FAQ or tutorial for burning multiple BOR on one disc ??

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
extrax6
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

FAQ or tutorial for burning multiple BOR on one disc ??

Post by extrax6 »

Hi,
I'm completely new to Beats of Rage, and whenever I try to download a mod, it comes in a .pak file. Just wondering, how would i be able to burn multiple of these BOR mod onto one disc and have it work on the dreamcast???
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: FAQ or tutorial for burning multiple BOR on one disc ??

Post by Stryfe »

There's no menu selection for the BOR pak files if that's what you're looking for. They are all independent games.

The binaries (plain files) on the other hand, specifically the main binary - the '1st_read.bin' - can be made into SBIs for multiple game/app discs.

You can find a SBI builder program, premade SBIs, and more help over at DCHelp and it's forums.
ImageImageImageImage
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I can't recommend the SBI solution, and it won't work with any other mods than those that we made SBIs for.

Atm I'd recommend to download the latest release of Openbor at http://www.Lavalit.com/ and burn it via BootDreams along with your mod renamed to "bor.pak". This will work with ~90% of all available mods. The other 10% use features not yet implemented on the Dreamcast version (widescreen, 24-bit color depth) or simply use more RAM than Dreamcast offers.

EDIT - Here's a tutorial: http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic ... ml#msg7080
Insane homebrew collector.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

But there was a way to add many mods into menu.bor but it was removed (i read because of incompatibility with some mods). Any way i think 1 mod per disk without using external utilities is not enough for this power engine. I would like to see that feature back at least or maybe new more awesome menu for mod selection ?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

With some creative hex editing, and selfboot inducer, one could probably create a custom multi-mod disc. There wouldn't be any options to return to the menu though.

Another alternative would be simply buying an sd adapter for the DC. There are cr*ploads of verified working Dreamcast sdiso images out there on the web.
ImageImageImageImage
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

With some creative hex editing, and selfboot inducer, one could probably create a custom multi-mod disc.
Yes, this way works. But why we have to do it that way with hacking? Why there is no simple (or advanced :) ) internal *.bor loader to load off cd and sd. It would be really much easier for people unfamiliar with inducer or other menu system.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Basil wrote:Yes, this way works. But why we have to do it that way with hacking? Why there is no simple (or advanced :) ) internal *.bor loader to load off cd and sd. It would be really much easier for people unfamiliar with inducer or other menu system.
Why doesn't someone ask at the actual developer's site? http://lavalit.com:8080/

Make a feature request. I would say gathering up a group of people to show interest, and possibly making a small donation might improve the odds.
ImageImageImageImage
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

I have alread done that http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,6573.0.html
If a donation will do the trick they can expect a good amount but i need to be sure that someone will really work on dc code.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I don't think that that's the way most homebrew projects work. It was just a suggestion.

I find the lavalit site layout kinda confusing, so you may try to find out if if they use some kind of tracker system. ie - bug, feature request, patch, etc.

For instance, I cant tell you how many times I saw people complaining about something on the scummvm forums, but never posted anything on the sourceforge tracker system. In the end, if the bug/request/patch wasn't posted there (on the tracker), it wasn't even recognized by the devs.

If they don't have a tracker, you next best bet would probably be politely sending the Dreamcast maintainer a PM. I believe it's 'SX' who did the majority of the updates.
ImageImageImageImage
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

I got it. Thanks, i'll do it that way.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

It would be nice to see a BOR mod loader for the SD card, if such a thing doesn't exist. (And if it does, my apologies; I'm still sort of getting up to speed with everything that's happened in the last few years, but I haven't seen anything that does this).

See my post in the "Development Ideas" section for a more comprehensive idea that could theoretically cover this need, though.