In The Line Of Fire - Coming Soon!

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

In The Line Of Fire - Coming Soon!

Post by PH3NOM »

So we have been making some large hints about the game we have been working on for Dreamcast, and now we have officially announced the name is "In The Line Of Fire"

This is a brand new First-Person Shooter exclusive to the Sega Dreamcast, featuring Single-Player and Multi-Player game modes.
The engine is not a port, but a brand new engine designed specifically for the Dreamcast.

We have released a very early access build of the game to select groups to spread awareness, and so far I am pleased with the response.
As I said, the build released is very early access and I can not stress how much more polished the final version will be.
If our project is successfully funded, we will pour our hearts and resources into this game and deliver something very special for Dreamcast fans indeed!

Thanks to our friends over at dc-hub:

And it seems some cool guys have started a thread on Reddit and Assembler Games

Not to forget to mention our critics over at Dreamcast Junkyard

A feature not included in the demo that has been released, today I share a first look at the Multi-Player mode:

At this point, our plan is to launch a Kickstarter project for $45k USD to allow us to put the needed resources into making this a reality.

I would like to hear from the community here, are you interested?

Thanks for taking a look my friends and please spread the word!
bogglez
Been thanked: 0

Re: In The Line Of Fire - Coming Soon!

Post by bogglez »

You're obviously putting in real effort, so I'll gladly support you. I hope there are other payment methods than PayPal though
Wiki & tutorials: http://dcemulation.org/?title=Development
Wiki feedback: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=103940
My libgl playground (not for production): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/libgl15
My lxdream fork (with small fixes): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/lxdream
juguefre
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by juguefre »

bogglez wrote:You're obviously putting in real effort, so I'll gladly support you. I hope there are other payment methods than PayPal though
Hi bogglez, I haven't ask Ph3nom but if you are unable use paypal I think we can take brazzers subscriptions..... :twisted:
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

It's awesome to see how this project has progressed. I look forward to what will hopefully be a very successful kickstarter (even if FPSes aren't my thing). :grin:
bogglez wrote:You're obviously putting in real effort, so I'll gladly support you. I hope there are other payment methods than PayPal though
Kickstarter doesn't actually allow PayPal, so if that's the route they're going (as PH3NOM has said in the first post), then you'll be able to use any credit card to pitch in.
pcwzrd13
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Day 1 backer right here! :grin: I do hope online multiplayer will be a stretch goal. There are an increasing number of people playing Dreamcast online every day thanks to DreamPi so I'm sure there would be a lot of interest.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Granted this project is more interesting than that 3D rail shooter with that really weird disproportionate girl as the protagonist... I think their target was less than 45K and they had Tulio from Water Melon on board.

45K is a large amount for pre-orders.

Also people don't like Kickstarter pre-orders especially since none of them have ever released on time. Indie or otherwise.
juguefre
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by juguefre »

cube_b3 wrote:Granted this project is more interesting than that 3D rail shooter with that really weird disproportionate girl as the protagonist... I think their target was less than 45K and they had Tulio from Water Melon on board.

45K is a large amount for pre-orders.

Also people don't like Kickstarter pre-orders especially since none of them have ever released on time. Indie or otherwise.
Hi cube_b3,

I will not make any comparisons between our project and any other project, each project select their aesthetics based on their needs and criteria.

Their target was 90K+ and even if it was less or more we didn't established our minimal goal based on what other teams/projects goal was, we know what we need to cover the expenses during a certain period of time to make the game, from that simple fact comes our minimal goal.

Kickstarter in general have a problem with people starting projects and they don't have the requirements to make such projects a reality (the magical bottle that fills itself with water comes to mind), I think at this moment we have proven we have the required skills to make this game.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Good luck!
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

This looks amazing. Congratulations on getting the game to a playable state - that's the most important part of any successful kickstarter - a working concept. The next most important thing is social media presence. It's pretty much the number one factor in what separates a successful Kickstarter from an unsuccessful one - especially when it's on a console with a fan base that's as niche and spread out as the Dreamcast.

Don't fall for those offers from people who offer to do it for you (you'll get a TON of PMs and e-mails from these types of people - you can do the same with a cheap Facebook ad and bi or tri-weekly twitter/Facebook updates (and at least weekly Kickstarter updates when the campaign is running).

Don't be afraid to submit a press release and a demo to mainstream sites (even those not specifically targeted to games - like USA Today - as they've covered Kickstarter projects before). They might not feature you, but it doesn't hurt to try. The game sites might do so because of the quality of your game (especially Kotaku or Joystiq - though bigger ones such as IGN might as well). A nice professional press release is the thing that will do wonders - as well as a press packet - make sure you have a website set up with high resolution screenshots and high resolution logos for your project for the press.

And as for your Kickstarter updates - make sure to stay engaged. I've seen that the most successful Kickstarters are the ones that give their fans incentive to help out on social media. Give rewards such as concept art, music clips, exclusive videos, behind the scenes footage, etc. for hitting specific targets (ie: 100 Followers on your Facebook page, 50 re-tweets, etc).

I do think that it is possible for a Dreamcast game to make such a target if you treat your campaign like a full time job (and the fact that it looks really impressive will help too). :)

Good luck - and you'll be getting another early backer in me once the Kickstarter goes live. :D
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

MetaFox wrote:The game sites might do so because of the quality of your game (especially Kotaku or Joystiq
Joystiq doesn't exist anymore since February 3, 2015.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

Like i said in other thread this whole project looks amazing and i will support at kickstarter and do my best to spread news in my country.
May i ask you about the game. What it going to be like? Arena based like Quake3 & UT or walkthroughs based like Half-Life?
Will multi-player mode have online features support?
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Is a gameplay trailer/footage vid up anywhere?

Looking forward to this!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Eviltaco64X wrote:Is a gameplay trailer/footage vid up anywhere?

Looking forward to this!
Here.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

mankrip wrote:
Eviltaco64X wrote:Is a gameplay trailer/footage vid up anywhere?

Looking forward to this!
Here.
Thank you, watching now. :)
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

This looks absolutely amazing!
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

I understand that I may sound like a total asshole and dickhead, but graphics looks a little bit rusty, even by Dreamcast standards.
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
bogglez

Post by bogglez »

RyoDC wrote:I understand that I may sound like a total asshole and dickhead, but graphics looks a little bit rusty, even by Dreamcast standards.
You don't sound like a dickhead, just keep in mind that it's work in progress.
This mostly looks bland because of missing environment shadows, fog amd particle effects. And they could crank up the polygon count on objects, but they said they want to add more detail already.
Mapping is done in iterations and the mapper said in the video that he's not done. This version is mostly for testing the gameplay regarding the layout of the level.

With shadows it will look more like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GpEYvABt9yc
Then you add a particle effect for smoke out of vents etc and things come to life.
Wiki & tutorials: http://dcemulation.org/?title=Development
Wiki feedback: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=103940
My libgl playground (not for production): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/libgl15
My lxdream fork (with small fixes): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/lxdream
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

bogglez wrote:With shadows it will look more like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GpEYvABt9yc
Then you add a particle effect for smoke out of vents etc and things come to life.
Yep, looks like its a level for debugging purposes.
Also, i think they should make textures less repetitive, it will add some level of realism to the final product.
Can't wait to see what it will be in the end.
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
Doctor Dan
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Doctor Dan »

pcwzrd13 wrote:I do hope online multiplayer will be a stretch goal. There are an increasing number of people playing Dreamcast online every day thanks to DreamPi so I'm sure there would be a lot of interest.
+1
do it