Xbox 720 GPU details

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Xbox 720 GPU details

Post by Ex-Cyber »

DanteJay wrote:The way I see it, is that it's all about taking control away from consumers (a form of capitalism if you will). All in all, large corporations in the tech industry are ever moving forward in trying to take full control of how, when and where you purchase your content/product. And it seems that slowly, it's happening thanks to the great pioneers of this philosophy, including Apple, Microsoft and Sony.
Atari and Nintendo helped a lot, as did cell phone manufacturers and networks. They really did the hard work of setting the expectation of buying an "approved" device to get "approved" content. Apple, MS, and Sony (not to mention Valve) are just taking that toward its logical conclusion. Companies were trying to lock people into proprietary content networks 20+ years ago (see AOL, Compuserve, Prodigy, GEnie), but it didn't work too well when you were lucky to have a customer with a 25MHz CPU and 9600bps modem paying by the hour.
Specially Cork wrote:My main concern is it's just baby steps toward a purely digital distribution method - either through downloading games or online streaming. I don't mind digital distro on the PC - but on the consoles with no guarantee of backwards compatibility and zero competition - it's a different story. The prices for full PS3 games on PSN are obscene and never budge - it's only going to get worse if they eventually convince enough gamers to ditch physical media and stores completely.
Digital distro on PC isn't necessarily much better. Most major games now require either a Steam account or a publisher-specific account, even if you buy the retail package. You get a broader choice of hardware, and it's easier to get into multiple networks, but the basic situation is the same as on console for the most part. There are nice exceptions like GOG and Humble Bundle, but the bulk of it is the same "get an account on our network or you're not allowed to play our game" bullshit.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

My main concern is something like this... (hypothetical situation)

- PS4 comes out as digital distro only
- I spend the next 5 years buying games, playing them, upgrading the crap hard-drive they bundled it with etc.
- PS5 comes out, doesn't play PS4 games
- Sony announce closure of the PS4 PSN
- My PS4 breaks
- All my games enter oblivion
- PS4 Classics launch on PS5 so we can all buy our games for a second time!
- ...apart from some of them, so I can never play those games again

Perhaps I'm over-simplifying things a bit and they'll have ways to transfer files or whatnot, but you wouldn't know this until the PS5 came out, so you'd be buying games for your PS4 without really knowing how safe and permanent the purchase is.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as physical copies go for consoles. For the reasons you've stated, that's exactly why. While digital distribution is going to expand to a field equivalent in volume to retail, that doesn't mean the discs are going anywhere for now. They're simply too cheap to produce.

The reason Steam succeeded so well on Windows is because it was introduced at a time when piracy was at its highest, as well as DRM's inception. As a guy who pirated just about every single PC game for nearly a decade, I had no worries about investing my money into a digital library (an EXTREMELY solid, user-friendly, stable library)... Because, fuck, if this shit disappears I'll just pirate all these fuckers again. That really doesn't apply to the crowd of casual console players. And that's why switching entirely to digital distribution any time within the next 10 years is suicide.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Mombasa69
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Mombasa69 »

Oh dear the next Xbox will use a GPU based on the already dated 6670, an entry level PC today will blow that away lol. :lol: :lol:
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Just read that Sony is changing the name of PSN to SEN (Sony Entertainment Network).

Hmm... I'm now convinced there will be no PlayStation 4. Guess they will be pulling away from the more traditional "console" and moving to a complete solution for home entertainment.

We'll probably see something like this:
Sony TV > Interface > Sony Entertainment Network
Apple TV > Interface > Apple Entertainment Network
TV > Wii-U > Nintendo Network
TV> Xbox 720 > Xbox Live
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

and here I was hoping this generation would be the one that finally blows us away graphically. MS better get some better exclusives.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

There's rumors now that the next xbox is going to have two 6000 series gpus, so that's a bit different. This makes me believe that M$ is following suit with a similar idea to what the wii-U will be doing with it's controller. Perhaps being equipped with two eyefinity gpus, the system will support up to four controllers with independent screens.

Also, apparently a *reliable* unnamed source has stated that Sony has the PS4 in the works.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

You guys all know that I'm primarily a PC gamer, but I still buy all of the consoles. And the only thing I'm excited for is the Wii-U, even though it doesn't have joysticks.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

What do you find exciting about Wii-U, Jeeba?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

The controller, for starters. But mainly to finally see Mario in HD.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

i'm not sure about the controller. I guess it would be sweet for RTS, but I don't envision too many being released.

As for HD Mario...

:?:
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I think when Mario gets to that, he'll have a drinking problem.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

He's already on drugs.