Rand pls read, n64 on dc

Here lies the historical and much-loved bleemcast! forum, once frequented and moderated by Rand Linden himself, preserved for future generations to enjoy. All new bleemcast!-related posts should be made in the main forum below.
dc^dude
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rand pls read, n64 on dc

Post by dc^dude »

Randy, even trhose this emu is supposedly fake, i do not believe that it is. He says that the emu works in a bleem like way, except for the graphics enhancing... Rand.. do you think this john person can create a way to emualte a nintendo 64 on the dreamcast similarly to how you guys emulated it... in pac per game..
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

(Rand if you feel like answering... go ahead. I'm just answering as best as I can incase you dont)

Well... (not digging out his old post... but)

Rand had actually said that Bleem was considering doing a N64 Emu for dreamcast. Except theirs would require the actual cartriges and be connected to the dreamcast through a cartrige adaptor. He didn't mention if the adaptor would attach the the modem port or the serial port.

Eather one would probibly still not be fast enough to stream the rom data as fast as the dreamcast would need it so Rand would have had to create a way to transfer only the needed chunks of data (Like 'John' said he'd developed) Thing is Im pretty much positive useing eather of those ports and an adaptor would be faster than loading off the cd. (Makeing 'John's idea more difficult since he'd have to think and stream farther ahead.)

I personally think that some of the smaller games could be ran on dreamcast if an emu was made. Possibly w/o needing a new emu for each differant game. Larger games would require extra codeing and (likely) individual treatment. Probibly the only way to get good speed would be to do the code almost 100% in assembly. Not just SH4 but ARM as well so the sound chip actually does the sound emulation. Menus and such could still be in C but thats probibly about it.

Initial load times would surely be long. Since it would want to load as much data into ram as possible. Try transfering 12MB on a 16x cdrom... you get the idea.

These Mame emulators have proven somewhat large roms can be loaded and ran on the dreamcast. (NEO GEO games for example)

So my guess answer to your question "do you think this john person can create a way to emualte a nintendo 64 on the dreamcast similarly to how you guys emulated it... in pac per game..?" is...

This 'John' person... maybe not. Expecially if it truely was faked. (Think thats still being debated)

Rand could surely do it... development cost per title would probibly have been too high to be profitable. (Not to mention the cartrige adaptor)

I do beleave if Rand thought he could do it... then a talented, dedicated homebrewer could do it in twice the time (maybe longer, maybe less) More likely we'll see a "works with most small games" from a homebrewer than a "works with this one spacific game"

I also dont beleave we'd ever see Donkey Kong 64 or Perfect Dark on dreamcast... Not sure if even Rand could pull some of the biggest games off.
dreamcaster1
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dreamcaster1 »

I have something to ad here the n64 roms most of the are 30 + megs can they be unpacked into just regular files that might increase read speed from the cd and the files would be smaller so even bigger games could work on the dc
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

While an N64 emulator is certainly technically possible on the Dreamcast, everything that I've read about this N64 emulator from JH leads me to believe it's NOT real.

Rand.