When developers will make games with official devkit?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Heliophobe »

Durr... thatr's right, the standard NetBSD source contains the dreamcast specific bits... check around in the /syssrc/src/arch/dreamcast directories.
BobBorakovitz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BobBorakovitz »

Warmtoe: I wish you the best of luck with that driver, there's nothing I'd rather see than Duckhunt on the DC with the lightgun....

thanx for the step in the right direction!
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

crt0 wrote:Vampire: Maybe you completely ignored what I said. The stuff in the official kits ISN'T MUCH BETTER THAN WHAT IS IN KOS THESE DAYS. And, like I said, it WOULDN'T HELP MAKE "BETTER EMULATION" possible... there really is not much of a reason to use the official kits except for the possibility that the Hitachi C compiler 0wnz GCC in non-bugginess.
sorry.. guess i missed it :(
DC Developer
DC Developer

Lightgun a-go-go

Post by Warmtoe »

Done it... have a lightgun driver in KOS - it is a complete mess code-wise and needs a lot of tidying up before I submit it to KOS but I do have a preliminary test that you can run...

I would appreciate feedback on whether it works or not.

Note: it only supports 1 gun at a time - at the moment, but also maybe always!!!!!

http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/warmtoe ... unTest.zip

e-mail me at: warmtoe@totalise.co.uk if you have any feedback.

-W-
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

where'd u learn to code???

i REALLY want to learn, but im not sure how.. College? University? Night classes??
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Nice one Warmtoe! That means that someone might be able to come up with some shooting games now, and of course we can finally get lightgun support for some emulators like NesterDC. Hope ya manage to clean the code up a bit, and get it into KOS.

Now, is there any other hardware we need to support in KOS (apart from the Modem, obviously)?
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

VampireHawke wrote:where'd u learn to code???

i REALLY want to learn, but im not sure how.. College? University? Night classes??
I studied computer science at university BUT you don't need to go to university to learn to program...

The first thing to do is get a simple book - something that tells you about programming C is a good starting point - then take some source code and see if you can follow what it's doing - go back to the book for bits you don't etc etc

It's not a science though - it's an art really (a black art).

I'm old (32!) and so I've had tonnes of experience! That makes it easier!

-W-
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

BlackAura wrote:Nice one Warmtoe! That means that someone might be able to come up with some shooting games now, and of course we can finally get lightgun support for some emulators like NesterDC. Hope ya manage to clean the code up a bit, and get it into KOS.

Now, is there any other hardware we need to support in KOS (apart from the Modem, obviously)?
Microphone, PuruPuru (aka Jump) Pack...

I don't remember whether the ever so important fishing controller behaves differently...
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Actually - I just ordered a fishing controller... so I might have a play with that one next!

-W-
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I think that I read somewhere that it behaved similarly to a normal controller.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

No feedback? DENIED!!!!

Anyway - I have a new test for you to try which I hope supports multiple lightguns... http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/warmtoe ... nTest2.zip.

There seems to be a problem with recognising guns in port 0 (A) and 1 is a bit cranky too (more bugs to be ironed out) but ports 2 (C) and 3 (D) seem to work well - but I can't test with >1 gun cos I only have the 1!

Anyone give it a test and let me know?

The actual program works a lot better than before - although I feel I'm never going to make a games designer!

-W-
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

Warmtoe wrote:No feedback? DENIED!!!!

Anyway - I have a new test for you to try which I hope supports multiple lightguns... http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/warmtoe ... nTest2.zip.

There seems to be a problem with recognising guns in port 0 (A) and 1 is a bit cranky too (more bugs to be ironed out) but ports 2 (C) and 3 (D) seem to work well - but I can't test with >1 gun cos I only have the 1!

Anyone give it a test and let me know?

The actual program works a lot better than before - although I feel I'm never going to make a games designer!

-W-
Its amazing how you can just firgure out what to do in your head like this I mean HOw does one just firgure out how to do things without someone else doing it first and teaching them? If you added lightgun in like a week maybe you should look at the dc modem. I mean with your skills who knows what mite happen.
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
CyRUS64
Boob!boy Creator
Boob!boy Creator

Post by CyRUS64 »

No offence to warmtoe but reversing out the modem is about a zillion-billion times harder than the lightgun, whose register and info is already documented by marcus and has drivers in netbsd/linuxdc etc
Dredwing99
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dredwing99 »

there already is a lot of dev kits out there that were officially licensed.
Like my other post says, there are people working on bringing commercial
titles out for the DC. Names of titles weren't yet released, but I was told DC had quite a few games in the 80%-100% complete department. How the release of DC games would work, I'm not sure, since I haven't heard if Sega has made it open platform or not.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

CyRUS64 wrote:No offence to warmtoe but reversing out the modem is about a zillion-billion times harder than the lightgun, whose register and info is already documented by marcus and has drivers in netbsd/linuxdc etc
None taken (offence that is) - but basically, you're right - the lightgun driver is essentially just a modified controller driver with the specific request for the gun position as was documented in marcus' document.

Working out how to request it for >1 controller when there is only one register involved was a leap of faith - but actually again, not that complicated.

heyho - I had some feedback that it doesn't work with a bio gun - but no positive feedback yet...

-W-
Kiley
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Kiley »

BlackAura wrote:I think that I read somewhere that it (fishing rod) behaved similarly to a normal controller.
Yeah, it is only missing the L and R triggers....

the motion sensor in it is a weird one... it does nothing in some games.

In other games, like tennis, you swing the rod... they swing the racquet. In soul calibur, you flick it like a sword, they'll flick their sword.

In others.. it makes the game unplayable (ever tried play Q3A with a fishing rod?)

Kiley
Daniel Kiley is still "dreaming"
Orangey_
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Orangey_ »

Hehe

Should have a Quake Tourney, where you can only use Fishing Controllers.
Leader of AOE 2 and AOM Gaming Clan _AgerZ_
http://agerz.spydar.com

Agent21KGB
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Well...

Post by Agent21KGB »

The development cd has been "sort of" released and I have a copy but with out the unit I am screwed. It won't install at all but it looks like fun. I am not in the financial situtation to get a dev unit off ebay nor do I have the coding skills.
Kiley
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Kiley »

Orangey_ wrote:Should have a Quake Tourney, where you can only use Fishing Controllers.
Soul Calibur would be better...

Kiley
Daniel Kiley is still "dreaming"