PSO Questions & Answers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

FaithY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: PSO Questions & Answers

Post by FaithY »

Thanks. Lost an ult character, but it's working now :P
:mrgreen:
FaithY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Battle Mode?

Post by FaithY »

Does battle mode work? Shark and I kept running out of time after 5 seconds. Not much of a match :lol:
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

The last time I did any testing on battle mode it worked fine (which was right when I was implementing v2 support back at the beginning of the project). However, Ives told me that at least some of the battle rule sets don't seem to work properly (regardless of whether they're played between the same versions).

I don't think I've done anything to affect battle mode, so my gut instinct is that if certain rule sets don't work that the quests may be damaged or somesuch. :roll:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The server needs some fixes to make the rules work at all, and the quest files need fixes to make cross-platform play work properly, too.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
IncognitoMan
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist
Been thanked: 0

Post by IncognitoMan »

What kind of fixes are we talking about on the quest files if I may ask?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

They don't have the same items in them, so either the Dreamcast item list needs to be updated to use the PC list or the PC item list needs to be updated to use the Dreamcast list. PSO assumes everyone is playing the same quest, so when you're not, things go wrong.

It's also the reason why the default Hopkins quests FSOD you when you play them cross platform. Having different item lists means that when player A presses a switch, player B's client says, "You just unlocked a box? GYAAAHHH ARRGHHH!" and crashes. In the case of Battle mode, it's probably why the boxes don't drop items the way they should in certain rules. The problem with the timer instantly running out when you move at the start of the quest has to do with the server, though, so fixed quest files alone won't be enough to make the quests playable.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
FaithY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Theme?

Post by FaithY »

I logged in on GC and the lobby looked different. There was also a different song playing.

What theme is active?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Theme?

Post by BlueCrab »

FaithY wrote:I logged in on GC and the lobby looked different. There was also a different song playing.

What theme is active?
Whichever one it was that I was bored enough to set when I was on last. :lol:
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

This question aren't really related to Sylverant PSO server, it's more relevant to a PSO server-client intercommunication as well, but I would be very pleased if you'll answer:
About monster IQAI. As you know already, when a players enters a room, monsters from default state come into the greeting state (when they lift up their hands in some 'greeting' move), then each monster take their target and start moving (chasing) into the direction of that player directly (so they are in the 'move', or 'chase-player' state then).
Question is this: How does client of every player know which player will be chased, and by what monster, and how do monsters pick up their targets? Are there's some communication between them? Or it's a random process and each player seems to see a different picture?
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Your game receives some basic information on other players such as if they are attacking and where they are.
From there the game positions the players and simply spawns the enemies that will attack the nearest one.

If everything goes well, the sync will be perfect, but a disconnect, lot's of moving around and poor connections will cause enemies to behave differently in each client, have you ever seen enemies attacking someone and that person never getting damage? or an enemy is just walking and all of the suddent someone bites the dust?

The enemies don't receive information on who will they attack, they simply move around, when damage, hits or death happens then that information is shared.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

In order to limit the bandwidth required by the game, most enemies aren't synchronized over the network at all and merely attack the closest player. In this way, the game only needs to synchronize player positions over the network, and doing so theoretically results in all the enemies doing the same thing on every player's screen, even though all the enemies on each client are being controlled locally. Desynchronization happens when player positions aren't synchronized, which results in enemies attacking different players on different screens (or using different attacks on different screens, when attack types are based on player proximity, such as whether a Delsaber is going to jump slash or merely walk).

A few exceptions to this are Chaos Sorcerers, which tend to focus on the leader after they teleport, as well as boss enemies, which are controlled by the leader to keep their random patterns consistent across clients. Dark Falz often gets "stuck" and chooses to steal the soul of the same player over and over, rather than picking players at random, depending on the state of the leader's RNG.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

So many interesting details has revealed, thank you for answers, guys!
What about item boxes? When I break them, do they content loaded whilst i break them (in a moment after) or it's generated and loaded (for all crates) before I enter the zone?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Drops are generated in real time. Every time you kill an enemy or open a box, your client sends a drop request to the leader. His client picks a drop, then it tells everyone else what should appear on the floor.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
FaithY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: PSO Questions & Answers: Christmas Theme

Post by FaithY »

When will the Christmas Theme become active on Sylverant?

Thank you!!
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Iselia has automatic events configured and should start using the Christmas theme in about five minutes, which is when December 1 rolls around for GMT. Altimira will start using the Christmas theme tomorrow, and Vega will start using it whenever Impulse decides to enable it. :P
"Fear the HUnewearl."
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

Does quests for PSO have some interchange format?
Can I extract quest data or made another quest?
I've rised this question on schtserv forums but guys said it almost impossible to made a new quest, because they are all hardcoded in a game.
FaithY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by FaithY »

Aleron Ives wrote:Iselia has automatic events configured and should start using the Christmas theme in about five minutes, which is when December 1 rolls around for GMT. Altimira will start using the Christmas theme tomorrow, and Vega will start using it whenever Impulse decides to enable it. :P
Very awesome!
Thanks!!!
:glug:
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

new section

Post by legit nyck »

sorry if I have left unnoticed but ......what do they think of creating a section here for creation of new quests?
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

Seems out that our questions ignored).
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: new section

Post by BlueCrab »

legit nyck wrote:sorry if I have left unnoticed but ......what do they think of creating a section here for creation of new quests?
Well, unfortunately, I don't really have the time to be creating quests myself, so just getting ideas doesn't really help much.

If there was serious interest in this from a bunch of people I'd consider it, but until such interest is shown, feel free to just make a topic to discuss it in the forum here. It doesn't make much sense to make a separate subforum for something that I don't think would really draw that many people in. :wink: