Merry Nullmas! A 2003 Christmas Retrospective

Be careful where you tread in here...
Specially Cork
https://www.houzz.com/pro/kuchnie/

Merry Nullmas! A 2003 Christmas Retrospective

Post by Specially Cork »

Merry Christmas all! Hope you had a good one.

I found this post from exactly 20 years ago where I posted my Christmas haul. Kinda wild that so much has changed in two decades but I still unwrapped a Switch game (Mario Wonder) from my parents this morning. :grin:

https://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... as#p419395

Let's see what I got:

- True Crime (GC)
- Billy Hatcher (GC)
- Tony Hawks Underground (GC)

All I remember of True Crime is the combat being better than GTA and the map being stupidly and pointless big. Billy Hatcher and THUG were both duds. Crazy that my son will get more fun from a £25 Fortnite card than I got out of this £140 pile of games.

- Atarti 10 in 1 Games Joystick

Yearrrs before the Nes Mini and friends were a thing. This was pretty shit. No idea why I thought I'd want to play Atari 2600 games. Nyar warned me and he was right. First time I've ever said that.

- Simpsons Season 3 DVD Boxset

The golden age of the DVD. Genuinely miss when this could be a legit gift. It wasn't just the physical media - it's the fact this was the only way you could watch episodes on-demand so it felt special no longer being a slave to the TV schedules. Very good gift.

- An Antquarium

I remember this being shit. Obviously couldn't find ants in winter so it got left until later in the year. We put a few in and they made some tunnels then died. Probably needed more maintenance than I could give it.

- DVDSONTAP Gift Subscription

I guess this was OG Netflix to you guys in the US. This was a really new idea at the time - DVD rental by post. Loved it.

- Oneill Hoodie
- Vans T-Shirt
- Quiksilver Button Shirt
- Quiksilver Reversible Beanie

I still wear Vans shoes to be fair but lol at these brands. Only Beanie I wear these days is my Dreamcast one and that has a proper bobble on it.

- David Blaine Mysterious Stranger Book

Can't remember reading this.

- Viz Roger Mellies Ad Break Book
- Viz Roger Mellies Profanisaurus Book

I still get the Viz annual every year. Total gutter-tier toilet humour but I love it.

- Incredible Visual Illusions Book (A real headfudge)

Just a book of optical illusions.

- Halfords Car Cleaning Kit
- Halfords De-Icer
- Halfords Windscreen Cleaner Concentrate
- Ice Scraper
- Simpsons Car Freshner
- Torch
- Photon Keyring Light (Banned in the US)
- RAC UK Road Atlas 2004
- Keyring with my name like a registration plate

This was all stuff for my car - a £700 Ford Fiesta from about 1992 as I was learning to drive. Ended up giving up for various reasons and wouldn't learn to drive until after I got back from China about 15 years later.

- Calvin Klein Underwear
- Calvin Klein Obsession For Men Giftset
- FCUK Body Wash
- FCUK Shampoo
- FCUK Deodrant

Hahahaha it's like FUCK but it isn't.

- Box Of Mini Dime Bars
- Wholesale Box Of Freddo Frogs
- Thorntons Chocolates
- White Chocolate Coins
- Giant Milk Chocolate Coin
- Foxes Glacier Mints Giant Bag

Yum.

- 3 Giant Bottles Of Dodgy Superstrength Imported Beer

I would've been 17 at the time but good to know booze was already a staple gift.

- Simpsons Socks Giftset
- Simpsons Expandable Flannels

Usual tat for the sake of gifting tat. Really not a fan of this stuff now.

- Topman Bracelet
- Topman Necklace

Topman died in COVID I think. Pretty sure it was peak male fashion in 2003 but never changed beyond that point.

- £50 cash

Nice.

- £10 HMV Gift Voucher

HMV is still going surprisingly. Music & DVD retailer that's making a resurgance thanks to vinyl and people giving up with streaming. Good stuff.

Anyway thanks for reading and Merry Christmas.

Lol Billy Hatcher wtf was I thinking. Jeez.