Wild Riders

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Wild Riders

Post by cube_b3 »

Why was this game never ported to Dreamcast?

Saw this in an Arcade and was really impressed.
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wild Riders

Post by Christuserloeser »

This is a NAOMI 2 game which would have required some modification to port to Dreamcast.

They obviously were thinking about a Dreamcast 2 based on NAOMI 2 (which is fully backwards compatible with NAOMI 1 / Dreamcast 1 by the way) but that never went anywhere obviously. They dropped NAOMI 2 soon after discontinuing Dreamcast.
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

What?
Dreamcast 2?

Isao Okawama made it clear that Dreamcast was Sega's last home console well before the console launched.
Christuserloeser

Really? I highly doubt that as they also talked to Microsoft regarding a possible Dreamcast successor.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Nope, it is a well known fact.

You are welcomed to browse through gamespot.com's history, I have shared that post several times but CSK had decided well in advance that they were done with home consoles... after Dreamcast's demise Sega founder David Rosen also issued a statement that he had been trying to persuade Sega for 5 years to quit the home console business (that means he had been after them since 1996).

David Rosen's full interview would likely be published in Service Games: Rise and Fall of Sega.

-__________________

On topic, Wild Riders came out in early 2000. It isn't graphically impressive it is just stylized and not photo realistic which has enabled it to age well. I think it was probably a very short game and graphically not that impressive for Sega to bother porting it.

I am just guessing... it would have been great to play it on home consoles even now.
I should have just put a few quarters in the Arcade and just played it.
dark2
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
Has thanked: 0

Post by dark2 »

Is it my imagination, or can the entire game be beaten in 6 and a half minutes? The last video in the first post shows a lengthy level, but no choose level screen (no multiple levels?) and no second level comes after the first! That certainly would also have gone against a potential home console release, and perhaps why we didn't see this ported to PS2/xbox/Gamecube.
Christuserloeser

cube_b3 wrote:Nope, it is a well known fact.
No, it is neither a fact nor well known. It might be well known once it is published in "Rise and Fall", but it still won't be a fact.
cube_b3 wrote:after Dreamcast's demise Sega founder David Rosen also issued a statement that he had been trying to persuade Sega for 5 years to quit the home console business (that means he had been after them since 1996).

David Rosen's full interview would likely be published in Service Games: Rise and Fall of Sega.
That is nice and all, and no real news. Sega of America was for leaving hardware as early as 1994. It's irrelevant because if Sega of America was to decide anything we never ever would have gotten ANY piece of hardware from Sega at all. (other than some pinball machines of course)

Not to disrespect David Rosen, but he wasn't responsible for what we think of as Sega. He was the founder, yes, but he didn't do the software nor the hardware nor did he have much influence during the relevant years in the late 80s and early 90s (before they hit it big with Sonic).

That stupid "Rise and Fall" book pisses me off to no end as it blames Sega of Japan (you know, where all the good stuff came from that we still think of today as "Sega") for the ALL the bad and presents Sega of America (who did all the crappy stuff like going all Full Motion Video or Activator or Menacer or Sega VR) as the victim of a bunch of incompetent Japanese Yakuza. Hilarious! The real victim here are Sega's software designers in Japan. (well and the readers of stupid books like "Rise and Fall").

/rant
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

This my friend is a fact. I know a fact when I state something as a fact.

I asked you to look up Gamespot archives but since you haven't I have done it for you:
However, the greatest revelation during our discussions came as a huge shock to many of us seated next to Mr. Okawa. While this has been hinted at by the media and even members of Sega in the past, hearing the chairman of Sega Enterprises officially state it was very surreal: Sega is moving out of the hardware business. The Dreamcast will likely be the company's final console. Even when asked what Sega's plans will be if the Dreamcast proves to be a major success, Okawa reaffirmed that the company is moving away from the hardware market. He stated that the future of Sega rests in the Internet and its software lines. Previous discussions as to the expandable nature of the Dreamcast may come into play sooner than previously expected. If this is Sega's last major "console," we may begin to see more add-on devices early next year (the DVD drive and the cable modem interface). In fact, on display, behind a glass case, was an ethernet cable designed to replace the Dreamcast's 56K modem. While there were no concrete revelations regarding the future configurations of the hardware, successful or not, the Dreamcast appears to be Sega's final hardware effort.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/okawa- ... 0-2446847/

I would request you to dial down the hate towards Rise & Fall, the book/website was more a story about a relationship.

A relationship between Nakayama and Kalinske and how it flourished and deteriorated.

The bio clearly states Americans have their "fingerprints" over several bad decisions and their inaction.

It is a clear fact that the Japanese had always been better designers than the west up until very recently. The book doesn't dispute that, but the management side of Japan could have done things better. The Japanese Dreamcast launch is a testament to that fact. Just like the Sega Saturn American launch is a testament of an American screw up.
Christuserloeser

No, I am sorry, I really fucking hate Rise & Fall with a passion. If Nakayama's side was heard I probably would reconsider, but as it is it is THE worst thing ever to have been published about Sega, in digital or physical form.

I am sorry, I do not want to offend you personally (I don't know your involvement in this?), but that is how I feel about Pettus' work - and have for many many years. I was hoping this would just go away and be forgotten, but with the publication of a physical copy things got to a whole new level. These guys are about to rewrite history.

As for "Dreamcast 2": Thanks for the link, I was not aware of that. However, it does not fully contradict any possible plans of a Dreamcast upgrade (which the NAOMI 2 is), although I have to admit it makes it more unlikely.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Chris, I think we have had this discussion about Rise & Fall months back.
Probably on the David Rosen interview page at that time the book was in it's early stages and I asked you to contact David and contribute.

He has been EXTREMELY receptive to all criticism.