Adding a Fan

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
bizzle
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Adding a Fan

Post by bizzle »

Ok, i am in desperate need for a mod for my dreamcast. I want to add another fan to it.

Problem is I cant figure out where to put the fan. The fan towards the front blows air out, so i want to have a fan blow in air.

I found very small vent in the back but its mostly covered by shields and stuff.

So, i was wondering, where can i put another fan without having to cut to much plastic. The fan is a 60mm fan i think. I dont have a ruler around so i cant check. it can from a heatsink on a pentium II

if anyone has any ideas, post away
Pong
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Pong »

Take into account that just adding a fan to the case can actually make things worse. I know this doesn't seem obvious but it can. The intake and exhaust of the design must match (CFM) or you have problems. Far better than adding a fan which could just end up cavitating and cause heat buildup, you could just add some more vents to your DC case to allow the existing fan to pull air in more easily. Even this though can be tricky. If you make it too easy for the fan to pull air in through new vents you could actually cause less air to be run across the hot chips down on the motherboard. Be careful where you make new vents. Keep them as close as possible to the big hot chips. Improving the thermal design of a case like that of the DC is not nearly as obvious as it may seem.

Scott
"Opinion does not modify truth."
EverStoned
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by EverStoned »

That's a good idea, but may I suggest liquid nitrogen.

Liquid Nitrogen is bloody cold. I would cool the hell out of anything. Just a big ol' cup of it in the center of the DC would do a fine job.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Pong wrote:Take into account that just adding a fan to the case can actually make things worse. I know this doesn't seem obvious but it can. The intake and exhaust of the design must match (CFM) or you have problems. Far better than adding a fan which could just end up cavitating and cause heat buildup, you could just add some more vents to your DC case to allow the existing fan to pull air in more easily. Even this though can be tricky. If you make it too easy for the fan to pull air in through new vents you could actually cause less air to be run across the hot chips down on the motherboard. Be careful where you make new vents. Keep them as close as possible to the big hot chips. Improving the thermal design of a case like that of the DC is not nearly as obvious as it may seem.

Scott

oh well, i couldn't care less if the thing dies
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

What you do is cut the part of the heat sink you can see through the vent in the back, and install a fan that blows in. This will go down to the board, and accelerate the air to the fan that blows out. Perfect!
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
sorewinner
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by sorewinner »

LMAO!
I'm picturing that right-proper squirrel saying, "That's a good idea, but may I suggest liquid nitrogen. Liquid Nitrogen is bloody cold."

Too f**king funny!

Everstoned, what's he going to do? Keep a supply of liquid N to dump on the board every 30 mins. or so? LOL.
EverStoned
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by EverStoned »

A pump thingy. Duh. :-p
Pong
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Pong »

Why do you need more liquid nitrogen every so often? Liquid nitrogen stays ice cold all the time even when it's in a pressurized container. I've seen references to this fact in several reputable action movies.

:wink:

Scott
sorewinner
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by sorewinner »

LOL, ...several reputable action movies...

Eventually the heat from whatever you were cooling would evaporate the liquid N. You'd have to recondense it somehow.

Please correct as needed. :)
Pong
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Pong »

I was of course just kidding...

You just described the essence of most liquid cooling systems whether they're based on Liquid N, freon, helium, etc. Condensation - Evaporation - Condensation - and so on. The Carnot cycle. Another useless bit of trivia provided by Pong. :-)

Scott
sorewinner
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by sorewinner »

A nice collection of useless bits of trivia amounts to a seemingly very intelligent person. Believe me, I know....
:bigsmile:
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

8-)

More useless trivia:

The ammonia cycle is also relevant to cooling. It was discovered by none other than Mr. Albert Einstein himself... when he demonstrated it, people thought he had created a perpetual motion machine!

You can do it with basic chemistry lab equipment, and crap your pants in amazement... :P

Einstein also discovered the photo-electric effect, making solar powered-cells possible. He had mad skillz as an inventor, but he gets the most credit for his physics theories.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
EverStoned
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by EverStoned »

Well can he do this?:

**slaps a fish repetedly until it plays 'Ode To Joy'**