PSO PC Windowed: Correct aspect ratio

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

TulioAdriano
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: PSO PC Windowed: Correct aspect ratio

Post by TulioAdriano »

Whoa! Thanks for the feedback.

Perhaps I should make a note then that this loader should only be used with a stock PSO for now.
There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binaries and those who don't.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has thanked: 0

Post by Aleron Ives »

tueidj wrote:So why would that need vertical padding to properly display a 4:3 image?
It needs horizontal padding (letterboxing), not vertical padding (pillarboxing).

As for the loader, kudos for injecting the PSO icon into the window. That white rectangle icon is just too bland. :lol:
"Fear the HUnewearl."
tueidj
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by tueidj »

Aleron Ives wrote:It needs horizontal padding (letterboxing), not vertical padding (pillarboxing).
Horizontal padding (adding black bars to the left+right sides to expand/pad the horizontal dimension) is pillarboxing. Vertical padding (adding black bars to the top and bottom to expand/pad the vertical dimension) is letterboxing.
TulioAdriano
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by TulioAdriano »

Aleron Ives wrote:As for the loader, kudos for injecting the PSO icon into the window. That white rectangle icon is just too bland. :lol:
Well once again, the credits go to BlueCrab. :D
Last edited by TulioAdriano on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binaries and those who don't.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

OK, I should have used the word "bars", not "padding". I'll leave it at that so Tulio can get back to discussing his loader. :lol:
"Fear the HUnewearl."
TulioAdriano
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by TulioAdriano »

Another update! Now you can enable or disable the IP Patch, and the loader also includes a box to let you type a custom IP address to connect to.

Disabling the IP patch doesn't serve any purpose since you won't be able to go online (unless you run your own DNS server like I do). As for the server address, as far as I'm aware, only sylverant.net exists right now, so that box doesn't have any use, but if new servers come in the future, or if you want to use the loader to connect to your own personal server, that makes it possible. Typing a direct IP address is also possible.

That's it for now... now it may be a while until another update come, except for bug fixes if someone finds something.

Enjoy!
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Man, thanks for the IP patcher update. Now the loader's perfect.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Treamcaster wrote:Man, thanks for the IP patcher update. Now the loader's perfect.
Out of curiosity, why do you care? It's not like we have anywhere else to go anymore, unless you want to play on your LAN. :lol:
"Fear the HUnewearl."
TulioAdriano
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by TulioAdriano »

Well, I know and believe this community is the most serious and dedicated to PSO and I hope it lives until the end of times.

But when I found here, I noticed that the dead schthack server was the reference for all things PSO, but it died eventually. I don't want and don't believe Sylverant will ever die, but if for some reason I do :death: (or something prevents me from continuing to support my loader) I wanted to make sure that it is future proof.

Turns out that I could only test it on my LAN regarding connecting to other server anyway. As I mentioned above, that's a very useless setting but I just felt that it was needed to make it complete, since the IP patch wasn't optional before. And since I made it optional, I felt it was only natural to make it also an option to tell where it connects to. :P :P
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Aleron Ives wrote:
Treamcaster wrote:Man, thanks for the IP patcher update. Now the loader's perfect.
Out of curiosity, why do you care? It's not like we have anywhere else to go anymore, unless you want to play on your LAN. :lol:
TulioAdriano wrote:I don't want and don't believe Sylverant will ever die, but if for some reason I do :death: (or something prevents me from continuing to support my loader) I wanted to make sure that it is future proof.

Turns out that I could only test it on my LAN regarding connecting to other server anyway. As I mentioned above, that's a very useless setting but I just felt that it was needed to make it complete, since the IP patch wasn't optional before. And since I made it optional, I felt it was only natural to make it also an option to tell where it connects to. :P :P
Everything Tulio just said basically! :grin:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Don't get me wrong; I agree that it's important to be able to determine where PSO connects. I'm just not sure why you'd want to change the connection address on such a frequent basis that it needs to be in a loader. It would make sense if there were multiple servers to play on (e.g. SCHTServ and L33tserv for GC players in the past), but it's unlikely that there will ever be multiple public DC/PC servers to choose from in the future, and while the Sylverant project may not have an official ship forever, it's still likely that you'd just patch pso.exe once to connect to your new server of choice and then leave it alone.

Of course, I feel the same way about a lot of other patches (set it and forget it), so I guess that ship has sailed. :P
"Fear the HUnewearl."
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

I do switch servers from time to time, even if it's just to check things out, like checking the amount of players on Izakaya for example (relying on other players doesn't really work), i also sometimes use my own personal server to test quests, just like unusual treesome 9 that another person ported, if i need to take some clear screenshots without my char then i do need to hop online to do a tiny trick to make my char dissapear, If sylverant is offline i can simply change servers to do that trick again, sadly doing it offline doesn't work.
Finnaly but not least the high resolution demo exes that i released have pretty much no ip, so you need ip patch to change them, my idea was to initially release them with sylverant ip adress, but i changed my mind before i did that.

Ip patch is mainly meant for those that actually change the ip adress or need to change it at some given point in time.
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

To put it simple, I think it's a feature that doesn't hurt to have around and while one may even never use it, it is there just in case it's needed and so there's no need to resort to any other app. It's cool to have a loader that's like a swiss knife ya know.
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Just tried Kireeks High res .exe with the loader and something is broken. Game doesn't connect to the server and then crashes.
TulioAdriano
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by TulioAdriano »

Yes, I think he reported it on page 2 of this thread.
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Did you atleast ip patch it?
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:Did you atleast ip patch it?
I just used Tulios loader with the supposed IP patch applied.
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Ip patch seems to be working, the game will only crash if you select window mode
I can say that the 1st launcher on post 1 does let you resize the window, the other one with all the new stuff only let's you resize the window if you tick the "window mode" option and that causes it to crash on launch.

Other than that the launcher is great, i like it.
TulioAdriano
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by TulioAdriano »

Yeah the first application (resizer) was calling MoveWindow API while the new one uses SetWindowPos. Clearly the latter is not very friendly to the highrez PSO then. I'll download the high rez executables later and give it a try.
TulioAdriano
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by TulioAdriano »

They say when you're chasing something so much, and not finding a solution, when you distract yourself with other stuff your brain continues the work in a "lower priority process running in background".

Well yesterday that process just returned with a result, and finally I was able to make PSO run full screen, without changing the monitor resolution and adding borders when the screen is not 4:3.

Additionally now when the game is being launched, the launcher will also check if a controller is connected and let you know if it isn't, effectively giving you a chance to plug it in before the game launches. :mrgreen:

Download the new launcher at the usual location.
Usage and descriptions of the new features are in the readme.txt file.

I didn't test it much though, so if some bug occurs, be sure to let me know.

Enjoy!