VGA Mod for DC

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
DCCharlie
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

VGA Mod for DC

Post by DCCharlie »

I recently added the VGA connection to my DC. Everything seems to work except the picture comes out Black & White! Any ideas? I've checked for continuity between all the pins and MOBO. Sound works and the picture shows up. I'm lost as to where to start troubleshooting this issue.

I followed this guide:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/dc-vga.htm
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: VGA Mod for DC

Post by BlueCrab »

Moved to the Hardware forum.

The problem is most likely with the RGB pins (or at least that's the only sensible place for it to be). Did you wire the capacitors up properly between the Dreamcast and the VGA connector? I'm pretty sure they won't work right if you get the polarity reversed, being that you should be using electrolytic capacitors for them.

Note, I've never done this particular mod, so I'm basically just taking a stab in the dark here. :wink:
DCCharlie
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DCCharlie »

I work with a few electrical engineers, had them go over the schematics and we matched them to the device. The only thing I can think about is what happens if you mix up the RGB pins?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

If you mixed up the RGB pins, you'd likely just get odd colors, not black-and-white.

As I said, I was basically just taking a stab in the dark. Sorry that I can't be of any other help. :?
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

Are you using a tv or a vga monitor?
I did this circuit once and it worked as it should on a pc monitor. If I remember well, in vga mode the signal is progressive.
I think the only time I had black and white was when I connected ntsc composite video on a pal tv (it's been almost 10 years)