PSO Questions & Answers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

maldoror68
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: PSO Questions & Answers

Post by maldoror68 »

hi all ,after long years without pso online, i'm on the way back with my dreamcast & my dreampi.

so here are my few questions :

-i've got 2 dreamcasts, only 1 dreampi for now ( a second one is planned), i'm planning to get both dreamcast back online to playing PSO with my son (last time i played PSO online he wasn't born !), so i need to buy 2 legit PSO gd-roms. (my both DC are PAL). i already have sylverant bootdisc burned, planetdream webrowsers burned, etc etc...

so:

1-can i buy a japanese psov2 version ? or an us psov2 version ? will i be able to play in french or english ? i've searched a little while on google, but if anyone can confirme the languages supported in JP and US version 8-)
because the pso v2 pal is soooo expensive...and i need TWO discs

2-can i buy a second hand game with no serial and registration key ? or it is needed to log to sylverant ?

3- final question (and much more complicated) if anyone can confirm i can log 2 dreampi on ONE router . if not i made all this work in vain (2 dc, 2 vga boxes, 2 4:3 vga pc screen, 2 dreampi... my wife gonna kill me! :oops: )

and sorry for my bad english :wink:

is there any presentation topic ? i've didn't see any... :oops:

thanks ! :)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Every DC PSO disc supports the same five languages, although the German, French, and Spanish translations are pretty notorious for being bad. :lol:

JPv2 is a bit buggier than USv2 and EUv2, so I would recommend avoiding that disc if possible. You need unique serials if you want to register to participate in events, so it's best to buy a copy of USv2 with the original case, because the case has a sticker with the serials printed on it.

I've never used a DreamPi, so I can't help you with that part.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
maldoror68
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by maldoror68 »

ok, thanks for the advices.

does the "silverant boot disc" will allow to play the US disc on my PAL dreamcasts ? i mean i can't put a freeloader between the silverant bootdisc and the game...
it's a server boot disc, not an "import boot disc" no ?

if i need to buy 2 pal games with serials i'm doomed :o
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The boot disc defeats the region lockout for GD-ROMs, yes. You also have the option of using a fast load CD-R of the game that is region free and connects automatically without a boot disc, but you still need a legit GD-ROM to get unique serials.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
maldoror68
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by maldoror68 »

thanks, all, just a little feedback here from France 8-) :

(and a nice story) :bangin:

after buying 2 us ntsc PSO 2 for dreamcast, after setting up all this madness (yes, 2 dreampis on the same router)
pluging all the phone lines, the two 56k modems, the two dreamcasts VGA boxes, the two 4:3 pc screen, i'm back online on PSO with my son !

last time i played online he wasn't born :roll: (makes a long time)
I'm so proud to share this game with my boy. :grin:

a dream comes true 8-)

a very thrilling moment for me ! thanks Sylverant admins and for all advices. :thumbsup:
and thanks SEGA of course ! :wink:

see ya all online on the server !
me , 35 years old , Manu and my son, 9 years old ,Arthur

:bow:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Whoa, whoa now! PSOv2 has an ELSPA rating of 11+! How dare you expose your 9 year old son to such a violent and inappropriate game! :evil:

;) :lol:

Welcome to Sylverant!
"Fear the HUnewearl."
maldoror68
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by maldoror68 »

Aleron Ives wrote:Whoa, whoa now! PSOv2 has an ELSPA rating of 11+! How dare you expose your 9 year old son to such a violent and inappropriate addictive game! :evil:

Welcome to Sylverant!
corrected. thanks ! 8-)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:Whoa, whoa now! PSOv2 has an ELSPA rating of 11+! How dare you expose your 9 year old son to such a violent and inappropriate game! :evil:

:lol:
Welcome to Sylverant!
Seconded. :mrgreen:
Otto Baus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Otto Baus »

Does anyone know why all of the MAGs I find are gray in color? I have always had to create new characters to roll the particular colors I want, and searching online has led me to realize I'm not the only one with this issue. But I have not found an explanation for it...
HotteLunch - HUcast
Gaijin - RAcast
MintChip - FOnewearl
MAGz - extra bank storage character; RAmarl currently
FaithY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by FaithY »

Is your character Grey? I think the color of the mag is based on the color of the character that finds it.
:mrgreen:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

It's one of the many bugs in the US non-Plus discs. All Mags dropped from boxes are grey when your client is generating the drops. You have to either make new dummy characters or let somebody who has a less buggy PSO disc lead the team in order to get a non-grey Mag to drop.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Otto Baus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Otto Baus »

Aleron Ives wrote:It's one of the many bugs in the US non-Plus discs. All Mags dropped from boxes are grey when your client is generating the drops. You have to either make new dummy characters or let somebody who has a less buggy PSO disc lead the team in order to get a non-grey Mag to drop.
This validates a memory I had of actually finding properly colored MAGs back before I ever came online. I remembered running through mines after changing costumes, and not having to recreate characters to get colored MAGs. That's because before February of 2016, I only had ever played on GC using PLUS, mostly offline. I only got non-PLUS at that point so that I could boot GCMM via PSOload to back-up my memory cards after losing items more than once in the span of only about a month thanks to various FSODs and EWs once I began to play online regularly.

But here's the crazy and sort of shitty part though: I tried using my original PLUS disc to find colored MAGs again after getting so many gray ones because I couldn't figure out the problem. I did this because I thought maybe it had to do with the patches or the fact that I now play from back-up media rather than my OEM game discs. I tried a lot of different things, but that was one of them. Anyway, the thing that sucks is that I still only found gray MAGs playing on that PLUS disc. Which means that whatever this bug is, it apparently saves with your character data. FFS, why must you corrupt everything SEGA!!
HotteLunch - HUcast
Gaijin - RAcast
MintChip - FOnewearl
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Were you leading the game? The leader's client will generate bugged Mags if he's on a regular disc, no matter which disc you use.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Kayak
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kayak »

Let me know if you want colored mags, can host a game to get colored mags since I'm on plus.
Characters:
Kayak L200
Kat L200
Kate L200
Submarine L200
Magic Boat L200
Banan@ Boat
Jarrett
Katey
Tow Boat
Otto Baus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Otto Baus »

Kayak wrote:Let me know if you want colored mags, can host a game to get colored mags since I'm on plus.
Thank you, but I finally got the colors I wanted by just randomly creating characters with the right costume on a spare memcard until they finally had the color MAG I was looking for.
Aleron Ives wrote:Were you leading the game? The leader's client will generate bugged Mags if he's on a regular disc, no matter which disc you use.
This was tested solo online and also offline using both actual game discs and back-ups. Actual PLUS game disc was one of the ones tested. I can no longer find colored MAGs with any of my 3 mains in Mine 1 or 2, but I didn't try to find any in Ep2. I also have not tried with any new characters.

I have no idea why the official PLUS disc would no longer work for this if it is not bugged. But I have been playing primarily on non-PLUS for about a year, so perhaps there is some random flag which can be saved. I could also be caused somehow by the Xeno chip now that I think about it, as that does change how the CG reads all discs, not just DVD-R. This is why I cannot create my own ISO back-ups using the BBA. The Xeno patching corrupts the file.
HotteLunch - HUcast
Gaijin - RAcast
MintChip - FOnewearl
victoryrhoads
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by victoryrhoads »

So I've got a HUcast level 156 with 520+ hours.

I have been thinking for awhile that, if something happened to either my Dreamcast or my VMU, he would be completely lost.

So my questions are;

Is there a way I can back up my VMU save data?

and

If my Serial Key and Access Number are linked to my Dreamcast making it so I can't use my character on any other system other than the one I use him on- what could I do if my Dreamcast died?

Thanks in advance. - Ben
EBENEZER
HUcast
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

victoryrhoads wrote:So I've got a HUcast level 156 with 520+ hours.

I have been thinking for awhile that, if something happened to either my Dreamcast or my VMU, he would be completely lost.

So my questions are;

Is there a way I can back up my VMU save data?
If you have a BBA or one of those SD card adapters that plugs into the back of the console, then it's pretty easy to back up your save data. Otherwise, it's a lot more complicated to back everything up.

You can have the server automatically back up parts of your character data (your character's costume, level, stats, and inventory; but not your banked items, play time, challenge stats, or battle stats) either automatically (if you're registered on the server's website) or manually. However, that is only a partial backup, since a lot of that data never gets sent to the server. Still, it's probably better than nothing. :wink:
If my Serial Key and Access Number are linked to my Dreamcast making it so I can't use my character on any other system other than the one I use him on- what could I do if my Dreamcast died?
You can put the same serial number/access key on another system and use your VMU save just fine. Sega didn't let you go online if you did that (unless you called them up and got them to reset it on the server), but Sylverant has no such restrictions (and, if you registered the serial number/access key on the Sylverant site, you'd still get the same guild card number too, even on separate consoles).
victoryrhoads
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by victoryrhoads »

I seem to be having trouble backing up my stuff to the server. I created an account on Slyverant, and when I enter the /tlogin account tempPass - nothing happens. I type in /enablebk and it says I need to be logged in?
EBENEZER
HUcast
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

victoryrhoads wrote:I seem to be having trouble backing up my stuff to the server. I created an account on Slyverant, and when I enter the /tlogin account tempPass - nothing happens. I type in /enablebk and it says I need to be logged in?
Two questions:
1. Which ship are you trying this on?
2. Is the serial/access key you're using registered on the website to your account?
victoryrhoads
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by victoryrhoads »

1. Which ship are you trying this on?
It was Vega.

2. Is the serial/access key you're using registered on the website to your account?
I went to go enter it, but read the fine print that if I didn't own the keys, I'd be banned. I just sold the disc on eBay a month ago.

I'm just going to have to find some other method.
EBENEZER
HUcast