Classic PS2 games?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Classic PS2 games?

Post by |darc| »

So... I decided to bust out the DC earlier this week and replay Metal Gear Solid on bleemcast!. I really, really loved that game as a kid, and never got a real opportunity to play its sequels. So... I decided it's time to bite the bullet, temporarily lay down any issues I have with Sony, and buy a PS2. Even I can admit that the PS2's legacy is that it was one of the most important consoles ever, and pretty much besides Nintendo titles and Halo, it was the previous generation of gaming.

APE sold me a chipped PS2 w/ network adapter and HD, and now it's time to get some games. Of course I have MGS2 and MGS3, but I'm looking to build a solid list of classic titles that anyone who never owned or barely played a PS2 would really want to play. I have to admit, besides Grand Theft Auto titles, I seriously doubt I have held a PS2 controller in my hands for 3 hours total in my life.

What games do you guys recommend?
It's thinking...
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Classic PS2 games?

Post by DanteJay »

Seriously, it would depend on what style/genre of games you like. Personally, I'd recommend FFX or ICO.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Discounting anything that appeared on the Dreamcast (i.e. Rez, Headhunter, Ecco the Dolphin, Marvel vs. Capcom 2):

Alien Hominid
Amplitude
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (and its sequel)
Bard's Tale
Beyond Good & Evil
Champions of Norrath (and its sequel Return to Arms)
Contra: Shattered Soldier
Dark Cloud 2
Devil May Cry 1 & 3
Dragon Quest 8
Frequency
Ghosthunter
Gitaroo Man
Ico
Indigo Prophecy
the Jak & Daxter trilogy
Katamari Damacy (and its sequel, We <3 Katamari)
Lumines
Maximo vs. Army of Zin
Metal Gear Solid 3
Odin Sphere
Psychonauts
Ratchet & Clank trilogy
Rogue Galaxy
Shinobi
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shadow of the Colossus
Star Ocean
Timesplitters 2 (& Future Perfect)

Since you have a chipped system, you might also want to check into an import-only title called Dream Mix: TV World Fighters. It was a Smash Bros. clone featuring characters from Konami and Hudson.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Kingdom Hearts. I've never personally played these games, only seen them played, read the reviews, and longed after them.

I'm considering buying a PS2 myself, just to play Kingdom Hearts.

The Getaway was pretty fun, I played a lot of that game at a friends house.

Seconded for the Baldur's Gate games. You might've already played them on Xbox though.

X-men Legends I and II.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Grandia III - especially if you played the other games

Summoner.

Can you tell I like RPGs?

edit: if you haven't already played it (though it's far superior on Wii):

OKAMI
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Final Fantasy XII
Shadow of the Colossus
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Kicking myself for forgetting Kingdom Hearts and Okami. Also the two God of War games (can't believe I forgot those either), Viewtiful Joe (if you haven't already played it on GameCube), Castlevania: Lament of Innocence is fun (though the PS3/360 games blows it out of the water), and I'm sure there are some others I'll think of later.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

ace wrote:Kingdom Hearts. I've never personally played these games, only seen them played, read the reviews, and longed after them.

Grandia III - especially if you played the other games

I actually owned Kingdom Hearts back when it came out, but I couldn't really get into it at the time. I'd like to give it another go but I don't own a PS2 anymore. I absolutely loved Grandia II, how does III compare to II?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Honestly, I thought 3 was middling at best. Sure, the plot is a little more original than 2 (but then, 2 is basically a compilation of every JRPG trope ever), but there is some weirdness. The characters seem to be sort of floaty in their movement, for one thing. Also, the plot still isn't very GOOD, and the weird sort of antagonistic brother/sister relationship between the mother and son is just creepy. It's definitely better than Grandia Xtreme, but less than Grandia 2.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Honestly, I thought 3 was middling at best. Sure, the plot is a little more original than 2 (but then, 2 is basically a compilation of every JRPG trope ever), but there is some weirdness. The characters seem to be sort of floaty in their movement, for one thing. Also, the plot still isn't very GOOD, and the weird sort of antagonistic brother/sister relationship between the mother and son is just creepy. It's definitely better than Grandia Xtreme, but less than Grandia 2.
This.

|darc| what do you have against Sony again?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

ace wrote:|darc| what do you have against Sony again?
"$ony killed teh DREAMCAST man!!!"

Actually... all kidding aside, I do seem to recall a lot of people bashing the PS2 and "refusing" to buy it for exactly that reason, back in this site's heyday when I was still just a lurker.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Fatal Frame.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

-Star Ocean-
is a good Game XD
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
Klonoa
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Klonoa »

Hiya Darc

God Hand
Onimusha 1&2
Klonoa 2
Disgaea dood

Umm not sure what else I do think the God of War games are a must play even though it's not a rare game.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

fire pro wrestling returns. if you like wrestling games, or hate wrestling games , you will love this game. if you are a fan of 2d fighters you will like this. a ufc fan, again you will like this. prefer a fighting game with depth and a strong strategy element to it? this is for you. i only wish spike would just make a new one for current consoles or next gen. even make a downloadable only one would be fine. also fire pro returns is the only home console fire pro to be released in the united states.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu4kVZpF35w this video shows the series from snes, saturn, ps1, dreamcast and ps2. the game goes back as far as the sega master system i think. returns and fire pro wrestling d on dreamcast are both awesome.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Given your a dc fan check out:

Shinobi
Nightshade
Blood Will Tell
Sonic Heroes
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

cube_b3 wrote:Sonic Heroes
The PS2 version of Sonic Heroes is absolute garbage. Overall, I'd argue that Sonic Heroes holds up as a game better than either of the Sonic Adventure games, though it's still marred by its flawed physics, which make certain sections (including the final boss fight) incredibly obnoxious.

However, the PS2 version of the game is a disgrace. Texture quality is much lower, many visual effects are missing, and while the Xbox and GameCube versions move along at a Sonic-worthy 60fps, the PS2 version feels like it's moving more at 20 or 25.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I've not played the Adventure games in so long.

I only recently dusted off my gamecube to experience Sonic Heroes for the first time and I can write an essay on how bizarre that experience was...

To sum it up
It is a Sonic game similar to Sonic Generations as almost all the levels in the game are rehashes/reimagination of previous stages. I think the entire game only had one original level.

It is a direct continuation of Sonic Adventure 2 both in terms of gameplay and story.

Sonic Adventure 2 pretty much re-imagined everything that was 2D into 3D - every gameplay gimmick from previous games was now transferred into 3D with just one exception the Knuckles Chaotix style tag gameplay and Sonic Heroes addressed that.

Unfortunately it is a game trying to go back to it's roots but also progressing the story arc in the most half assed way possible, the story mode is so bad that the game would've been better off without one. The worst part is that all the English VA's were dismissed after this game so it is extremely unfortunate that all the talent were given such an unceremonious departure.

Overall my experience was Heroes was a very fun one, I don't know whether I am playing it to late or the tag style just isn't to my liking but I don't think I would go back to Heroes again.

P.S. It is running on a 3rd Party engine which is nowhere near as good as the original DC engine (atleast according to memory I will be replaying SA2 next month).
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Raiden III
Ico
Warhammer 40k: Fire Warrior

I'll add more later.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I wouldn't mind having a chipped PS2 to play some of the classics I missed, but for night now my modded original Xbox is doing just fine :)
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Calavera wrote:I wouldn't mind having a chipped PS2 to play some of the classics I missed, but for night now my modded original Xbox is doing just fine :)

PCSX2. It kicks ass.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe