Painted Dreamcast Wanna C?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ninja »

I would say to change the led. other than it looks pretty cool
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

har har har, matey. me likes it, but you should have saved the gray triangle above the led. Not having it really takes something away from it.
RenoRulez
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by RenoRulez »

HI!

How did you exactly do it?
Which type of paint is it?

But Nice,NICE!
LiL Tommy000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by LiL Tommy000 »

thats nice, i have been thinking about painting mine for a while now, but still am low on funds.
masterkizz
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by masterkizz »

Sand dreamcast really well with a super fine sanding sponge.
Remove all components that you do not wish to be painted.
wipe over with dry clean cloth.
I use a quick dry high gloss enamel paint ( Spraypack ).
initial coat is very thin then let dry.
Continue coating until happy with finish.
( A few tips when using a spraypack )
Hold the can in an upright position at all times so that the paint will flow out of the nozzle really evenly.
Dont keep the nozzle pressed in all of the time, Press it and pass over the Dreamcast when you get to the edge release the nozzle, Then come back for another pass ( Like you are crop dusting the Dreamcast )
Do not paint too close to the Dreamcast or the paint will run, Just do light coats and you will get a 100% better finish.
I hear a lot of people that use a flat or matt finish paint then clear coat.
If this is done properly and you match the paints ( Some clear coat will react with the first paint layer and make it go all sticky, Read the cans before purchase) you will have no problems but the finish will be no where near as good as a high gloss enamel.
I have had pretty good research with painting plastic surfaces mainly through doing interior work on cars for friends.
You will know if you have done a good job with the paint if it looks like plastic and has a really good luster ( Shiny ).
The paint will be touch dry in about 1 hour but let it sit for at least 24 hours before you try to reassemble the dreamcast or you will put big ugly fingerprints all over it.
Hit me at animetime@bigpond.com if you have any specific problems or questions regarding painting your consoles.
AntiWare
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by AntiWare »

:!: You should paint the 2 buttons and that gray area around the controller port blue :!: :D
ppleeuw
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ppleeuw »

I just painted my dc but whenever I just touch it with a sharp thing like a nail or something the paint comes off. What can I do?
If one man kills another, he is a murderer, if he kills 1 million, he is a world conquerer
masterkizz
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by masterkizz »

how long have you let the Dreamcast sit to dry?
Some paints take a really long time to completly dry out.
The paint maybee touch dry on the surface but the lower layers of paint will still be wet.
Did you use a quality paint? If so what type of paint is it?
Water based enamel/acrylic
Chemical based " "?
ppleeuw
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ppleeuw »

everything worked out just fine I just had to let it dry for a few hours more. Now I do have another problem: when I press the open button on the dc the lid uplifts very very very slowly, I have to open it myself to put a cd in it... How comes and what do do with it...?
If one man kills another, he is a murderer, if he kills 1 million, he is a world conquerer
ppleeuw
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ppleeuw »

anybody?
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Yeah. There is a metal spring type lever that moves the lid up when the open button is pressed, it's connected to the black thingy that is screwed into the lid on the top right side. You need to bend that into a v shape. This will make the lid open with more force. Examine it and notice how it works. Mine flies open :-)
ppleeuw
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ppleeuw »

im sorry, im not getting what to bent into a v-shape....can u explain a lil more pls...
masterkizz
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by masterkizz »

The painted dreamcast lid weighs more due to the layers of paint on it.
The spring is what pushes the dreamcast open when you push the button.
Examine the opening mech and see if you can understand how it works then you will have to remove the spring and bend it so that the spring will be tighter therefore pushing the lid harder.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I suggest leaving the spring alone. When I painted one of my DC lids, I removed the small circular gear (it intentionally slows down the lid) from the lid mechanism in the top half of the shell and have had no problems with the lid opening.

This is the part I mean, shown in red:
ppleeuw
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ppleeuw »

thanx for the tip: It really flies open now. I'm now planning on painting my dc controllers, but what kinda paint would u use, won't normal paint rub off your the controllers very easily?
ppleeuw
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ppleeuw »

anyone? I really wanna paint my controller to....
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

I would love to paint my Dreamcast a platinum silver color. :D

However I just don't have the guts to risk screwing up... perhaps if I get a non-wroking Dreamcast i'll use it's case as the guinnea pig. :P
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
ppleeuw
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ppleeuw »

that's axactly what i did...
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

I don't recommend painting your controllers. I painted both of mine; one black and one purple. I used a lot of clear coat for added protection. Normal friction from my hands doesn't rub anything off, but they tend to nick and scratch easily, no matter how much protection you give them. They're controllers, you bump them when you put them down, etc. It's just not worth it. I am also into this feeling that having my DC and accdessories in the original white/grayish color makes it more complete, somehow. I have to go and buy 2 new controllers now.

Put up some pics of your dc.
feels
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by feels »

kubyx wrote:I would love to paint my Dreamcast a platinum silver color. :D

However I just don't have the guts to risk screwing up... perhaps if I get a non-wroking Dreamcast i'll use it's case as the guinnea pig. :P
Bling Bling, haha. I'm planning on starting a collection of custom Dreamcast systems... but I think I'll buy a Neo Geo Pocket Color before I get a third Dreamcast.