Sylverant Feature Suggestions

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Sylverant Feature Suggestions

Post by BlueCrab »

I'm not sure if it's possible to do sanely, but that might be worth a look. No promises on timeframe though.

Also, the server does know what level techs you have, at least what you have when you join a team. Tech levels are (of course) contained in the character data, so there's that. I don't think the packets for casting a tech have the levels in them, so the server wouldn't really have to care about that.

EDIT: Never mind... The packets do have the level of the tech in them. :roll:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has thanked: 0

Post by Aleron Ives »

Well, it would be fairly simple to do in a hackish manner, I suppose. When you join a team, the server could make note of all the Techniques you have and what levels they are, and then every time you use the command for a specific Technique, the server would launch it at that particular level (assuming doing so causes you to use the casting animation and have your TP drain appropriately).

There's no way for the server to know if you use a new disk, since it doesn't track your inventory yet, but it's not exactly a huge burden for you to need to rejoin the team to update the levels you can cast with the commands, since it's not exactly a supported feature of the game (and when you're in Ultimate, you're not going to be using new disks often, if ever).
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Lexaraj
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lexaraj »

Wow, that's pretty cool. I honestly didn't expect there to be an actual possibility of it working. It's be really awesome if that worked properly, with a casting animation/TP usage and all that.

Also, one other potential idea, is it possible to make the server edit 'triggers' on your character/file? The main/only example I can think of would be having online play 'save' your offline progress. That way you could, say, beat the Mines on Hard online and access to the Hard Ruins Offline, without beating it Offline originally.

I don't know the limitations of what can be edited, or how much is hard coded into the game, but this would be super useful. The only reason I ever play offline is to gain Story mode access so I can have the progress saved when I go online and make my own games.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Pflags get set both online and offline, but they don't save in online mode, which is why you have to play offline to make the areas stay open permanently. The only way to avoid having to unlock everything offline is to make and download a haxquest that sets every relevant pflag all at once, thus causing everything to unlock instantly (which obviously we're not going to do).
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Lexaraj
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Lexaraj »

Ahhh gotcha. Yeah, a quest like that would just feel like outright cheating. (Which it essentially would be)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:Could you at least set it to only send you one reminder to check the website instead of spamming you every time you change blocks?
Welp, this is now (in theory) implemented by the website and shipgate.

Go forth and test! :lol:
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Hopefully this year Sylverant will integrate and offer on its site, a patched version of the official free demo released by Sega, so newcomers can try PSO. This way the server can grow even bigger! This is a top priority 2016 goal for Sylverant, I'd say :lol: The bigest challenge may be how to set up a way to manage GC numbers appropriately for this version heh?... Any progress on this?
elfangor
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by elfangor »

Hello,

Could it be possible to create a subforum "PSO Players" just under "PSO Gameplay", it would be a place where we can write about our avatars...
Nintendo Gamecube Addict
Playing from Fr. and leveling up slowly...
Playing with a Sammy Keyboard on a black Gamecube with a BBA
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Why not make a thread for it? I don't think we need an entire forum section filled with one topic per person, as that would be hard to navigate. :wink:
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:Why not make a thread for it? I don't think we need an entire forum section filled with one topic per person, as that would be hard to navigate. :wink:
I'll second that with a bit of an addition...

If a topic devoted to the discussion becomes unwieldy, then I'll consider a subforum for it.
Treamcaster wrote:Hopefully this year Sylverant will integrate and offer on its site, a patched version of the official free demo released by Sega, so newcomers can try PSO. This way the server can grow even bigger! This is a top priority 2016 goal for Sylverant, I'd say :lol: The bigest challenge may be how to set up a way to manage GC numbers appropriately for this version heh?... Any progress on this?
Truth be told, no I haven't worked on that at all lately. My time has been somewhat limited, and bigger fish caught my attention than that. I'm not entirely positive that there's any real reason to do so, other than for completion's sake. :wink:

Also, I don't know that I intend to ever offer the client up for download, even if it was one that Sega gave away for free. :wink:
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

Feature Suggestion for these track-kills Events:
- multiply the actual number of killed enemies by a factor which takes into account the player level in relation to the difficulty.
e.g. LVL80 char hunting in normal: Minimum Level fpor difficulty: 1, actual Level: 80 -> factor = 1/80

This would safe us (some guys) from playing way overpowered - which is no fun, and unfair.

Regards
Kuromori Yu

Another Feature Suggestion, well - more a question if it would be possible:

"Arcade Mode- Teams /-Quests / Characters":
by arcade mode i mean, that you char's Level, and gear is reset to certain state at beginning of quest / joining of game.
After game - your char is back to the old values.
Kinda like challenge mode (but for all kinds of difficulties - maybe only in "Special" quests).

Edit:
What would be almost as good: a Server command which would set your char to certain Level / equip at join game.
e.g. Player uses "/setlevel ULTFOREST" - which would reset your char at join to like a lvl85HU with some gear - tuned for good gameplay (not too easy)

(both of the above would only be usefull, if it was temporary Change of char, and not permanent)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

KuromoriYu wrote:Feature Suggestion for these track-kills Events:
- multiply the actual number of killed enemies by a factor which takes into account the player level in relation to the difficulty.
e.g. LVL80 char hunting in normal: Minimum Level fpor difficulty: 1, actual Level: 80 -> factor = 1/80

This would safe us (some guys) from playing way overpowered - which is no fun, and unfair.
If you're referring to the current leader, he's actually been playing on Ultimate the whole time, so it's not going to drop his in a significant manner. :wink:

Plus, that formula doesn't necessarily make things fair at all. Different character classes can't necessarily solo each difficulty at the same level. Also, I don't think anyone's going to be taking Falz on online at level 1, even in Normal difficulty, and get the kill.
Another Feature Suggestion, well - more a question if it would be possible:

"Arcade Mode- Teams /-Quests / Characters":
by arcade mode i mean, that you char's Level, and gear is reset to certain state at beginning of quest / joining of game.
After game - your char is back to the old values.
Kinda like challenge mode (but for all kinds of difficulties - maybe only in "Special" quests).

Edit:
What would be almost as good: a Server command which would set your char to certain Level / equip at join game.
e.g. Player uses "/setlevel ULTFOREST" - which would reset your char at join to like a lvl85HU with some gear - tuned for good gameplay (not too easy)

(both of the above would only be usefull, if it was temporary Change of char, and not permanent)
Unfortuntely, this would be rather difficult to do in a safe manner.

Keeping track of your inventory isn't necessarily a hard thing to do. Keeping track of your stats isn't hard to do either. Modifying either of these is also very easy on certain versions of the game. However, let's assume for the moment that I have something in place that I trust 100% to do so on the server side, and to be able to reset your character data once you leave a team. What happens if you disconnect in the middle of playing? Your memory card file will be overwritten with whatever you had in that team, that's what will happen.

Since all saving takes place on the client side for all versions other than Blue Burst, there's no real way to do this safely. A neat idea, but impossible in practice, sadly.
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

Well - it might be still nice in an unsafe manner - sure, you wouldn't do it on your main char, or you wouldn't even do it at all on DC cause lack of VMU. but on PC I could waste some save slots for those kinds of games (one for each class hehe). And maybe so could some DC people.
Spoiler!
If someone decides to cheat his level up (by pulling out his memcard, or just reset DC/ kill PSO.exe) - so be it. It can be done anyways.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Only Challenge and Battle quests allow you to temporarily modify your character data in such a way that the changes don't become permanent if you quit and save, but nobody knows how the Challenge character manipulation happens. Most likely the game contains predefined character states for each stage and summons the correct one within each quest.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

My suggestion is to disable the options versions permissions to create rooms
this because who plays psov2 usually leaves pso v1 allowed players to access the room
most of the time ... say 99.9% of the time I enter into a ship
There is a fair amount of players allowed but never a room for dc version v1 allowed
so I can say I'm almost always playing online / offline at the same time...it's very sad :(
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

legit nyck wrote:My suggestion is to disable the options versions permissions to create rooms
this because who plays psov2 usually leaves pso v1 allowed players to access the room
most of the time ... say 99.9% of the time I enter into a ship
There is a fair amount of players allowed but never a room for dc version v1 allowed
so I can say I'm almost always playing online / offline at the same time...it's very sad :(
You can't disable that prompt in the Dreamcast version 2.

Not only that, but doing so would essentially mean disabling all the version 2 quests, the Ultimate difficulty, and Battle and Challenge modes. That's certainly not something I'm going to do.

In the end, the best thing to do is to get a copy of Version 2. Very few people play with Version 1, and that's not likely to change. My suggestion if you can't get a copy of Version 2 for a fair price is to try to organize times to play so that the teams can be created with Version 1 support.
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

Coming back to the "arcade mode" - how about this feature:

lobby-command: "/setlevel [NAMEDSETTING]" where namedsetting is "normalforest", "normalcaves", ... "vhardruins",...
optional: you can only go to lower level (to dicourage cheating)
optional: you have to enter yet another command after first, to verify (like "/iknowtherisks")

optional: command to "rollback" (totally optional - if feature is implemented, i would probably create a copy of char, and use that char to lowerlevel)

the namedsettings would have predefined level and equip (itempack, bank can't be changed AFAIK)
The Equipment would be standard stuff, which nobody would want to dupe - the only problematic Equipment would be MAG, but the predefined mag could be real bad, with lots of wasted levels (dex?!), and bad PBs)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I think it's safe to say that there will never be any commands that allow the server to arbitrarily overwrite your character data with predefined values, regardless of the intent behind such commands. Nobody would want to risk their real character data for such a feature, anyway. The only reason people are willing to play Battle and Challenge is that the game has safeguards to prevent your character's temporary stats from becoming permanent, but freeplay has no such safeguards. These commands would lead to a support nightmare of people complaining about character corruptions and PSO PC "damaged save data" errors.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:I think it's safe to say that there will never be any commands that allow the server to arbitrarily overwrite your character data with predefined values, regardless of the intent behind such commands. Nobody would want to risk their real character data for such a feature, anyway. The only reason people are willing to play Battle and Challenge is that the game has safeguards to prevent your character's temporary stats from becoming permanent, but freeplay has no such safeguards. These commands would lead to a support nightmare of people complaining about character corruptions and PSO PC "damaged save data" errors.
Exactly what I was thinking.

As I said before, it's a neat idea in theory... But it is impossible to do in practice safely, and I refuse to compromise safety for such a thing.
kevlarAK
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by kevlarAK »

I have a suggestion about quests. Would it be possible to list the available quests for download from the Sylverant server and a brief description? Approximate range of completion time as well? Along with the reward? I know on pso-world, there is a comprehensive listing of all the quests for PSO. Some of the custom quests here, I had not heard of. That being said, thanks for all you do for the community. PSO really is my favorite game of all time. I would play it more if my wife didn't hate the game so much. haha