New Dreamcast game: REDUX (sequel to DUX)

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Dreamcast game: REDUX (sequel to DUX)

Post by DaMadFiddler »

via http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/red ... -dreamcast

DUX, a 2009 Dreamcast exclusive space shooter, is getting a sequel in REDUX: Dark Matters. The game is planned for a release as a physical copy for Dreamcast and as a downloadable title for STEAM, XBLA and PSN.

The game is being developed by René Hellwig from NG:DEV.TEAM (GunLord, Fast Striker, Last Hope and DUX) and KTX Software (The Haunted: Hells Reach).

To fund the STEAM, XBLA and PSN versions of REDUX: Dark Matters the developers offer an exclusive Limited Edition of the game for Dreamcast only available for those who support their KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN!

The Limited Edition for Dreamcast will be released as a 2-disc set and includes the long awaited DUX 1.5, a refined and polished version of the original DUX released in 2009. This game is exclusive to Dreamcast and will only ever be available as part of the Limited Edition 2-disc set.
Last edited by Christuserloeser on Sun May 13, 2012 3:25 am, edited 13 times in total.
Reason: moved original newspost to next forum post
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: New game: REDUX (sequel to DUX)--Kickstarter exclusive

Post by Neoblast »

Another shump, while it looks better than the first, sturmwind shits all over this one in graphics...

I'd like to see a new platformer, fps, anything but puzzles or shumps..
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

That's great news if you ask me. I definitely can't get enough shmups! :grin:
Insane homebrew collector.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I'd love to get some of the independent Dreamcast titles on Android. Too bad they aren't planning to do this.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

Should be moved to News

Anyway, great news! Already "backed" it. :grin:
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Maturion wrote:Should be moved to News
Done.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Oh dear. If I'd know this post was going to be moved directly into News as-is, I'd have written it a bit differently :oops:
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Feel free to fix it up any way you see fit. Maturion asked me to move it, so I did. 8-)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BlueCrab wrote:Feel free to fix it up any way you see fit. Maturion asked me to move it, so I did. 8-)
All right; post tweaked.

A 2009 space shooter for Dreamcast, DUX, is getting a sequel in REDUX: Dark Matters. While the game will primarily be a downloadable title for modern consoles, they have started a Kickstarter campaign for a Dreamcast version.

From Joystiq:
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/kickstart-steam-xbla-psn-shmup-redux-to-get-a-dreamcast-version/ wrote:
Redux: Dark Matters is the sequel to Dux, a 2009 shooter you may not have played ... because it came out on Dreamcast. However, developers Rene Hellwig and KTX Software want to bring the side-scrolling followup to PSN, XBLA, and Steam, and have posted a $25,000 Kickstarter drive toward that goal.

But the developers haven't forgotten their insane drive to keep the Dreamcast alive. If you contribute $65 or more, you'll get a limited-edition Dreamcast copy of Redux, exclusive to the Kickstarter campaign. This is all we needed to clear up our mixed feelings about the Kickstarter phenomenon; anything that leads to more Dreamcast games can only be a good thing.
While it would be nice to see something other than another space shooter, and there has been quite a bit of debate lately regarding the merits of Kickstarter (including this Penny-Arcade strip), new games being released for the Dreamcast are always good news.

The Kickstarter campaign is the only way to get a Dreamcast copy, so you may find this worthwhile. Click here for the Kickstarter page (and a gameplay trailer).
Last edited by Christuserloeser on Sun May 13, 2012 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: edited in the original newspost
Senk
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Senk »

Just registered and provided a $100 backing for the Dreamcast version. I agree in terms of wanting to see other genres being pumped out, but that won't stop me from supporting Dreamcast development. After all, I know that I would want others to support me with the game I'm working on.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I took the liberty to rewrite the newspost as the joystiq article got quite a few things wrong.

EDIT: Done. :wink:

DaMadFiddler wrote:While the game will primarily be a downloadable title for modern consoles, they have started a Kickstarter campaign for a Dreamcast version.
From what I understand the Dreamcast version is a sure thing, the campaign is for the PSN/STEAM/XBLA versions. The regular edition will be available to everyone interested, just like DUX. The Limited Edition however (which includes the exclusive DUX 1.5) will only be available to those who support the Kickstarter project.
Insane homebrew collector.
Maturion

Re: New Dreamcast game: REDUX (sequel to DUX)

Post by Maturion »

Just in case anyone is interested: I've published an interview with René Hellwig on SEGA-DC.DE: http://www.sega-dc.de/dreamcast/Redux-Special (in German)

As I am very busy at the moment, I don't have the time to translate it to English, but it contains some interesting facts. If anyone wants to translate it (chris maybe?) and publish it here, feel free to do it.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I am confused according to Kick Starter only a 1000 units would "ever" be produced for the DUX LE.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/red ... -dreamcast

The only thing special about the limited edition was that it came with Dux 1.5 and an alternate box art.
http://hucast.com/product_info.php?info ... x1-5-.html

Now Dux 1.5 is being sold separately.
http://hucast.com/product_info.php?info ... cast-.html

Furthermore Dux 1.5 + Redux Regular Edition bundle is available which effectively makes it the same as Limited Edition.
http://hucast.com/product_info.php?info ... cast-.html

So what is the point of the limited edition?
Am I confused or should I start getting pissed for buying the Limited Edition?
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

So I posted this on Redux's facebook page.

They liked the post and said the package is still unique as it comes in a steel case :s.

Am I the only one who finds this false advertising?
I am thinking of changing my order to Redux RE + Dux 1.5 Bundle.