Where to buy an SD-Card Adapter?

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Where to buy an SD-Card Adapter?

Post by cube_b3 »

Originally Posted on DCS 4th October 2012

For those completely out of the loop, Dreamcast SD Adapter’s have existed since 2009. Despite SD Adapter’s being a common topic in the forum we have refrained from posting about it as it was only available from shady Chinese stores, fortunately for us all it is finally available from more reliable places.

Today, the GOAT Store, LLC added some Dreamcast SD Card Adapters so that you can try your hand at developing for the console, or if you just want an easy way to check out homebrew games, you’ll want to nab an SD reader to make doing these things a breeze!

If that isn’t enough, on the GOAT Store Publishing site at http://www.goatstorepublishing.com we just announced that we’re up to something… and you might be able to use these SD adapters if you want to help! We have a team working on a new project that is looking for a few good men or women to join their team to help develop whatever sort of adventuresome game they are working on.

The project is a Dreamcast project, and the positions we are looking for are as follows: a level designer, a texture artist, and a C coder.

For more details about this, please visit GOAT Store Publishing and contact us! If you’re just interested in the SD Adapters, check the GOAT Store Dreamcast New Developments section! Hurry, these are hard to keep in stock!

In addition, to GOAT store it is also available from ebay seller MyTekNovo and dc-sd.com.

GOAT Store are selling for 19.94 and they have a variety of colors.

MyTekNovo are oddly selling them for a 100$ even though it used to be cheapter.

Dc-sd.com are selling for 21.99$ and it is apparently for MicroSD cards.

GOAT store is obviously the best known and most reliable. Nonetheless I can personally report a very positive experience with MyTekNova (the price is negotiable). Dc-sd.com on the other hand I have not had any experience with so can’t really say anything.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Where to buy an SD-Card Adapter?

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The GOAT Store also sells a combination SD adapter and VGA adapter, for anyone who might be interested in such a thing.
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

Amazing to see they're also developing a new Dreamcast game.
myTeknovo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by myTeknovo »

Hi cube_b3,

Searching-up for something else related to the Dreamcast, we stumbled-upon your posting. By the way, it is great that you posted the experience you had with us.

We would like to post a comment in relation to the following quote:

"MyTekNovo are oddly selling them for a 100$ even though it used to be cheapter."

Normally the price is set at $100 when the SD Adapters are out of inventory. We normally test for quality and functionality in batches of 40-50 pcs. When the units are sold, then we have to do the process all over again (when this happens the price is incremented to $100).

The regular price of the Adapter is kept between $20-$22 and with every purchase we include TWO burnt Dreamshell CDs (Dreamshell 4 Beta 4 and RC1).

Special Note: As of November 2012, we began doing donations to the Creator of the Dreamshell Software (Mr. Rostovtsev Ruslan). The whole Dreamcast SD Adapter news would really NOT be possible at all without the Dreamshell Software. Thus, we believe that providing donations for the Dreamshell programmer is just RIGHT.

Thank you for letting us post on your board.

Regards,
-Steve.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

It is awesome that you are donating the proceeds to the scene.

The reason I bought from you was that I was to lazy to burn my own DreamShell.

Although I can't get the damn region changer in it to work.

I wish we had some video tutorials for getting the most out of the SD Card and DreamShell.
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

myTeknovo wrote:Special Note: As of November 2012, we began doing donations to the Creator of the Dreamshell Software (Mr. Rostovtsev Ruslan). The whole Dreamcast SD Adapter news would really NOT be possible at all without the Dreamshell Software. Thus, we believe that providing donations for the Dreamshell programmer is just RIGHT.

Regards,
-Steve.
Thats great, except SWAT has not released any of the source code for his project Dreamshell, and from what I understand he is using a Ton of open-source GPL'd code.

I for one, petition for SWAT to release the source code!
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

PH3NOM wrote:
myTeknovo wrote:Special Note: As of November 2012, we began doing donations to the Creator of the Dreamshell Software (Mr. Rostovtsev Ruslan). The whole Dreamcast SD Adapter news would really NOT be possible at all without the Dreamshell Software. Thus, we believe that providing donations for the Dreamshell programmer is just RIGHT.

Regards,
-Steve.
Thats great, except SWAT has not released any of the source code for his project Dreamshell, and from what I understand he is using a Ton of open-source GPL'd code.

It has been told a few times and it seems they don't want to. And yes they use one hell of a lot of GPL'ed code.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Neoblast wrote:
PH3NOM wrote:

Regards,
-Steve.

It has been told a few times and it seems they don't want to. And yes they use one hell of a lot of GPL'ed code.
Unfortunately, there are people who will do that. Also unfortunately, unless the copyright holders threaten to sue, there's probably nothing that can be done other than some sort of public shaming (which doesn't usually tend to work either). :roll:

That said, if you know of any particular GPLed code that is used, I would urge you to contact the copyright holders of that code and have them issue a demand to release the source code in compliance with the GPL.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

PH3NOM wrote:SWAT has not released any of the source code for his project Dreamshell, and from what I understand he is using a Ton of open-source GPL'd code.
It shouldn't take a Dreamcast coder to point out that SWAT used code from others for some of the features within DreamShell, nevertheless what really disappoints is the apparently blatant disrespect to the contributors that have helped keep the real Dreamcast scene alive for this long.
PH3NOM wrote:I for one, petition for SWAT to release the source code!
The source code for various menu loaders is already out there, as for SD support within DC software, that too is already out there. Having said that, I've used your Beta version of DCMC extensively (quite possibly more extensively than anyone else in the DC community) and can categorically state that YOU could easily create a more user-friendly, menu driven piece of software without the bugs within the DreamShell sourcecode.

Let's face it here - the only real current advantage of using DreamShell is the superficial ISO loading, which is actually only needed for those who wish to run commercial rips and can not be bothered looking for blatantly obvious alternatives for loading them via SD.
Neoblast wrote:they use one hell of a lot of GPL'ed code.
By knowingly using someone else's GPL'd code for their own creation without a GPL source code release, they are no better than any dime-a-dozen commercial ripper, at the end of the day it all boils down to morality - they either have it or they do not.
BlueCrab wrote:Unfortunately, there are people who will do that. Also unfortunately, unless the copyright holders threaten to sue, there's probably nothing that can be done other than some sort of public shaming (which doesn't usually tend to work either).
Does it really have to come to this? It really is a sad state of affairs when such a small (and at one time quite unique) community has to hop on the current US led 'let's sue them' bandwagon with the fallacy of 'Freedom of Speech' with a 'Name and Shame' policy in tow.
BlueCrab wrote:That said, if you know of any particular GPLed code that is used, I would urge you to contact the copyright holders of that code and have them issue a demand to release the source code in compliance with the GPL.
Once again, does it really have to come to this? For anyone wanting the source code, wouldn't it be a better idea if they contacted SWAT with clear and concise reasons why they wanted the code? What everyone has to remember here is: Firstly, there will inevitably be a language barrier. Secondly, there is sometimes the need to educate others with regards to various license compliancy and restrictions.
Across the Universe
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

DCDayDreamer wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Unfortunately, there are people who will do that. Also unfortunately, unless the copyright holders threaten to sue, there's probably nothing that can be done other than some sort of public shaming (which doesn't usually tend to work either).
Does it really have to come to this? It really is a sad state of affairs when such a small (and at one time quite unique) community has to hop on the current US led 'let's sue them' bandwagon with the fallacy of 'Freedom of Speech' with a 'Name and Shame' policy in tow.
Well, if someone refuses to release the source code when asked and they are legally obliged to do so, what would you suggest? I'm sorry, but I don't take people trampling on the kindness of the open source community lightly. If he was using my code illegally, you're darn right I would be pissed and would use whatever legal means I had to stop the misuse of my code.

Is it fair for people to steal the code that the authors of GPLed software have generously put out there? Is that right? Is it right to just allow it to continue just so as not to insult someone? I find it to be a sad state of affairs when someone feels the need to steal open source code and refuse to release the source for derived works when they are legally obligated to do so. To hearken back to days passed, remember what happened with reaper2k2. Until he was called out on it publicly, he refused to release code he was required to release under the GPL too. Once called out (with one big exception), he actually did release his source code as required by the licenses. Of course that one exception is what finally put the nail in his coffin with this community.

Basically, it is indeed a sad state of affairs when we have to resort to such measures. On that point, I agree with you. But it is not for the reason you imply. The reason is that it is sad that someone would trample the rights of the authors of the GPLed code in question as well as the rights of the users to that code. It is even more sad if it is allowed to go on unabated and without people being called out on it.
BlueCrab wrote:That said, if you know of any particular GPLed code that is used, I would urge you to contact the copyright holders of that code and have them issue a demand to release the source code in compliance with the GPL.
Once again, does it really have to come to this? For anyone wanting the source code, wouldn't it be a better idea if they contacted SWAT with clear and concise reasons why they wanted the code? What everyone has to remember here is: Firstly, there will inevitably be a language barrier. Secondly, there is sometimes the need to educate others with regards to various license compliancy and restrictions.
Nobody should have to give reasons why they want the code. If it is GPLed, he is obliged to give the code. He is violating copyright law by not giving the code, and he's violating it if he isn't even acknowledging the works he's using.

I have very little patience for people who spit on the works of open source programmers by stealing their code. I would think that most people that write open source code would feel the same way.

You'll note that I don't make any direct accusations of any sort of infringement. I don't use Dreamshell and I don't know for sure what it uses internally that might be covered by an open source license that would require the author to release his code. Hence my statement of "if you know of any particular GPLed code that is used..."
Last edited by BlueCrab on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Clarify a few things...
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

BlueCrab wrote:
DCDayDreamer wrote:
Well, if someone refuses to release the source code when asked and they are legally obliged to do so, what would you suggest? I'm sorry, but I don't take people trampling on the kindness of the open source community lightly. If he was using my code illegally, you're darn right I would be pissed and would use whatever legal means I had to stop the misuse of my code.

Is it fair for people to steal the code that the authors of GPLed software have generously put out there? Is that right? Is it right to just allow it to continue just so as not to insult someone? I find it to be a sad state of affairs when someone feels the need to steal open source code and refuse to release the source for derived works when they are legally obligated to do so. To hearken back to days passed, remember what happened with reaper2k2. Until he was called out on it publicly, he refused to release code he was required to release under the GPL too. Once called out (with one big exception), he actually did release his source code as required by the licenses. Of course that one exception is what finally put the nail in his coffin with this community.

Basically, it is indeed a sad state of affairs when we have to resort to such measures. On that point, I agree with you. But it is not for the reason you imply. The reason is that it is sad that someone would trample the rights of the authors of the GPLed code in question as well as the rights of the users to that code. It is even more sad if it is allowed to go on unabated and without people being called out on it.
You're misquoting me here (probably the fault of a certain brand of Single Malt I had earlier), my post was meant to be taken as a generic question/remark rather than an individual response to you, it was more or less my way of expressing disappointment towards SWAT and the suggestion of possible legal action towards the DreamShell software.
BlueCrab wrote:
DCDayDreamer wrote:
Nobody should have to give reasons why they want the code. If it is GPLed, he is obliged to give the code. He is violating copyright law by not giving the code, and he's violating it if he isn't even acknowledging the works he's using.

I have very little patience for people who spit on the works of open source programmers by stealing their code. I would think that most people that write open source code would feel the same way.

You'll note that I don't make any direct accusations of any sort of infringement. I don't use Dreamshell and I don't know for sure what it uses internally that might be covered by an open source license that would require the author to release his code. Hence my statement of "if you know of any particular GPLed code that is used..."
My post obviously didn't come across in the right context, all I am trying to say here is that perhaps SWAT doesn't fully understand the licenses regarding certain parts of code used, it may be due to language barriers, it may be due to the lack of understanding licensing in general. My gut feeling here is that the GPL has been completely ignored, but I'm willing to give SWAT the benefit of the doubt.
Across the Universe
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Well I doubt we'd be hearing from Teknovo again.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I actually watched a youtube video about these sd adapters, and while the concept of playing games and homebrew from the card sounds appealing, Ive heard that a lot of the games lag big time.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Smiley wrote:I actually watched a youtube video about these sd adapters, and while the concept of playing games and homebrew from the card sounds appealing, Ive heard that a lot of the games lag big time.
I can imagine that being the case, particularly given the fact that it's running over the DC's serial connection. Probably not good for large games and high-bandwidth media. However, there are two major advantages:

1. not having to keep track of dozens of CD-Rs (and waste a new disc every time there's a version update)

2. reducing wear and tear on the Dreamcast's disc drive.

There are also a few major potential advantages, if any developers ever decide to take advantage of them:

3. games requiring larger save data. There are plenty of games whose save data simply would not be practical to try to cram onto a VMU. How many games have you played (any sports 2k title, Worms, Bleem!, Half-Life, etc.) that required a significant chunk of your VMU, if not the whole thing? If you have a lot of games, juggling VMUs gets really annoying after a while, especially if you reach the point where you need more cards than you have slots for. Plus, some genres (strategy games, western RPGs, FPSes, anything that has some degree of content generation) are simply not VMU-practical at all. If homebrew releases start supporting SD saves as an alternative to VMU saves, this can help alleviate the long-term need for the ever-dwindling supply of OEM hardware.

4. mod-able games. Not only the ability to add more mods without having to burn a new disc, but the potential for titles with in-game level & character editors that would not be practical for storage on a VMU.

5. larger games. There is still the issue of the serial port's speed limitations, but SD cards can hold significantly more than a CD-R or even a GD-ROM. I don't know what the maximum sizes are that are supported by the adapter and the various loaders out there, but I do know that standard SD cards are available in sizes up to 4GB, SDHC is several times that, and SDXC (which I doubt is supported) can get even larger.
myTeknovo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by myTeknovo »

cube_b3 wrote:Well I doubt we'd be hearing from Teknovo again.
Still here, just had a busy week. I read on the demands that users are claiming about the source code. But, in that case S.W.A.T will have to respond to this.

One Question:

Since the Dreamcast Serial Port is being put to some good use, will the scene be interested in the Dreamcast Serial Port Plug?
We mean a professionally made (machine made) plug.

Well, not sure what the scene thinks on the above question. The plug will just provide easy access to the Dreamcast Serial Port
without taking the Dreamcast apart. Many tutorials online mention the use of the Dreamcast Serial Port, but stripping-down the
Dreamcast is REQUIRED! <--- Not everyone is comfortable with that.

Let us know.

Thanks,
-Steve.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I think I speak for most anyone who's tried to build anything using the Dreamcast's serial port in saying that having a professionally made plug would be quite awesome.

That said, it would have to be economical in very small batches to make any sense. I'd imagine that for a small batch of a custom connector like that, the cost would be quite large per unit, which would make most people shy away from it.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I was wanting to pick up one of these sometime soon. Seems goatstore is out of stock. Hopefully they come back in. Ive seen a lot of them on ebay, but I was wanting to place an order at goat store for some games anyways so I guess I can wait until they come back into stock again.

Is dreamshell software something that is still actively worked on, or is it a "finished product?"
*The Cadillac of signatures*
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I think there will always be room to improve an OS.

I'll ask Dan and find out when they will have it in stock again.