Ultimate Gypplay futility

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by fatheadpi »

Well what's this? I finally find a good setting for gyplay and they go and start making divx for the dc. Hope you got your dreamcasts folks, cus I don't think there'll be many of em left after its discovered that the dreamcast is the first standalone divx player suitable for home use.

That said, I recently did a new gypplay disc, here's what i gots.

First, 352x240 is the official resolution that is any good on the dc in gyplay. Second, using vbr to cut file sizes kills performance. 3rd, if you use tmpeg to create your mpeg 1 files like i do, use the vga (1:1) mode, it works better than the other modes. Using 1150 kpbs usually makes a pretty good stream, so that's my findings for using gplay.

On the audio side, use layer 2 audio @ 160 kpbs.

I'd try another test disc but I guess I'll wait for Divx, that oughtta be really fun.

And to anyone who thinks watcing divx at 320x240 would suck, you can crank up the bitrate at those lower resolutions and get great pictures, as I've found from experience.

See ya real soon,

Fats McBighead
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

whats that about divx? there is a player coming out???
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Apparantly there's a great big new divx production underway for the dreamcast, supposedly not another hoax, and supposedly coming along well, supposedly backed by project mayo themselves. Check the main page, you'll see what's up.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

fatheadpi wrote:And to anyone who thinks watcing divx at 320x240 would suck, you can crank up the bitrate at those lower resolutions and get great pictures, as I've found from experience.
The author says...
I am surprised how nice a 300kbps clip looks when played in fullscreen on the DreamCast. At 500kbps the clips starts to stagger, but again a ot of that is due to disk access.
The DC won't be able to handle ANY bitrate... But the DIvX player sounds VERY cool. 320X? fullscreen, 500kbit/s, 25fps, i'm impressed. :D

Zac
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Well 300 kbps is still pretty good at that low of a resolution. And divx on dc = good.
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

hey fathead, can u recommend a Div-X encoder. I didn't have much luck with TMPGEnc & Div-X files.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Actually I have my own stock divx creation kit. To start, go to http://www.divx-digest.com and get the following software:

Virtual Dub 1.4.8 (unless newer version is available)
VFAPI Reader/Codec 1.04
DVD2AVI (1.76 works good, 1.82 works boot the same, 1.85 has onboard lame encoder, works prety good)
And as always the current tmpeg.

As I have said, open your file (mpeg 2 = dvd2avi, mpeg1 / an mpeg 2 that dvd2avi won't open = tmpeg) and do the save project. In dvd2avi, it will extract the audio trak to a separate file, in tmpeg it puts the audio in the project. Open up the vfapi reader (you have to right click on the vfapi .ini files to install the codecs), and open up your d2v or tpr file. Tmpeg (tpr) files will have the audio onboard, but will be decompressed to wav for easy access later, dvd2avi will just produce an oputput avi with no sound. Open up your file in virtual dub, and setup divx (I assume you know how), for 2 pass mode there is a batch encode option, and you can also select your audio files, tho they have to be either in the avi file or a wav file. Do your save avi, it always works great. If anybody needs any help, post away.

Good luck,
Mike
aka Fats McBighead
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

thanks, I'll download and have a play. Needed something to decode & then re-encode Div-X files at a lower rate, but I'll hold on to see how this Div-X player progresses before I play around.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

You want to rencode divx? Just use virtual dub, and load the resize filter, then set your video to full processing mode, go through and set up divx to reencode at a lower rate. This seems like the easiest way, altough I would reccomend just starting over again from the source file when possible.