Dreamcast and All It's wonders........ How?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast and All It's wonders........ How?

Post by q_006 »

Hello everyone!
Obviously I'm new to this forum and to DC programming.
I've been reading some of the posts in this section so hopefully I won't make any redundant remarks or questions.

So here I go.....

Windows CE. Why can't I get the Version 2.1 (or whatever version is out) and program a game (and if possible) add some SH4 assembly and run it on the DC? (when i say Ver 2.1 i don't mean the DC version 2.1, i mean the regular CE ver 2.1)

KOS. I've read the manual (a few times) and everything seems to go over my head. Right now I'm learning C and know some C++. From what I've read C++ won't do me any good, so C is definitely the way to go. So I'm wondering if there's a tutorial somewhere that can show you how to put together a simple game, Pong actually. That way we (newbies/beginners) can see how all those functions actually work and it'll give us a real basis to go from.

SDL. I've seen a news bulletin on being able to use SDL for the DC. But how? I went to the website and no information was there. I've seen nothing anywhere else with information on how you would use SDL for DC programming. Is SDL supposed to replace KOS for the actual programming or is SDL some sort of wrapper/layer for KOS?

Thank you for reading this.
Please help a newbie out :D

Q
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

WinCE - The Dreamcast version's SDK is illegal. The normal version doesn't work on a Dreamcast.

KOS - There's a few general game coding tutorials around on the web, and they might help you a little. As for the KOS specifics, the examples are really all that exists. You might also like to try DNA over at Consolevision.

SDL - It's based on KOS, but there are far more tutorials and games for it. If KOS is too far over your head, this might be a bit better. Plus, you can test it on a Linux or Windows machine too. However, it's not trivial to set up. SDL is a layer that sits on top of KOS and provides an interface that's the same as the PC version of SDL.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

yup

Post by reaper2k2 »

after more then 2 weeks trying to set up sdl a proper faq has to be written on it to be of use ive given up on it for now

sdl will be the way to go midi music lots of easyer functions and multi platform i noticed that theres a ps2 port to so it looks good for the future you could do it for pc and ps2 and dc in one go

theres a new lib called dc_land and its not bad im going to use it a bit

you should look at that to its easyer to make simple menus with it

Download as much dc source code as you can and study it taking away functions add them to a homebrew game teaches you faster then books

or may be thats just me lol :wink:
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Re: yup

Post by Prophet][ »

reaper2k2 wrote:after more then 2 weeks trying to set up sdl a proper faq has to be written on it to be of use ive given up on it for now

sdl will be the way to go midi music lots of easyer functions and multi platform i noticed that theres a ps2 port to so it looks good for the future you could do it for pc and ps2 and dc in one go

you should look at that to its easyer to make simple menus with it

Download as much dc source code as you can and study it taking away functions add them to a homebrew game teaches you faster then books

or may be thats just me lol :wink:
No its just not you, This way is the best way to learn. But it does help if you do know something to start with
tom61a
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tom61a »

Where's the website for dc_land, I've heard of it before never found where to download it.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

so why don't we (meaning anyone in the community) make a tutorial that shows how to put together some simple programs and a simple game (Pong is my choice)?

also......

so no Windows CE. got that. and SDL can be used. so i can program a game in SDL and compile it with KOS and it'll work? just like that?

also i want to learn the KOS syntax.... i feel i'll need somethng similar to it later.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

In theory, any SDL program should run on a Dreamcast without modifying the code (much). In practice, it probably won't. The OpenGL implementation on a Dreamcast is not much like a PC's version, it doesn't have too much RAM, there's no hard disc, and the controls are totally different. It might work but it won't necessarily be playable. If it uses OpenGL features that KOS doesn't have, or needs a hard disc or lots of RAM, it won't work without major recoding. But, for stuff like Doom, Marathon, and stuff like that, it should work well.

You can try sites like Game Tutorials or Gamastura, which have some game coding tutorials on there. Most of it's very PC-oriented, but it should work well for consoles too.