Could I do this to replace the internal battery?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
kencaesi
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Could I do this to replace the internal battery?

Post by kencaesi »

Do I have to replace the internal batter with a similar type that has to be soldered in? Could I modify with a somewhat user replaceable button battery holder and CR-2032 battery that I could get from radioshack?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Could I do this to replace the internal battery?

Post by BlueCrab »

The battery that is in the Dreamcast is a rechargeable type. Thus, you should really replace it with a rechargeable battery, rather than a normal CR2032. Look for LIR2032 or ML2032 batteries instead, as they're rechargeable versions of the CR2032.

If you do replace it with a CR2032, you probably should throw a diode in to make sure it doesn't try to recharge the battery.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Yes, you can use a battery holder. I have a baggy of like 20 battery holders and I replace them on most Dreamcasts I open up. Just make sure you either use a LR2032 in the battery holder or a diode+CR2023 like BlueCrab said.
It's thinking...
sramdi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by sramdi »

Thanks for the pointer on replacing it with a LIR2032. I soldered a battery holder in place, but used a standard 2032 and not a LIR2032. Nothing terrible has happened, but this is good to know. Thanks!
dgrubb
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dgrubb »

sramdi wrote:Thanks for the pointer on replacing it with a LIR2032. I soldered a battery holder in place, but used a standard 2032 and not a LIR2032. Nothing terrible has happened, but this is good to know. Thanks!
There's a possibility that it'll get warm, leak, and maybe even catch fire. I'm sure that's an extreme case as I doubt the Dreamcast is providing a lot of power to recharge. However, the battery life will be affected and will probably require replacing far sooner than would ordinarily be the case.

Edit: Opps, just noted the date.