i5S

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

i5S

Post by cube_b3 »

i = Idiot
S = Stupid

All they have done is really add a finger print reader, which is extremely old tech.

i5c "is apologetically plastic" that was pathetic man.

I am so glad I have the discontinued iPhone 5 which is basically i5S without the finger print reader.

What did you all think of the new iPhone(s)
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: i5S

Post by not just souLLy now »

To understand the mid-generation iPhone S upgrades I think you need to consider the length of an average phone contract now; 18 months to 2 years. Generally in my experience most iPhone users I know don't buy every single upgrade but tend to skip 1 and go for the next one. I'm at the end of my contract and due an upgrade from my 4S, for me this is going to be a nice change, for you, probably relatively early into your contract, this wouldn't really be worth the money.

Now, if there wasn't a 5S update, I might feel nervous at the end of my current contract, to upgrade to a phone that's already been on the market for a year, I might consider another brand with newer features. People have come to expect Apple regularly releasing new hardware. So even though the iPhone S upgrade is relatively minor, there's some reassurance that I'm upgrading to the latest model and I won't have to worry about a new phone coming out in a month making my current one look crap.

Anyway, the 5S:
The camera upgrade is nice, in practice the fingerprint reader is probably a really nice convenience but isn't really a unit seller for me, more powerful processor, again nice. All things considered for me, it's still probably the best phone on the market.

The 5C:
I think there's a market for a cheap iPhone, It looks well made and the price point is good. Some people are going to love the choice of colours. I don't think they're for everyone and I think Apple know that.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I don't see why it is a "stupid" upgrade? Stupid if you just bought a iPhone 5, probably. Stupid if you've had an iPhone 5 since it came out, perhaps. Stupid if you're not at the end of your contract, maybe. But for those of us that are already past the end of our contracts on our current phone, it is a nice piece of kit.

Also for those of us that are nice and technically minded, the new 64-bit processor powering it could be an interesting thing to work with. Time will tell on that though, since it is the first phone to market with an ARMv8-derived CPU.

All in all, it's quite the upgrade from the Samsung Infuse 4G that I've been using for the past two and a half years... :wink:

Now, for those that queue up every time Apple's about to release a new device... Well, I certainly don't see the point of that. I use my phone until it gets to the point where it's unusable. :wink:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3 wrote:I am so glad I have the discontinued iPhone 5 which is basically i5S without the finger print reader.
But it's not though is it? The hardware inside is different.

When I want to go buy a car, a computer, or even just a refrigerator...I can choose between many different models from the same manufacturer based on performance.

But for some reason, unless a company can use innovations to differentiate between two different smartphones, everybody gets in an uproar when the have more than one on the market. Why?

Nobody wants better, they just want different. But better is different.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Nokia and Samsung were already running circles around iPhones camera now they are leaps and bounds ahead of it, because i5s/c are still 8 MP. That was considered weak even hen the phone came out last year.

Let's face it most people including myself just want to take pictures, browse the web and maybe play a few games. So all things are still executable flawlessly on an iPhone 4, with the exception of pictures. People are just used to take higher resolution pictures which isn't possible with apple. Come on Nokia is giving 41 MP, and Samsung is 13 MP.

I think the camera is still the most important thing in smart phones.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Comparing photo quality between phones isn't just about amounts of megapixels. More megapixels with a shitty lens just means larger shitty pictures.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

not just souLLy now wrote:Comparing photo quality between phones isn't just about amounts of megapixels. More megapixels with a shitty lens just means larger shitty pictures.
This. They dramatically improved the sensor (and the flash) so that you get more ACCURATE pictures rather than just larger ones.

The 5c is a bit obnoxious, because it's COMPLETELY for Apple's benefit, and offers nothing to consumers. It's basically a 5 in a cheaper shell, whereas in past years Apple has just kept the previous year's model as the "low-end" option. The only differences between continuing that trend and replacing the 5 with the 5c are that (1) Apple can save money on the manufacture of the 5c and thus make larger profits, (2) the 5c looks tacky so everyone who can afford it will want to go for the higher-end 5s, and (2.5) they can artificially differentiate the "low-end" more clearly from the "high-end" when there wouldn't have been much apparent difference otherwise (see point (2)).

The 5S is actually more different hardware-wise than I expected. The hardware inside is actually completely different, and will be an important leap forward with the next generation of iPhone software.

The problem with the 5S is that the that fancy new hardware didn't come packaged with any fancy new SOFTWARE that takes advantage of it, so there's no immediate value add that's apparent to the consumer. Apple put in a fancy new CPU that is significantly more powerful and is the first 64-bit mobile processor. That will make a big difference once we start seeing software that wasn't possible on the older hardware. But just as the most powerful game console is useless without good games, that fancy new hardware doesn't mean much to the user unless it's actually put to use. The hardware should be there to drive a need or service, not just for the sake of being there. The hardware *IS* a dramatic upgrade, but since the only new FEATURES are directly tied to the camera and the fingerprint sensor, that improved hardware doesn't come across as much of a value add right now.

If you have an older device, the 5S may be a compelling upgrade. And the 5C seems specifically designed to (a) increase profit margin and (b) push everyone who can afford it toward the higher-end device. The problem is that Apple made the same mistake (though to a *much* lesser extent) that Microsoft made with the Xbox One: they designed the 5C with their internal needs in mind rather than by trying to address a customer need. And they did a terrible job of selling the 5S as an important upgrade. The 64-bit architecture is an important (and some would say inevitable) evolution, and by putting it in the 5S, Apple got there first. But until that new hardware starts enabling some previously impractical uses for the consumer, it's kind of pointless.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

cube_b3 wrote:I think the camera is still the most important thing in smart phones.
I personally think that the phone is the most important part of a smart phone. Second to that is the "smarts" (i.e, being able to do internet and email on it).

If I want to take pictures and I care that much about the megapixel count, I'll use a real camera. Hell, I'll probably use an old-school film camera if I care that much. :roll:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DaMadFiddler wrote:(1) Apple can save money on the manufacture of the 5c and thus make larger profits,
They're also cutting the price by $100 and the battery included is larger.
DaMadFiddler wrote:(2) the 5c looks tacky so everyone who can afford it will want to go for the higher-end 5s
Absolutely ridiculous claim, Apple has seen tremendous success releasing iPods in various colors in the past, especially for the younger demographics. Children own iPhones now compared to 2007 when none did, it only makes sense to market a cheap colorful iPhone for younger people.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:(1) Apple can save money on the manufacture of the 5c and thus make larger profits,
Okay, they made a couple minor tweaks. But the price cut is irrelevant, since the alternative was to continue their past practice of cutting the previous-year's model by $100 and keeping it around as the alternative. I like my 5, and offered a choice for the same price, I'd choose the 5 again over the 5C. It looks much better, it's slimmer, and (with the 5S keeping the same form factor) it will fit a much wider range of accessories.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Okay, they made a couple minor tweaks. But the price cut is irrelevant, since the alternative was to continue their past practice of cutting the previous-year's model by $100 and keeping it around as the alternative. I like my 5, and offered a choice for the same price, I'd choose the 5 again over the 5C. It looks much better, it's slimmer, and (with the 5S keeping the same form factor) it will fit a much wider range of accessories.
Sure, I would prefer the 5 over the 5c as well, but I'm not the target demographic for the device, and neither are you, so it doesn't really matter does it? People in our demographic are much more likely to buy the 5s anyway.

Although I don't really see what's the big deal about the white 5c, it looks nice, as far as I understand the hard polycarbonate is more durable than what they used on the back of the 3G/S as well...

The point I'm trying to make is that the people buying the cheaper/budget model are much more likely to buy into the whole colors thing, and it never made sense to me that they just sold the older model, especially when it was in their best interests to include new features in the budget model (lightning connector, support for more bands, etc)
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that the people buying the cheaper/budget model are much more likely to buy into the whole colors thing, and it never made sense to me that they just sold the older model, especially when it was in their best interests to include new features in the budget model (lightning connector, support for more bands, etc)
That would make sense, if that's what they were doing. But there's no "outdated tech" on the 5 to update, so it seems odd that they'd start with this particular generation. And that's clearly not their main concern right now anyway, since they're STILL keeping the 4S around as the free-on-contract option. It would have made far more sense to start doing this last time around with a 4C and the 5 to get people used to it (and to migrate everything to Lightning). Starting here, particularly with the 4S still being made as-is, make it look like an attempt to artifically inflate the 5S' "better-ness."
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DaMadFiddler wrote:But there's no "outdated tech" on the 5 to update, so it seems odd that they'd start with this particular generation.
Yes there is. TD-LTE support, among other LTE band flavors support. China Mobile is the world's largest carrier and the iPhone 5 is not compatible with their LTE. That's obviously a huge problem for Apple and it's one of the reasons why worldwide Android is at 80% marketshare. Simply put, to be competitive at all globally, using the iPhone 5 as a budget model will not cut it. So it was already necessary to abandon the iPhone 5 model. That's why they started with this particular generation.

Of course, they could have built 5s models without the fingerprint scanner and with the old processors and sold those as an "updated" 5 for China, but the 5c model will likely sell way better than the 5 would--maybe not to you, though.
It's thinking...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

|darc| wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:But there's no "outdated tech" on the 5 to update, so it seems odd that they'd start with this particular generation.
Of course, they could have built 5s models without the fingerprint scanner and with the old processors and sold those as an "updated" 5 for China, but the 5c model will likely sell way better than the 5 would--maybe not to you, though.
They are making a 5dmf

DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

That's a 4 :P
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Here you go DMF, re: 5c....
David Pogue, NYTimes wrote:The budget model, the new iPhone 5C, comes in five colors ($100 for the 16-gigabyte model with a two-year contract, $550 without). It's essentially identical to last year's iPhone 5, except that its back and sides are a single piece of plastic instead of metal and glass.Actually, "plastic" isn't quite fair. The 5C's case is polycarbonate, lacquered like a glossy piano. Better yet, its back edges are curved for the first time since the iPhones of 2008. You can tell by touch which way it's facing in your pocket.

It's a terrific phone. The price is right. It will sell like hot cakes; the new iPhones go on sale Friday. But just sheathing last year's phone in shiny plastic isn't a stunning advance.
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop wrote:There is absolutely no give to this phone at all. It doesn't bend or buckle anywhere in the casing, which is what you want, obviously. It feels as solid as the 5s.

The iPhone 5c doesn't actually feel like plastic. It's strange when you first pick it up, but it almost feels like ceramic or a similar material that is glossy and hard. The manufacturing process that Apple used to make this phone and the metal reinforcement it used in the plastic casing certainly worked on making this phone tough.
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch wrote:To date, Apple's choice of materials has been one of its prime differentiating factors, at least from an aesthetics point of view, vs. the Android crop of competitors. So does dipping back into a polycarbonate shell threaten the image Apple has tried so hard to cultivate?

The answer is a resounding 'No.' Apple notes that the iPhone 5c is actually polycarbonate because it wanted to get the colors just right, and doing so in metal just wasn't feasible. Further, it points out that there's a steel frame (which doubles as an antenna) girding that polycarbonate shell, which results in a phone that feels sturdy in the hand, without the flex or perceived fragility of other plastic device designs.
Lauren Goode, AllThingsD wrote:The iPhone 5C has the same A6 processor and the same 4-inch Retina display as the iPhone 5. Colors on the 5C's display look warmer.

It's just slightly thicker and heavier than the iPhone 5. And while the 5C isn't as refined-looking as the iPhone 5 or the new 5S, it isn't a tacky plastic phone, either. I've tested plastic phones before, including the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the new Moto X from Motorola, and this phone feels more solid in the hand.
Myriam Joire, Engadget wrote:We're not going to lie. The iPhone 5c is gorgeous - we'd even argue that it's the most beautiful iPhone since the 4 and 4s. It instantly makes the iPhone 5 and 5s look staid in comparison.

Sure, we prefer materials like aluminum and glass over plastic, and we appreciate the intricate craftsmanship that goes into building the iPhone 5 and 5s, but still, we can't help it - the 5c just triggers some reptilian part of our brains that screams, "OMG, color!"
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Funny.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I've been an iPhone user since the launch of the 3G, but I think I'm ready to move to Android. The combination of larger screen size and emulators just makes me want to jump ship. Hell, even if Apple put out a 5" iPhone, I think I'd be happy enough. But the 4" phone just seems tiny compared to all these Androids phones.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:I've been an iPhone user since the launch of the 3G, but I think I'm ready to move to Android. The combination of larger screen size and emulators just makes me want to jump ship. Hell, even if Apple put out a 5" iPhone, I think I'd be happy enough. But the 4" phone just seems tiny compared to all these Androids phones.
I never really cared for the larger smartphones; once you get much above the size of the iPhone, they stop being easily pocketable. The iPhone's screen is perfectly adequate for pretty much anything except text and spreadsheet editing, and I wouldn't want to do that sort of work on a device as small and limited as a smartphone anyway.

Honestly, it's all about the software library. The iPhone is a great piece of hardware, but there some pretty damn good (and in some ways better) Android phones out there, too. However, the one thing NONE of those phones have is the software library that the iPhone has. Even without taking the segmentation issues into account, there simply isn't anywhere near the number of quality applications for Android that you can get for iOS.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I don't want giant screens either, the size of iPhone was the most attractive feature.

I would ideally have liked the iPhone 5 to be the same in height as the preceding phones but it isn't too long so i'm fine with it. I do encounter problems in editing texts though. I don't know why their isn't an on screen button to move the cursor.