How can I diagnose if the problem is the CD or the laser?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
IcedCoffee
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How can I diagnose if the problem is the CD or the laser?

Post by IcedCoffee »

Hi there.
I bought my first Dreamcast little under a month ago, and it's been great for the most part. I own a total of six games, five of which work perfectly and flawlessly. They load fast and I've had zero issues. However, yesterday I recieved Sonic Adventure in the mail and my first issue with the system has popped up.

The game, for the most part functioned great all until this morning, where it suddenly would not read. It was incredibly sudden and unexpected. The most that happens for the game is that it will reach the 'SEGA' splash screen and return to the home menu. I don't have this issue with any other discs, and I have tested all of my genuine games. I even purposefully scratched up a burned copy of a game and the Dreamcast still managed to read that just fine.

I have tried the 'pot' tweak method, and it proved successful but only for the first try and then after that, the game would no longer read again. I would really love to diagnose whether or not it is the disc or the laser. If it is the laser, I will have to start saving to replace the system, (These things are absolutely not cheap and rare to come by where I live) but if it's just the game I can probably feel a lot better. Hah.

(Somewhat off-topic question: If I purchase a Dreamcast that is a different model, can I replace the GD-ROM drive on my Dreamcast with that, would it function?)

Thanks!
Christuserloeser

Re: How can I diagnose if the problem is the CD or the laser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Sounds to me that it's the game. Hold it against a light source and if there is a spot (especially on its inner ring) that you can see through then the disc is damaged beyond repair.
Insane homebrew collector.
IcedCoffee
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by IcedCoffee »

Conveniently enough, I took a picture and I have noticed there is what looks to be some ink seeping into one of the inner rings.
Maybe it's disc rot? Anyway, I would love to hear if you think this might be the issue!

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Disc rot in the location you have circled shouldn't hurt anything, but if it's showing signs of rot there, it probably has some issues somewhere else as well. From what you are saying, it definitely sounds like it's the disc.
It's thinking...
Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Ayla »

The Dreamcast having issues to load GD-roms is not something new. It happens a lot if your laser isn't perfectly calibrated.
TheRedFox
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheRedFox »

The best way that you could diagnose this would be to test the game in another dreamcast. Since you probably can't do that, based on your current investigation it's probably the disc.
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd