The Witcher 2

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Witcher 2

Post by ace »

I'm really struggling to get into Witcher 2. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge character/story driven western RPG fan - particularly anything by Bioware, or in the style of their games. So why am I having such a hard time getting into Witcher 2?

Part of it is quest navigation. Sometimes I'll receive a quest with no marker, and since I'm unfamiliar with the world of Witcher, I have no clue where I'm supposed to go. Part of it is combat. It is difficult, and I'm having a hard time being truly effect. Lots of button mashing.

I really want to love this game. I like the characters, the graphics are okay (not as great as everyone and their mother seems to think), and I like the story... so why can't I get into it?

I want to hear from anyone who has played, but I really would like Jeeba to sound off on this... What is it that you love about Witcher 2?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Re: The Witcher 2

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Are you playing it at max settings? Because if you have the rig to push it (I ran it at max at around 60 FPS) it's absolutely gorgeous.. often enough to be VERY distracting. The uber-sampling is usually what kills most rigs quicker than Crysis, but it's breathtaking.

I vaguely remember having a few buggy experiences with some quests as well. Not sure.

The gameplay... Oh, boy. The first fighting you do, in that siege/assault in the beginning.. I died 9 or 10 times in a row trying to beat that first handful of guys. I broke a chair. But then it just clicked. I got my dodging and blocking down, and absolutely fell in love with it.

The reason I really fell for the game was the atmosphere. It was so unbelievably fucking refreshing to enter an Action-RPG adventure with such a dark, dirty and fucked up world. When it first came out, the best way I could describe it to my friends was "Zelda for adults." But you aren't alone. Most people praised it for all of these things yet failed to complete it. It can be hard to get into, and I think the main culprit for that.. and this is going to sound odd... but maybe because there isn't enough exploring to do. Each area kind of just felt like a town with a dungeon. I don't know. It's been a long, long time since I've played it. I've been saying for a few months that I need to replay it. But Skyrim and Total War mods just steal your soul. And Dawnguard finally dropped.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Witcher 2 pretty much is the formula for what I usually like in western RPGs... why can't I love it :(
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I've felt that way before with some titles. My best advice is to just start it over. It's only like a 20 hour game anyway.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I've been hearing the Witcher 2 will kill almost any moderate PC, even on lower settings (evidently running in low doesn't help that much). I just started playing the Witcher a few days ago (yay for the Steam summer sale) and am liking it so far, but am wary my PC may be unable to handle the sequel. Any truth to this?

Currently running on a quad core I7 laptop with 6 gigs of RAM and a GT 640M.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

That setup should definitely run it fine on Medium settings. Like I said before, the feature that really kills most setups is the Uber-sampling.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:but maybe because there isn't enough exploring to do. Each area kind of just felt like a town with a dungeon. I don't know. It's been a long, long time since I've played it. I've been saying for a few months that I need to replay it. But Skyrim and Total War mods just steal your soul. And Dawnguard finally dropped.

I think that's exactly what the problem is.