The Avengers

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Avengers

Post by DaMadFiddler »

was pretty fucking good. I liked the Iron Man movies okay, but thought Thor and Captain America were sort of empty fluff that didn't really have much weight and were very clearly designed to gear people up for The Avengers... and thus don't really stand on their own. Also, while I like Joss Whedon's TV shows, his feature films have been somewhat lacking (DISCLAIMER: I have not seen Cabin in the Woods yet). So I went into it expecting something mediocre, and was quite pleasantly surprised.

I'd say The Avengers is about on par with JJ Abrams' "Star Trek." If you don't have any interest in superheroes, it probably won't have much appeal for you... but within its genre, it is very well done. Good writing, tight pacing, visually impressive, and just the right amount of depth to give it gravity without weighing it down. (I suppose "give it gravity without weighing it down" is an especially dysfunctional example of a mixed metaphor, but you know what I mean).

Can't say too much else without spoilers, but who else has seen it?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Re: The Avengers

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I saw it. It was good. Basically, your quintessential Hollywood film: you won't spend a moment bored, as you'll be constantly entertained (especially if you're a fan), and you also won't leave the theatre with any lasting impressions of thought or emotion. Very fun. Would see again.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

***Spoiler****

The avengers win.
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

DaMadFiddler wrote:was pretty fucking good. I liked the Iron Man movies okay, but thought Thor and Captain America were sort of empty fluff that didn't really have much weight and were very clearly designed to gear people up for The Avengers... and thus don't really stand on their own. Also, while I like Joss Whedon's TV shows, his feature films have been somewhat lacking (DISCLAIMER: I have not seen Cabin in the Woods yet). So I went into it expecting something mediocre, and was quite pleasantly surprised.

I'd say The Avengers is about on par with JJ Abrams' "Star Trek." If you don't have any interest in superheroes, it probably won't have much appeal for you... but within its genre, it is very well done. Good writing, tight pacing, visually impressive, and just the right amount of depth to give it gravity without weighing it down. (I suppose "give it gravity without weighing it down" is an especially dysfunctional example of a mixed metaphor, but you know what I mean).

Can't say too much else without spoilers, but who else has seen it?
I have not seen but want to see XD
I guess they are leaving much of the reality you just need to do the same shit before making the movie Justice League
and later a marvel vs dc LOL that would be the end
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Saw it again today, great movie. Easily my favorite Marvel heroes flick, beating out X2 and X-Men First Class. (I love the Punisher movies too but consider them a different category). An impressive feat considering I've never been a fan of the Avengers. Hulk's my favorite character of that particular group so I was glad to see him used well.

When you go to see this be sure to stick around after the credits for TWO stingers. One's right after the animated main credits and then still another follows the entire credits scroll.

Ian, why haven't you watched CABIN IN THE WOODS yet?

(SPOILERS PAST THIS POINT!!!)

One detail I missed the first time but liked on the second viewing is that Iron Man probably wouldn't have known how to fix the busted helicarrier engine if he hadn't stolen the schematics from SHIELD computers.

Apparently some people think that Fury's fib about the trading cards means Coulson didn't actually die. Not a chance. He definitely bit it. Fury was just distorting the details for more impact.

There was a great joke waiting to happen that I'm surprised the writers didn't bite. When Captain America first calls Iron Man "Mister Stark", instead of responding "Captain" Tony should have said, "Mister Rogers.... it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood".
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

The Avengers was the first movie in a long while that was truly exciting. Not since I was a kid, watching Indiana Jones has a movie been so entertaining. The Hulk at the end of the movie? Fanboy goosebumps galore. It easily eclipses any other superhero movie I've seen — including Iron Man. It is a quintessential summer blockbuster and an instant classic.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Yeah. Whedon's style works for a true comic book film, which is why I'm (and I'm sure everyone else) glad Nolan got the new Batman trilogy, and Whedon was turned down.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'm still morbidly curious to see the Superman film that--at various points in its development--was set to be written by Kevin Smith, directed by Tim Burton, and starring Nicolas Cage as an unpowered Superman in a black suit. The fact that it was scrapped (they ended up making Superman Returns instead) is almost certainly for the best; it would have been a fuck-up of epic proportions.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:you won't spend a moment bored, as you'll be constantly entertained (especially if you're a fan), and you also won't leave the theatre with any lasting impressions of thought or emotion.
Agreed.

What I didn't like about the movie is that a good portion of the plot seems to have been spent trying to find out reasons for the Avengers to work together. It did seem unfocused and "trying too hard" at times.

And something really weird was how similar the last battle in the movie was to the last battle in Transformers - Dark of the Moon. Both set in major cities (NY, Chicago), both featuring portals above the sky, with an army of aliens invading the planet, huge flying monsters, buildings being devastated, and so on. By the way, Transformers - Dark of the Moon was more interesting than The Avengers for me. There, I said it.

Hulk, Iron Man and Natasha were great. Thor was still immature, Captain America was still... a pretty bland hero that doesn't do anything too out of the ordinary (though that's almost a requirement, given his position), and Hawkeye was really good but seemed to be more of a supporting character rather than a main one.

Loki was good but at the end of the movie he got really dumb. And after getting Banner on board, the rest of the movie didn't seem realistic enough to hold my suspension of disbelief.

It still is a very good movie though, and I'm going to watch it again when the BD comes out.
Last edited by mankrip on Mon May 07, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

mankrip wrote:By the way, Transformers - Dark of the Moon was more interesting than The Avengers for me. There, I said it.
lolololol good one
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Really fun movie, doesn't seem to take itself too seriously and makes for some great moments.
I'm glad I watched it on the big screen; even though 3D didn't do much for me here, the atmosphere was great with everyone having a blast. It made me feel like a kid, with a grin throughout the whole thing.