and people don't collect stuff to sell it...they collect it to keep it. So, I'm glad I bought the "wrong" consoles...they'll make two of my most prized collectables in years to come :D
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

The only thing I miss about my Saturn is the game Nights into Dreams. I absolutely loved that game. But I was hard up for cash at the time and sold it on ebay. When your 15 years old (which at the time I was) 65 bucks is a lot of money to you. Now I am sitting here kicking myself cause I can't play it anymore :(

I also did like Daytona USA. I don't usually like RACING games but that one for some reason I actually liked? Then again those are the only 2 games I liked on the system.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I buy all systems. Therefore i make no mistakes, just expansions to more games.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

First I had a Master System and a Nes (Prefered Master system, but then the Nes Had Zelda ;) ), then got a Mega Drive and afterwards a Snes...which I have to say I prefer to Mega Drive because of games Like Chrono Trigger(Heh, picked it up with a US game Adapter at a boot sale for ?15 - Bargin!), F-Zero, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong 1, 2 & 3 (better graphics than any 2D platformer on the PSX!) and so many others.

Then I had a Choice of a Saturn or PSX, and Got a Saturn...my first game was Sega Rally, and I'd still play it if my saturn never buggered up :/ and I got a PSX about a Year Afterwards...I prefered the Saturn tho...
I got a N64 just to play Zelda, I got a few other games but I never play it now.

And Now I got my DC and PS2, and Play the DC more, probably 'cause I got more games for Dc than PS2 (PS2 I only got 3 whilst on DC I got 90 something games...I lost count :p)

Now I'm waiting for X-Box and Gamecube to come out in UK...I'm gonna buy both, so I'm not likley to miss any games because its exclusive to one or the other console.
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by arcticfeather »

i got a mega drive first and i loved it, then an N64 follwed by a PSX then a DC when it's price dropped at it's "death".

Loved my mega drive and wish i hadn't sold some of my games to buy an N64

Love my N64 - the console i play most

Hate the PSX - would sell it for a saturn, or 32X or mega CD or my mega drive sonic games that i sold

DC is great - play it quite a bit, but not much cause i don't have that many gsmes for it - (wot are the best platformers? - got both sonics)

Will get gamecube hopefully on release here in UK and will never fall to the hype of the PS2 which sucks

Xbox is a bit better than PS2 mainly because of JSRF (JGRF in USA) and a couple of other games that i wouldn't mind, but not enough 4 me to wanna actually buy the thing

would love to own a snes, nes and master sytem - but don't have enough money

Hype sucks - great games rule!

Don't go mainstream - be different buy sega and nintendo products only!

Arctic Feather

Keen supporter of mario and sonic :)
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

arcticfeather wrote:Hate the PSX - would sell it for a saturn, or 32X or mega CD or my mega drive sonic games that i sold

How in the hell could you hate the PSX? That was the greatest system ever. Genres were started and Franchises were born
tummyhorse35
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by tummyhorse35 »

Let's face it, any system with 20 top notch games is a success because 20 games is usually about as much as any normal gamer ever gets. How many people do you know with a system that only have 3 or 4 games? Unfortunately this is the bulk of gamers, one sports game, the game that came with the system, and one other "franchise title".
bo150000
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by bo150000 »

The best things if life are not always the most popular. Sega has been this way for years..
###############################
"I am the Game and I am that damn good."
###############################
timiscool
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by timiscool »

the DC is by far my favorite system, but i think people are a bit too quick to judge the PS2. come on guys. its not that bad. play FFX and ull see what i mean.
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by arcticfeather »

Jeeba Jabba wrote: How in the hell could you hate the PSX? That was the greatest system ever. Genres were started and Franchises were born
Hello?

It sucks.

Only game i ever liked on it was Ape Escape complete waste of money in my view - wish i had bought a saturn
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Hello?

FF6?
FF7?
FF8?
Legend of Dragoon?
Resident Evil?
Harvest Moon?
Metal Gear Solid?
Syphon Filter?
Driver?
Gran Tursimo?
Medal of Honor?
Fear Effect?
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater?
550 other games?

Hmm Someone has been spending too much of his gaming time on raping penguins- either that or he's just a dumb fanboy.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

I didn't like the 1st gen 3D machines that much at all. It was kinda like it looked average (Colourful 2D sprites would have been nice) But a lot of it was jerky and un-responive.... The 2nd-gen of them has had a LOT more of my time (DC included :))....

I am LOVING my PS2 at the moment, the games I have are fantastic, only problem I have are they are sequels.....

Smackdown 3, THPS 3, twisted Metal Black, GTA3, Pro Evoloution Soccer.... nothing original... just PS1 games that have had quite a bit of nice tweaking (OK, GTA3 shouldn't really be in the same league as the still good 1st two so I'll let them go)

Final Fantasy? Bluch, mainstreaming RPGing at it's best (Minus tactics and the SNES and GB ones, and maybe let FF7 off). Can anyone tell me a good non-sequel PS2 game that isn't going to be on any other system? I can't think of one :(
JustinVisible
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JustinVisible »

What are you joking.... there is Maximo: Ghosts to Glory (Kind of a sequel to Ghosts and goblins but not actually), and of course State of Emergency from Rockstar games is looking to be some good old wholesome anarchy packed fun (despite it's lousy hip-hop theme)
BurgerKing-Where Ca$h is King
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Maximo is looking smooth, but I'm still classing that as a sequel...

Oh and I said exclusive that isn't coming out on anything else.... State of Emergency is comeing out on XBox :)