Sylverant Feature Suggestions

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Sylverant Feature Suggestions

Post by BlueCrab »

kevlarAK wrote:I have a suggestion about quests. Would it be possible to list the available quests for download from the Sylverant server and a brief description? Approximate range of completion time as well? Along with the reward? I know on pso-world, there is a comprehensive listing of all the quests for PSO. Some of the custom quests here, I had not heard of. That being said, thanks for all you do for the community. PSO really is my favorite game of all time. I would play it more if my wife didn't hate the game so much. haha
Ives, care to take that on? Feel free to do it on the already existent Quests page on the website. :wink:
kevlarAK
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kevlarAK »

BlueCrab wrote:
kevlarAK wrote:I have a suggestion about quests. Would it be possible to list the available quests for download from the Sylverant server and a brief description? Approximate range of completion time as well? Along with the reward? I know on pso-world, there is a comprehensive listing of all the quests for PSO. Some of the custom quests here, I had not heard of. That being said, thanks for all you do for the community. PSO really is my favorite game of all time. I would play it more if my wife didn't hate the game so much. haha
Ives, care to take that on? Feel free to do it on the already existent Quests page on the website. :wink:
Thanks in advance if this happens! I played too much Challenge Mode, and Time Attack for that matter, to have completed all the online quests back in the day. I plan on playing some of the quests I downloaded this weekend, once the wife and kids are asleep. I really need to find a spare mem card to save all the quests to. I am going to have to "clear out the fridge" to make room as it is. :lol:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Do you mean something like this?

http://sylverant.net/quest-list/

:P
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:Do you mean something like this?

http://sylverant.net/quest-list/

:P
He asked for descriptions too. Those certainly aren't there. :wink:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

True, but when you actually try to download them on the server, you can read the descriptions there by pressing X on the quest name. 8-)
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:True, but when you actually try to download them on the server, you can read the descriptions there by pressing X on the quest name. 8-)
Still, it doesn't hurt to provide a description that might even be more descriptive (suggested level before attempting to play the offline quests, for instance, might be nice) -- plus, it might attract people who would otherwise have never connected in the first place. :grin:
kevlarAK
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by kevlarAK »

BlueCrab wrote:
Aleron Ives wrote:True, but when you actually try to download them on the server, you can read the descriptions there by pressing X on the quest name. 8-)
Still, it doesn't hurt to provide a description that might even be more descriptive (suggested level before attempting to play the offline quests, for instance, might be nice) -- plus, it might attract people who would otherwise have never connected in the first place. :grin:
I was hoping for something along these lines from pso-world.com :

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?o ... artid=1590

Granted, this would be a lot of work. Maybe I am asking for the moon here. Maybe just a general listing of the quests only available on Sylverant. Since I am sure I could just go to pso-world.com and find what I need on the common quests.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You don't really expect quest developers to spoil every aspect of their quests and tell you how to do everything from day one, do you? :roll: It's the job of the players to figure out how stuff works and then to write guides if they so desire. It's not like Sega created the guides on PSO-W; players did. Everybody had to start from scratch when the quests were first released. I do give hints on stuff now and then since it's not like we have 10 000 players who are all trying to figure out how stuff works anymore, but I don't reveal secrets on day one, either.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Doctor Dan
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Idea: Adding in-game Dreamcast Now notifications to server

Post by Doctor Dan »

I thought something like displaying "(user) is playing (game)" / "(user) is online" on-screen, in-game, like the output for the /commands when someone connects to any game and Dreamcast Now updates their status. It would be similar to Xbox 360 notifications, and that would be pretty fantastic if something like that were implemented on Sylverant

It could also pave the way, or set a standard, for others to implement that into new or existing servers if they can display text on the screen globally to all current players

What do others think of this idea, whether or not it is implemented?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I have nothing to do with the Dreamcast Now project nor would I have any way to access that data in a sensible manner.
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

A Feature which might be easy to implement: word-select translate.

There are some categories the Dreamcast Players are missing (e.g. challenge mode) - it would be nice to translate those, to regular Chat.

I know that they wouldn't be able to answer by word select, but that isn't necessary often, like "I'm gonna throw the Switch, get ready to run." - I dont expect an answer to that.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

KuromoriYu wrote:A Feature which might be easy to implement: word-select translate.

There are some categories the Dreamcast Players are missing (e.g. challenge mode) - it would be nice to translate those, to regular Chat.

I know that they wouldn't be able to answer by word select, but that isn't necessary often, like "I'm gonna throw the Switch, get ready to run." - I dont expect an answer to that.
That's actually something that's been on my list for a while, albeit pretty low priority -- mainly because of how much work it'd be to deal with getting all of the different languages' data (and the more mechanical things like getting word ordering correct where it differs from English and things like that).

Plus, then I might feel the need to "fix" Sega's mistakes in Word Select too.... :lol:
Tymek
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Tymek »

So, how about that server-side prevention of item deletion, huh? :P
A certain testing entity has filled me in on what and why.
It should get a high priority.
In my possesion:
PHANTASY STAR ONLINE EPISODE I & II (Gamecube)

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE EPISODE III:
C.A.R.D. Revolution (Gamecube)

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE
NETWORK TRIAL EDITION (Dreamcast)
Kayak
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kayak »

Tymek wrote:So, how about that server-side prevention of item deletion, huh? :P
This and also having perhaps an option of what patches we want applied server side? For those of us who still use the hardware and don't have a mod chip, this would be very useful. I have a feeling there will also be many other useful bug fixes in the future that will improve overall gameplay.
Characters:
Kayak L200
Kat L200
Kate L200
Submarine L200
Magic Boat L200
Banan@ Boat
Jarrett
Katey
Tow Boat
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Kayak wrote:
This and also having perhaps an option of what patches we want applied server side? For those of us who still use the hardware and don't have a mod chip, this would be very useful. I have a feeling there will also be many other useful bug fixes in the future that will improve overall gameplay.
That is indeed part of the plan. What has been currently discussed was that it would be controlled via the website (since all Gamecube users have to register anyway, it fits nicely there).

Alas, work on my research for my Ph.D. has to take priority at the moment. :wink:
Kayak
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kayak »

BlueCrab wrote:
Kayak wrote:
That is indeed part of the plan. What has been currently discussed was that it would be controlled via the website (since all Gamecube users have to register anyway, it fits nicely there).

Alas, work on my research for my Ph.D. has to take priority at the moment. :wink:
Was curious of an update on this. Also, I was wondering if it were possible to add an in game command to show what area/floor players are on.
Characters:
Kayak L200
Kat L200
Kate L200
Submarine L200
Magic Boat L200
Banan@ Boat
Jarrett
Katey
Tow Boat
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

There's nothing to report as I've had no time to work on it.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Regarding features, I know there is a /setlvl command for rooms which requires a user to be a certain level to be able to join. Would the inverse be possible too. For example when I am playing in hard mode and a lvl150 user joins to "help" out our team again and again it gets quite annoying.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Nico0020 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:49 am Regarding features, I know there is a /setlvl command for rooms which requires a user to be a certain level to be able to join. Would the inverse be possible too. For example when I am playing in hard mode and a lvl150 user joins to "help" out our team again and again it gets quite annoying.
I assume that you mean setting a maximum level on a team? That's what the /maxlvl command is for. :wink:

Also, with regard to the existing command for setting the minimum, it's /minlvl, not /setlvl.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The /minlvl and /maxlvl commands aren't well known, but they're very useful for preventing the situations you describe. If you're playing in Normal and want to prevent level 100 players from coming in and destroying everything, you can use /maxlvl 20 to keep them out. On the other hand, if you're playing Ultimate Ruins and don't want level 80 players to come in and get their asses handed to them, you can use /minlvl 120.
"Fear the HUnewearl."