Is Saturn possible to emulate on DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
oakfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by oakfan »

Woot! I remember SaturnCast, It ran all Saturn games and The Shenmue Beta!! J/k :lol: Didn't the author used to come and post his "progress" on it on the Old boards?
LyonHrt
Princess LyonHrt
Princess LyonHrt

Post by LyonHrt »

yeah, it was when he was questioned that he went and put that.
Oh well :)
Just call me princess :)
power_supply
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by power_supply »

Lartrak wrote:Saturn is a great system if you count imports. Most people who disagree simply don't really like 2D games.

That said.. Has there been a decent speed Saturn emu yet?
i don't believe there is a up to speed emu (been watching the news on zophar.net intensely)

I wanted to comment that the saturn, much like the DC was a ground breaking system. I can think of so many games we played and imported. Like a lot of people said just because it came out on the PSX or another system doesn't make it a bad game. A lot of games from PSX during the days of saturn - had LOUSY control and were what i can only define as static generating games (tons and tons of tile clash's and horrible Z-axis programming). Not to mention the games ported over from saturn to PSX either had minor changes making them suck, or they removed a lot of the meat and potato's of the game. A great example is lunar blue star and silver story.
Midwest Drum and Bass
For the love of jungle.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

....and Grandia, which had its graphics butchered for the PSX version - pretty much any 2D game, the Saturn version was vastly superior.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Kenichi Wrote
HAHA.....*coughcough* this thread is pretty interesting. But I really wish I could have played the Saturn. I wanted one so badly but my parents would never get it for me. They said that they heard bad things about it so ignored all my pleads and got me a 32X (which was an expensive, worthless peice of poo). Isn't it funny how parents work? I wanted an SNES, they got me a Genesis. I wanted a Saturn they got me a 32X. I wanted a N64 they got me a PSX (which I really don't mind, PSX really was better IMO) But I'm thinking of getting a Saturn and some games from eBay some day to experience some classics (NIGHTS anyone?)
I know exactly what you mean I wanted a 3DO and got a genesis. I bought a playstation when it first came out 2 weeks later they traded it in for a 32x then I bought a Saturn w/ my own money. I got a GBC which sucked so bad that I got an NGPC instead after a few weeks of begging and a trade in. Man GBC sux compared to NGPC then I got a Dreamcast woohooo! My dad got an N64 free! in a poker game. The one system that always wanted and never got was a NEO GEO AES man I want one :D

Yo Ex Cyber I totaly don't understand your statement this isn't a rip I just don't understand what you wrote.
You also probably won't hear them remarking that Saturn was the original target platform for Shenmue and Sonic Adventure. However, there seems to be a kernel of truth to the rumor - apparently there was a PSX demo that made Sega's new console look like a joke, but according to someone with more than a passing interest in Sega's history, that console was entirely replaced by Saturn. His story is much more plausible than the one that says Sega's engineers managed to hastily add a "3D chip" with poorly-defined capabilities to a system as complex and powerful as Saturn.
What PSX demo? "That console was entirley replaced by the Saturn." Which console are you talking about? I am not trying to be a dik your post seemed really interesting I just wanted some clarification. :wink:
Grazehell
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Grazehell »

Someone pointed out that the SH4 is backward compatiable with the SH2 which is very true so at least the dreamcast would not have to emulate that chip but the Saturn had 2 of these chips if my memory serves me right but not many games supported them running in parallel.
The Saturn was difficult to program for. Sega did not release proper development tools when the system launched so developers had a real tought time programming it but eventually sega updated their dev tools but developers ofter just chugged out sh!t because they did not feel the need to spend the time it took to develope for the system.
It was mostly Sega that did the system justice oh can't forget Treasure.
skedar99
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by skedar99 »

is space hulk for the saturn any good? ive seen it for ?2.50
What are you waiting for... Christmas?
LyonHrt
Princess LyonHrt
Princess LyonHrt

Post by LyonHrt »

is space hulk for the saturn any good? ive seen it for ?2.50
Depends on how much money you can spare. personally i'd go for it :)

Actually it's not a bad game, quite tough though.
Just call me princess :)
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

What PSX demo?
I don't know what software it was running, but I have vague memories of hearing that it was a sort of "behind-closed-doors" demo for industry bigwigs at one of the trade shows.
"That console was entirley replaced by the Saturn." Which console are you talking about?
I'm talking about the so-called "Giga Drive", the System 32 / Model 1 hybrid that was (according to the site I linked) going to be Sega's next home system until they scrapped it to create Saturn.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Someone pointed out that the SH4 is backward compatiable with the SH2 which is very true so at least the dreamcast would not have to emulate that chip but the Saturn had 2 of these chips if my memory serves me right but not many games supported them running in parallel.
Exactly. With a master and slave processor (like in the 32X, or Mega Drive), you can split processing into chunks, because synchronisation doesn't matter. However, for parallell-processing with two (or more) main CPUs, you have to execute them simultaneously. And the SH4 can not run code from two SH2s. It's not that good.
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

Nevermind the fact that the SH2s used in the Saturn have opposite endianness from the SH4 in the DC...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Well, there is that too.
Alexkidd187
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Alexkidd187 »

i wish sega had released the powerpc based 32 bit system they had in arcades it kills saturn in 3d but they would have had to pay some company a % of the sale price of every unit nintendo has to do that now with gc