Bleemcast Tekken 3 suffers from many slowdowns/ frameskip

Here lies the historical and much-loved bleemcast! forum, once frequented and moderated by Rand Linden himself, preserved for future generations to enjoy. All new bleemcast!-related posts should be made in the main forum below.
sirdaf
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bleemcast Tekken 3 suffers from many slowdowns/ frameskip

Post by sirdaf »

Is it just me or my dreamcast, or does Bleemcast for Tekken 3 suffer from many slowdowns? I've experienced these slowdowns especially when one fighter hits another and light sparks appear and also on certain stages, such as yoshimitsu's with all the trees in the background.

Moreover the MDEC movies don't seem to be running at full framerate.
And in normal gameplay it seems there is standard frameskipping applied, something I haven't noticed in force mode.

Can the other people on this forum who have bought Bleemcast! TK3 and also have played the original on a Playstation verify this?
I'd like to know if it might be my dreamcast or my copy of Bleemcast in particular causing the problems (although my DC hasn't given me any problems before...).

So people, please let me know what your experiences are with Bleemcast! TK3.
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

What condition is your original Tekken 3 CD in? Better question - is it an original Tekken 3 CD? I haven't noticed any slowdowns, but I haven't played the game on an original PSX extensively, so I don't know comparisons too well (I did fire it up on a PS2 for effect once or twice).

I do know that there have been people on this board in the past who have had problems with things like movies playing correctly when their CD was scratched. Perhaps this is akin to your problem. If, however, you are using a backup CD, then your mileage may vary.
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

no, b!TK3 does suffer from excessive slowdown... it perfectly playable and everything, but if you are used to playing it on a psx id recommend you keep playing it there... i know, sounds harsh, but its faster and b!TK3 is probably the least improved of the three bleem packs... not that there arent a lot of technical improvements, but tekken 3 looked fine on psx and load times werent much of a problem either, so i think tekken on dreamcast is more of a novelty... now GT2 is another story...i cant play that on psx now, its just so much better on dc i cant go back...

update:i just re-read your post, and i wanted to add that the movies appeared about the same to me, so maybe that will have something to do with your disc being dirty/scratched, but like i said, the in game slowdown is just something that happens...
sirdaf
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by sirdaf »

Thanks for posting your findings!
I am playing with a backup of Tekken 3, but there are hardly any scratches or dirt to be found on the surface.
However my experience pretty much matches with what discostu55555 is saying: compared to the real thing on the PSX playing TK3 on Bleem often seems slow, although the graphical improvements are simply amazing and it's fully playable nonetheless.
The MDEC movies run fluently and all, but I keep getting the feeling every other frame is being skipped compared to what I've seen on a PSX.
Music and sound effects on the other hand are very well done, both sound crisp and clear and absolutely flawless so far.

IMO I would have rather seen a little less graphical improvements (hell, I would have even settled with NO graphical improvements whatsoever) if this would've only guaranteed a steady framerate.
Right now, I'm satisfied and all to be able to play TK3 on my dreamcast, but given the choice to battle my friends in a game of TK3 on the dreamcast or on the PSX, I'd go for the latter because of the more fluent gameplay.

But then again I'm using a backup disc, so this will be the next thing I'm going to check as soon as I get my hands on an original disc.
Angreifer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Angreifer »

I've played Tekken 3 on an original disk and on a backup I burned. I did notice a bit of slowdown, but nothing really drastic when compared to playing it on the PSX.