Favorite games of this console generation?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Favorite games of this console generation?

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The launch of the WiiU (I still can't say that without hearing a siren) will officially mark the beginning of the next console generation. Or maybe the 3DS / PSVita marked the beginning of the next generation already?

In any case, I'm curious as to what everyone else's favorite games were this generation. Here are my picks:

Wii
- Bit.Trip Runner (all the Bit.Trip games, really, but this was my favorite of the lot)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns--seriously, this is probably in my top five. It's that good. Donkey Kong Country was one of my favorite games as a kid, and the new one completely blows it out of the water.
- House of the Dead: Overkill
- Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (yes, more than Skyward Sword. So sue me)
- Muramasa: The Demon Blade (really, this generation has been amazing for 2D gaming in general)
- No More Heroes
- Mega Man 9 & 10
- Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
- Super Paper Mario
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
- World of Goo

DS
- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
- Contra 4
- Elite Beat Agents
- Henry Hatsworth
- Lunar Knights
- Metal Slug 7
- Mario & Luigi 3
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (series)
- Professor Layton series
- Rhythm Heaven

PlayStation 3
- Batman: Arkham Asylum (haven't played Arkham City yet... thank you for *finally* giving us good Batman games!)
- Bionic Commando: ReArmed
- BioShock
- Braid
- Child of Eden
- Demon's Souls (haven't played Dark Souls yet....)
- Elder Scrolls 4 & 5 (Oblivion was my first purchase for the system, and Skyrim, well...)
- Fallout 3
- Half-Life 2: Orange Box (esp. Portal)
- inFamous
- Journey
- Little Big Planet series
- Nier (the gameplay is mediocre and the graphics are dated, but oh my GOD the story)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Crack in Time
- Rayman Origins
- Trine
- Uncharted (still like the first one the best)
- Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

And none of this is counting back-catalog releases, such as Virtual Console releases, PSone games on PSN, or even updated ports such as Metroid Prime Trilogy or Marvel vs Capcom 2 HD. However, conspicuously absent are JRPGs. It's never been my favorite genre (though it has grown on me some these last few years), but this generation was not a particularly strong one for JRPGs, especially considering how strong that genre has been for the last three generations (particularly the SNES and both PlayStations). Most of the best JRPGs of this generation were DS ports and remakes of the SquareEnix back catalog.

Interestingly, the Wii--the system I was the most excited about at launch, and which I initially intended to be my only home console this generation--ended up being the one with the one with the fewest original titles of interest. I do use the Wii a fair amount, largely because of multiplayer games like Smash Bros., MarioKart, Monkey Ball (the GameCube one, not the Wii one), Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and House of the Dead. When I bought it, I didn't have any old cartridge-based systems, so I also saw the Virtual Console as a way to build a fairly comprehensive library without having to load up on hardware.

But now that I look back on it, I've been a lot happier with the PS3. Which is funny, because I was convinced at the time of its announcement that Sony had completely blown it for this generation out of the starting gate. But there are more original titles of interest for that system, I spend more time playing it (I mostly play single-player games), and now that I have an actual NES, SNES, and Genesis and thus don't really have any interest in downloading titles for those systems, the PS3 has a far more interesting catalog of downloadable titles. (Besides: along those lines, "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection" for PS3/360 is pretty much the best classic game compilation package I've ever seen; it's a shame we can't get something comparable for other systems). Plus, a PS3 + a Logitech Z-5500 speaker system have managed to completely replace my former bulky home theater setup.

One caveat is that my PS3 is a launch model (and thus has PS2 compatibility--which I've made heavy use of, since I didn't have a PS2), and my Wii has GameCube compatibility (new ones don't, and I have a pretty extensive GameCube library). Both systems would be far less desirable without these features, as there are several older games I go back to with some frequency.

I was also really happy with the DS. It was a little frustrating that Nintendo neglected to include any kind of texture filtering (seriously, you guys were the only ones who DIDN'T have fugly graphics during the late 90s, for this very same reason; did you forget the lesson?), but its catalog was a very satisfying mix of classic 2D gameplay and quirky new ideas, some of which were gimmicky but some of which worked very, very well. Add in the fact that the DS also plays GBA games, and for a while I considered the DS my all-time favorite gaming system. (I'm not sure I could pick one any more, especially with how blurred the lines have come between backwards compatibility, back catalog rereleases, and historical considerations).
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Re: Favorite games of this console generation?

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Valkyria Chronicles
Mass Effect
Fallout 3
Big Dick Plumber Chicks
Doom
Backstreet Boys
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Call of Duty 4/Black Ops
Fallout: New Vegas
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage
Uncharted 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Super Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

Thats about it, as far as consoles.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Red Dead Redemption.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

@ DaMadFiddler: You play a whole lot more games than I do.

In this entire generation i've played

Resident Evil 5
Condemned Criminal Origins
Condumened Criminal Origins 2
Alan Wake
Street Fighter 4
Super Street Fighter 4
Lost Planet
Dead Rising

I think that is about it.
I can't say I enjoyed all the games on the list.
I pretty much hated Condemned and Lost Planet.

Regardless of Wii U's release and the evolution of pc graphics card.
I think this generation has a long way to go before it is over.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

- Rock Band (the game that launched a hundred parties and rendered the Wii entirely useless for me for multiplayer, introduced me to new music, and got me interested in playing real drums. As terrible as it sounds, this is the only game ever that has been, by definition, "life-changing" for me as opposed to finishing a campaign on an FPS and moving on)

- Uncharted series (second one is best, followed closely by the first, then the third)

- Alan Wake

- CoD: Black Ops (CoD4 started it, but Black Ops perfected it)

- Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (cartoonish action-platformers are a dying breed, this is the best I've played since Jak 1)

- Borderlands (I enjoyed it more than Fallout 3 and its expansions, fucking sue me)

- Gears of War 3

- Super Mario Galaxy

Honorable mentions:
- Red Dead Redemption (thoroughly enjoyed the story, but once I finished it 100%, I felt no urge to ever even look at the disc again)
- Condemned 1 & 2 (a different kind of survival horror series, seriously underrated)
- Mirror's Edge
- Vanquish
- Portal 1 & 2
- Unreal Tournament 3
- Fallout 3
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Luriden wrote: - Condemned 1 & 2 (a different kind of survival horror series, seriously underrated)
Seriously over rated!
You can't even jump or crouch unless the game prompts you to and can only carry one weapon.

The second one is probably a good game but i've not gotten to far in it, but the first one is a stripped down FPM comparable to the original Wallenstein 3D.

Also the second game clearly evolved it self by watching Overworks SOR4 beta's.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

You're comparing it to real FPS games though. I think you missed the point. It's not supposed to be a traditional FPS with a full weapon loadout and intense shootout sequences. If you find a gun, it most likely has three bullets in the chamber, you have to decide the right time to use those three bullets and maybe get a few hits in afterward by pistol whipping before the gun breaks completely.

It's supposed to be a survival horror game, emphasis on survival, in first person. You carry one weapon, use it as much as you can before it breaks, and quickly seek out other nearby blunt objects to beat your enemies to death with. Condemned 2 felt more like a standard FPS, and I don't like it as much because of it.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I called it an FPM.

My problem was that you can't do anything but melee in the game.

The whole murder investigation tool idea is very nice but it all played out automatically. You have no input in it what so ever. Hell you don't even have input on jumping and crouching so...

I liked Condemned 2 for one thing you had the choice to investigate clues freely, and the melee actually worked this time around. I still didn't like the fact that you were restricted to one weapon.

How the frak is that realistic?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Luriden wrote: If you find a gun, it most likely has three bullets in the chamber

If you find a gun with three bullets in the chamber, please, for your own sake, do not pull the trigger.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Luriden wrote: If you find a gun, it most likely has three bullets in the chamber

If you find a gun with three bullets in the chamber, please, for your own sake, do not pull the trigger.
I see what you/I did there. :lol:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I'd dispute the idea that WiiU is ushering in a new generation, it seems more like a continuation of the current one personally, at least when it comes to tech. Plus, 360 and PS3 still have a lot to offer in the coming year, and there's a few things on the way that have the potential to make my "best of" list.so this seems a little premature, but anyway so far...

PORTAL 2

A great concept stretched to the very limits of the human imagination, all wrapped up in a fantastic piece of fiction

ASSASSINS CREED BROTHERHOOD

A stunning open world mixed with great gameplay. My favourite new franchise and this is the best one so far - the business elements were very nice. Still, it's ready to be beaten by AC3

DEUS EX HUMAN REVOLUTION

Solid stealth gameplay mixed with some rewarding RPG elements, a good story and a beautiful art-style. A superb return to the franchise. Shame about the bosses.

UNCHARTED 2

Bucking the open-world trend with a completely linear experience, but allowing Naughty Dog to create the most beautiful game of this generation and some mind blowing set pieces. That entire train level is just Godly - one of my Top 10 gaming moments ever.

JOURNEY

Everyone was worried this gen would crush creativity with expensive development and corporate dominance, but PSN and XBLA served up some amazing "indie" experiences. Loading up Journey is like a beautiful 60-minute life-affirming drug.

BRAID

Here's another one. Endlessly challenging, entertaining and rewarding, the feeling of satisfaction you get from overcoming any part of it has never been matched.

SKYRIM

WoW used to be me my perfect escape - the gaming world I wanted to live in. Skyrim changed things though. It's a place to absorb and get endlessly lost in.

SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2

After the first, I was happy enough just to see Nintendo pumping out mother 3D Mario platformer so quickly. The fact it's actually better than the original Galaxy is just a bonus. No more dull exploring, just hours of tight, perfected platforming challenges in a charming world.

RED DEAD REDEMPTION

A complete surprise and the open world Rockstar never gave us with GTA4, plus he story was stunning. I hate westerns, cowboys etc. but this game sucked the hours out of me and I still come back for more.

SONIC GENERATIONS

I wasn't going to put this on as it isn't an obvious epic game choice. But you know what? I love Sonic and this is the first game in more than a decade that I've loved rather than tolerated, so **** it, it gets a spot.

Theres 10. I can think of some great games that haven't made the cut - Metal Gear Solid 4, Valkyrie Chronicles, Rayman Origins, LA Noire...but oh we'll. it just shows what a great gen this has been.

Still, I must mourn the loss of the JRPG genre - especially Final Fantasy. :(
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Lots of great ones but Mortal Kombat gets the top spot for me. Easily the most I've ever enjoyed a fighting game. RE5 is probably second - but it doesn't hold a candle to RE4 (my all-time favorite game).
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

impetus wrote:Lots of great ones but Mortal Kombat gets the top spot for me. Easily the most I've ever enjoyed a fighting game.
Wait... what? The Marvel vs. Capcom series? Soul Calibur? SMASH BROS???
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I own all of those and they aren't even in the same league.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

My picks are probably pretty subjective since I don't own a wii or ps3, and I still have a huge backlog to go through from this generation. But honestly my favorite game overall was probably Bioshock. It was a damn near perfect game, with great environment that entirely sucked me into its universe. The gameplay reminds me of more old school shooters and I've played though it many many times.

I even love the second game with its laggy, broken DLC and unbalanced multiplayer.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Nico0020 wrote:My picks are probably pretty subjective since I don't own a wii or ps3, and I still have a huge backlog to go through from this generation. But honestly my favorite game overall was probably Bioshock. It was a damn near perfect game, with great environment that entirely sucked me into its universe. The gameplay reminds me of more old school shooters and I've played though it many many times.

I even love the second game with its laggy, broken DLC and unbalanced multiplayer.
BioShock was great, but I felt a little ripped off by the sequel. It wasn't bad... it just wasn't anything special.

It probably doesn't help that we shelled out for the special edition with the art book and soundtrack LP.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

My love for CheapAssGamer is quite high. Two months after bioshock 2 launched I was able to get the LE for 40 bucks at best buy with coupon / sale, and traded in my first copy of the game to offset the cost even more.
*The Cadillac of signatures*