Anyone come up with a broadband adapter replacement?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
mik
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone come up with a broadband adapter replacement?

Post by mik »

Has anyone figured out any alternative to the BBA? I mean its so expensive, especially since the canadian dollar, uh, sucks really bad... i mean i know u can set up ur pc modem and that to connect to the dc modem but i dont even have a modem in my pc :(

Has anyone modified a netowrk card or tried to, or is that really even a feasible idea?
tom61
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by tom61 »

If you mean for online games it's not really feasible.

If you mean for dev'ing (uploading programs and stuff), the Dreamcast LAN adapter can be had for around $50 now. http://www.boob.co.uk has info on where to get one(about halfway down the page).

If you mean to make one and use it with NetBSD or possibly DC Linux, check out Bitmaster's page.

Note: Neither the LAN adapter nor Bitmaster's ethernet adapter is compatable with online gaming or most browsers(i.e. Dreamkey, Planet Web). The LAN adapter comes with a web browser for it, but is probably in Japanese (though I think the Broadband browser on the main page of DC Emu is the translation of it).
mik
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mik »

Yeah, i was hoping to just plug it into my existing setup of my shared broadband amounst my other computers and use it for web browsing and some gaming, oh well, i guess the best thing to do is pick up a modem for my pc and share the broadband through that.

Thanks.
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

Yea im getting a wireless modem for my comp upstairs and it would be cool if there was a wireless adapter for my dc that would use my broadband connection.

btw my cable is 500kbps and the wireless home network is 1mbps
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

If you have BBA is it possible you could plug it into a wireless ethernet connection at home?
That would rule all, wireless stuff is expensive but cool.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to make my DC dial into a server on my PC, though.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian »

I haven't had any luck with it either, 16BM. >= | I'm not too worried about it, though; I don't think it'd be too great.
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
mik
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mik »

Yeah i know i just thought it would be nice to use the net on there and stuff and i like getting dc games off of the net, i feel kinda guilty using my friends old REALLY SLOW dialup (not even 56k) that he doesnt even use since he just got DSL, when my cable internet is sitting right here in front of me. I dont even think his dad knows that hes still paying for it :S