Dreamshell toolchain

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
chromadon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamshell toolchain

Post by chromadon »

Hi!!

I noticed the dreamshell toolchain is quite a bit newer than the one that kallistios uses out of the box.

I have tried to build the toolchain but I get errors during patching.

Just curious if anyone here is rocking the newer toolchain?

Thanks
Oli
lerabot
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: Dreamshell toolchain

Post by lerabot »

Can you past a link to what toolchain you're trying to use?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

A quick search turns this up: https://github.com/DC-SWAT/DreamShell/t ... /toolchain

That said, remember, newer isn't always better. SuperH is not a high-priority target for GCC's maintainers and often has extremely buggy support. There's a reason that we stick with old versions in the "officially recommended" sets of tools for KOS for a long time. :wink:
chromadon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by chromadon »

Ahh,

Better to stick with the tried and tested.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Basically, it works out to that if there's not a compelling reason to update and re-test everything to ensure that the newer version of GCC works as well as the old one, then it doesn't get done.

That's not to say that none of those newer versions would work. To be perfectly honest, I don't know whether they work as well as 4.7.x or not. That said, there's not really a compelling reason to update past 4.7.x at the moment, and there are good reasons to stick with it.

There were plenty of times in the past where GCC would produce broken code for SuperH and the bugs persisted for literally years. Basically, between GCC 3.0.4 and GCC 3.4.3 (I think?), no released versions of GCC actually produced correct code for SuperH with some common optimizations turned on (just to give one example of such a time that things were broken for a long time).