Planet Ring is Back Online!

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Planet Ring is Back Online!

Post by Neoblast »

Finally, after all this time, IberDC is proud to present you what most of you already knew. The revival of Planet Ring as a Dreamcast online game, what we call “The EarthCall Project” . It has taken time, effort, and countless hours of testing and trial/error but it sure is worth it. The server software we developed is open source so you can learn from it, modify it or improve it as you like. It was coded using SDL, SDLNet and SQlite.

Planet Ring is an online Dreamcast game which features 4 multiplayer minigames, a messenger and a simple HTML like website system (TEML) to show the user pages about anything the server admin could imagine, including images. This was the first console game that had multiplayer gaming while voice chatting people all over the world. It was given away by the Official Dreamcast Magazine number 15 in the UK, it was also sold in stores in Europe. Some other countries like Spain got it for free with the microphone upon getting a certain ISP services.

Check the project’s site here https://code.google.com/p/earthcall-project/

In order to make the connection to our server as easy as possible, there’s a loader you can use to connect to our server, you can get the loader here.
And ready to burn in here.

Check IberDc’s site here : http://www.dreamcast.es

Here's a video for one of the games, there will be more coming soon

PLANET RING FEATURES

Minigames:

-Dorobo 2Players(voice chat) -> Trease hunt, guide the other player through a maze with your voice
-Splash 2Players(voice chat) ->Battleship like game where you have to sink all of your opponent’s ships while chatting
-Ball Bubble 4Players -> Get as many bubbles as possible and boycott the rest of the players
-Soar 32Players! -> Different race types using an air pod/ship

Other:

-Messenger system
-TEML
-Online Rankings

Special Thanks to: Impulse, DCTM, BlueCrab, Fuzziqer, Brourke228, Chui, Mekanaizer, Eric and some more people…You know who you are!!!
Last edited by Neoblast on Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Planet Ring is Back Online!

Post by |darc| »

Awesome! I wasn't able to get my Netopia setup ready the other day, it turns out my line simulator won't work. But I have a new one coming in; I can't wait to try this out!

Also: Copies of Planet Ring are dirt cheap right now (less than $10 including shipping from UK to USA). Get your copies before they increase in value like PSOv2 USA did when the Hunter's License check was cracked (of course... they only rose to like $15 lol)!
It's thinking...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Congrats!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

|darc| wrote:Get your copies before they increase in value like PSOv2 USA did when the Hunter's License check was cracked (of course... they only rose to like $15 lol)!
Of course, considering that PSOv2US was going for less than a dollar (I saw some with free shipping go for $0.01) before I patched out the HL check, I'm actually quite proud of the price increase.

It'd be fun to be able to say I had something to do with two games for the DC increasing in value after they were long dead (and with the same program, at that). :lol:

Speaking of which, source code for the loader is here. Neoblast, if you could, would you put the source code up with the rest of your downloads?
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

BlueCrab wrote:
|darc| wrote:Get your copies before they increase in value like PSOv2 USA did when the Hunter's License check was cracked (of course... they only rose to like $15 lol)!
Of course, considering that PSOv2US was going for less than a dollar (I saw some with free shipping go for $0.01) before I patched out the HL check, I'm actually quite proud of the price increase.

It'd be fun to be able to say I had something to do with two games for the DC increasing in value after they were long dead (and with the same program, at that). :lol:

Speaking of which, source code for the loader is here. Neoblast, if you could, would you put the source code up with the rest of your downloads?

Sure thing :) Done

Yeah, thank you very much Blue for the help. The patcher sure makes things a lot easier for regular users, we'd end up doing a patcher anyway as it's the best way to connect to an unofficial server. Hope you guys like it, and there's more stuff coming for it soon.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nico0020 »

Totally stoked to see this happen. I really wanna give this a try as I never got to play this game before it went offline. Although it with being dialup only i'm SOL until I can get something setup. Currently the easiest setup for dialup over broadband is the Netopia router correct?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

The easiest is a free dial up isp, and that works best. The netopia and dc-pc are reccommended if you don't have access to a dial up (and can't get access to one)

EDIT: Actually looking at the current ebay auctions, and having seen them like a month ago or more. It has increased a lot in price!
Before it was like... for free almost, couple of dollars, 5 or so, 10 at most. Get it while it's cheap!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

If you're patient about it you can get both the Netopia and phone line simulator for $50-$100 together, although shipping to Japan might make that difficult. I got my line simulator for $60 and Netopia for $15 (both after shipping charges).
It's thinking...
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

|darc| wrote:If you're patient about it you can get both the Netopia and phone line simulator for $50-$100 together, although shipping to Japan might make that difficult. I got my line simulator for $60 and Netopia for $15 (both after shipping charges).
There should be line sims in japan as well. I mean back in the day there were a lot of games that only worked in some weird ppp based protocols and local ISPs, all the hardware for those isn't used anymore so there should be plenty of that on sale.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Cool!