Sylverant Feature Suggestions

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sylverant Feature Suggestions

Post by Aleron Ives »

CCA is also solable, as are all the PW quests. ;) I did patch the quests with arbitrary multiplayer doors to be solable on Altimira, but GC can't play there, so it doesn't help him.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sir Rappington »

I will also admit that at current levels, online is much harder than offline for my characters when soloing. There's a certain power gap there, I think, between midgame and endgame characters... my RAmar doesn't hit hard enough and my HUnewearl has obvious ATA issues, both of which are lessened or eliminated offline. Were I to bring my old 160-200s online and solo Ruins I'd probably be just fine (2-pad doors notwithstanding), whereas offline it'd be trivial at that level. Conversely, I couldn't play it solo online with my current RAmar - I needed at least one other person to offset how crappy my ATP currently is by comparison. :P

So yeah. This is not so much "accommodate me plz" as "this is just the solution I'm using right now and I have to wonder if I'm not the only one." :wink:
Old GC player from ~05-08, casually playing a new set of chars on Dolphin. Messages over Discord will find me fastest :)

Capt.Durple (RAmar, high ult lvl)
LaserLemon (HUnewearl, high ult)
Winterleaf (FOmarl, mid ult)
Pocket Tank (HUcaseal, mid ult)
Tin Can Dan (RAcast, mid ult)
Dr. NOPE (FOnewm, mid ult)
OliverLeo (HUmar, low ult)
Firebolt (RAmarl, low ult)
DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

After speaking to Ives, I learned that the identifier (Primary key) of the saved character data is a combination of Serial-number and character-name.

I suggest to further include these "fields" (all of those are "frozen" after creation):
- character class
- character body-proportions

Like this, the user can have multiple chars with the same name (and even class!), and still be able to use "/enablebk" and "/save n" for all of them, without overwriting old save.

Reason I ask - I have multiple chars with username "Kuromori Yu", most are HUcast. One of them is my main-char, the others are just cmode-chars...but they will destroy my "real" backup when I play with those chars.

This should be fairly easy to implement (the data is there!)

Regards
Kuromori Yu

P.S.:
After thinking some more about it - my suggestion has one flaw....a big one...
If you loose the char, for whatever reason, it would be near impossible to "recreate the char" exactly as it is. And hence the "primary key" would be different, and save unavailable... so my idea would work alright for minor backup purposes (like lost weaps or so) but not full char loss...
One could use additional info char-class in primary key....but - this wouldn't help everytime (see above, multiple HUct, all named "Kuromori Yu")
FaithY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by FaithY »

Suggestion: have the "Website" option in the main menu reroute to Sylverant.net
:mrgreen:
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

FaithY wrote:Suggestion: have the "Website" option in the main menu reroute to Sylverant.net
Unfortunately, the Sylverant site doesn't tend to look so good in the Dreamcast browser. Unfortunately, except for very basic on HTML, the Dreamcast browser kinda barfs on just about everything.
KuromoriYu wrote:After speaking to Ives, I learned that the identifier (Primary key) of the saved character data is a combination of Serial-number and character-name.

I suggest to further include these "fields" (all of those are "frozen" after creation):
- character class
- character body-proportions

Like this, the user can have multiple chars with the same name (and even class!), and still be able to use "/enablebk" and "/save n" for all of them, without overwriting old save.

Reason I ask - I have multiple chars with username "Kuromori Yu", most are HUcast. One of them is my main-char, the others are just cmode-chars...but they will destroy my "real" backup when I play with those chars.

This should be fairly easy to implement (the data is there!)

Regards
Kuromori Yu

P.S.:
After thinking some more about it - my suggestion has one flaw....a big one...
If you loose the char, for whatever reason, it would be near impossible to "recreate the char" exactly as it is. And hence the "primary key" would be different, and save unavailable... so my idea would work alright for minor backup purposes (like lost weaps or so) but not full char loss...
One could use additional info char-class in primary key....but - this wouldn't help everytime (see above, multiple HUct, all named "Kuromori Yu")
As you've already pointed out, using proportions doesn't help matters at all for backup purposes, and just using character class doesn't really help all that much either. I had considered a few different options when I implemented the whole character backup system, and ended up just going with the system in place (which is actually guildcard number + character name, not serial number + character name, by the way).
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

There's no point in trying to back up Challenge mules, anyway, since the server can't save their scores. All you need to do is use the regular /save command on the "real" Kuromori Yu, and then you're set without ever enabling /autobk at all.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

Feature suggestion: fix the damn loginpage! it takes literally forever (if it works at all!) to login.
I am using InternetExplorer btw, with Opera (my regular browser) it does not work at all (that is OK)....but there is something really wrong with the homepage... :(

(it sucks to waste 5-10min of your life only to read that one offline-message you got)

Even better: rather then send offline message "You got mail", simply send the real message, if needed split up into two, cause you would need a header like "sent on dd.MM.yyyy HH:mm:ss UTC:" (the header can be shorter too like [offline -2h] or so...

Regards
Kuromori, Yu

P.S.: sorry for rant - but lets face it - the homepage sucks...big time :P
P.P.S: i also tried "remember me" before - which does not work at all either (my hope was that the tedious login would be history then)...maybe all of the above works in some obscure browser (maybe even popular - but still you cannot force people to use a certain browser)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You need to set your browser to accept the login cookie, because it works fine. I always stay logged in.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Unfortunately, the webpage gets slow because people like to DDoS PSO servers. There's not much I can do about that, especially for any parts that require logging in.

As for sending messages on login, that doesn't work simply because there's a limit to how many messages you can have in the game at a time. Go over that limit and *pouf* you've missed messages. Plus, if I'm splitting it up so I can add the date/timestamps, then you run out 2x as fast. Note: this is much more of a problem on DC/PC than it is on GC/BB, but the fact remains that the majority of the server's population is still DC/PC. :wink:

As for the remember me button, it works fine in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, amongst others that I tested. If it isn't working for you, you're probably blocking the cookie for some reason (or causing it to expire automatically at the end of the session). That's definitely a problem on your end.
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

well...alright then - guess i need to install another browser or live with a login which feels like a decade.

Thanks for the information.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Could you at least set it to only send you one reminder to check the website instead of spamming you every time you change blocks? Alternatively, you could just dispense with offline mail altogether and instead have the server check to see if the recipient of your message is online when you send it, and if he isn't, the server would instantly send you a reply saying the recipient isn't available to receive the message you sent. Having the server harass you to check the website all the time gets really annoying. :P
"Fear the HUnewearl."
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

I think that disabling offline mail alltogether isn't what should be done. it is kinda a nice feature. But the only send once might be a good, and easy to implement feature (add one column in DB "sentreminder", include that in DB-query, done.)

P.S:well..also set that flag...and live with some lost reminders to keep it simple
P.P.S: lost in case you can't verify the receiving of the message, or it would make matters more complicated.
P.P.P.S (sorry): new column "sentreminderdate" -> send one reminder per day.
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

I wonder - would it be possible to implement "PSO2" style drops on V1/V2 via sdrops?

PSO2-style: everybody has their own set of drops, which nobody else can pickup or even see.

Regards
Kuromori, Yu
tueidj
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tueidj »

In theory it's fairly easy to limit the "drop event" being delivered to only individual players, but it's a lot more complicated to make the server track the items and make them actually work as expected (since picking items up is meant to be negotiated with/handled by the leader).
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Warframe also deploys the same system, each drop can be picked up by the players, however players have exploited this by trading said items if they had extra accounts in the same match, multiplying each drop (especially end mission rewards) by several times.
PSO v2 has the trading replacement, that is when you drop said items into the ground, meaning that you can multiply said rare drops to the point of keeping one and trading the other 3 (from the other 3 accounts)

Creating items in PSO isn't exactly hard, but dreamcast users do have a hindrance, that difficults the creation of multiple items, however if the server had such a system, players would easily exploit it.
Finding a Luminous Field is one thing, finding 4 of them is another.
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

In PSO2 Style (at least how it is implemented on Ephinea) every Players Drops are completely separate.

e.g. Booma Drops monomate for player1, nothing for player2, solatomizer for player3, etc.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I'm not sure how easily that could be done for anything other than Blue Burst, unfortunately. Actually, knowing what I do about Blue Burst, I'm not even sure how one would do it on Blue Burst completely safely... I guess you could just not really show drops except to each person, and if they picked it up just "magic" the item into the player's inventory. But that requires various packet types that I'm reasonably sure don't work on anything other than Blue Burst. Either way, it'd require a lot more than just /sdrops, since it'd also require full inventory tracking to try to do it, which is a whole other can of worms.

That all said, I haven't really studied Blue Burst much, as I didn't really feel much of a need to implement support for it, what with Schtserv (previously) serving that population very well... :roll:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

BlueCrab wrote:I guess you could just not really show drops except to each person, and if they picked it up just "magic" the item into the player's inventory. But that requires various packet types that I'm reasonably sure don't work on anything other than Blue Burst.
I discussed it with Soda when he implemented it, and this is exactly how it works. I didn't mention it here, because it's totally impossible to handle drops this way on anything other than BB. The leader of a BB team seems to have a new packet that allows him to suggest drop coordinates for an item without trying to generate one, which as we know isn't the case on Ver.2. Soda's BB implementation asks the leader for the coordinates where an item should drop, and then the server sends a different drop to each client, so each client sees totally different items on the floor, thus preventing anyone else from taking the items on your screen. Drop rates are adjusted to prevent inflated rates from getting four chances to find each monster's rare drop.

When you pick an item up, you simply seek permission from the server to do so, and it works, which is also not the case on Ver.2, since you can't pick up an item without the leader's permission, and unless every client is aware that the item exists, every other client gets totally confused as to what's on the floor and what's in your inventory (which disables your ability to chat and eventually causes you to disconnect, as we've seen in the past).

The only kind of reserved drop system that would work on Ver.2 is a calling system where if you called a specific item at the start of the run and that item dropped, everybody would be able to see that item on the ground, but only you would be able to pick it up. Such a system still requires full inventory tracking, though, which is not implemented yet. If you want PSO2-style drops, you have to play BB or PSO2, period.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Lexaraj
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Lexaraj »

Not sure if this is something that would be wanted/allowed, on account of it not being a part the original core gameplay, but would it be possible to allow Tech's to be cast via chat commands? Similar to server commands, but they would execute a Tech in-game.

It'd be nice for spells like Ryuker and Anti that would be 'nice' to have on your action buttons but no place for it. You could essentially give yourself 4 extra Tech hotkeys this way via the D-pad.

Again, not sure if this even possible, or wanted, but it seemed like a neat idea.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Actually, I think it is indeed possible, as you can send packets with a proxy to force you or other players to perform specific actions. I'm not sure whether the server can force you to use the correct Techniques, though, without tracking your character status, e.g. the server wouldn't know whether you have Anti 1 or Anti 30, unless it can read your character data and remember it (assuming Technique levels are contained within the packets and aren't handled automatically by the client; if they're not transmitted, then doing this would probably be a lot easier).
"Fear the HUnewearl."