Pier Solar And The Great Architects

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pier Solar And The Great Architects

Post by DanteJay »

According to WaterMelon, they're doing another run of the reprint edition that will be for sale sometime this month. I know I'll be picking up a copy, since it will be much cheaper than grabbing one from ebay. Source

If you have a Sega/Mega CD, you can also download the enhanced soundtrack disc here and burn it to a disc. Then you can play the game with enhanced audio. Something Sega should have done back in the day.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Pier Solar And The Great Architects

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I've been keeping my eye on that for the last couple of months. Unfortunately money is a big tight at the moment, but if I can scrounge up the cash I'm seriously considering it. I've been trying to learn more about what exists out there in terms of commercial console homebrew, and most of what is out there seems to be rather unimpressive. Most of the games (regardless of platform) are either very simple or are simply prints/reprints of previously unreleased commercial materials (and thus of questionable legality), and most of the more ambitious developers seem to have shifted their efforts either to the iPhone App Store or XBLA/PSN/WiiWare.

However, I have been enjoying Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril for NES, and the same publisher has a rather impressive remake of Glider (remember the old Mac game)? The neatest thing about the latter is that it's got some flash memory onboard, accessible via a USB port on the side of the cartridge, which you can use to upload custom levels to the game. That's got to be a first in terms of NES games.

I'd still love to see a comprehensive list somewhere of commercial console homebrew releases. Particularly interested in NES, SNES, and Genesis/SegaCD, but other platforms would be interesting as well.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Good news (for those who care), Team WaterMelon has the game is for sale again: http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/shop/

$56 USD including shipping. I already ordered my copy.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

My copy came in today. :D

Super impressed with the quality of the packaging.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, I'm so glad I obtained mine when it was still $35. I was super-excited to get it, but I honestly haven't played more than 30 minutes of it.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Is it actually up there with greatest 16-bit RPGs of all time? Everyone gives it bonus points for being a "great accomplishment" or something, but I don't care about that. I can't shake the assumption that it's more of a $10 "pretty good" Steam title and the whole Genesis thing is just fluff.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

DanteJay wrote:If you have a Sega/Mega CD, you can also download the enhanced soundtrack disc here and burn it to a disc. Then you can play the game with enhanced audio. Something Sega should have done back in the day.
So you are saying if you put just the cartridge in it will play the standard music in game, but if you put the soundtrack CD in the Sega CD with the cartridge in it will play the enhanced music instead of the music from the cartridge? I didn't even know that was possible.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Calavera wrote:So you are saying if you put just the cartridge in it will play the standard music in game, but if you put the soundtrack CD in the Sega CD with the cartridge in it will play the enhanced music instead of the music from the cartridge? I didn't even know that was possible.
Yes, exactly. The game will detect the Sega-CD and check the disc for the alternative cd soundtrack.

Sega never utilized the full potential of the SegaCD. Even 32x games could do the same. Technically, the 32x with its 3D graphics overlay, coupled with the SegaCD, could have provided a full 32-bit console experience similar to the Saturn/PSX. Although, always having to use a cartridge and CD for every game would have been irritating. However, even just selling Genesis/MegaDrive games with an optional CD soundtrack that could be used for in-game audio or for just listening purposes, would have been a brilliant idea.
Last edited by DanteJay on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

DanteJay wrote:Sega never utilized the full potential of the SegaCD. Even 32x games could do the same. Technically, the 32x with its 3D graphics overlay, coupled with the SegaCD, could have provided a full 32-bit console experience similar to the Saturn/PSX. Although, always having to use a cartridge and CD for every game would have been irritating.
Actually, they wouldn't have needed a cartridge at all, as you could run 32X stuff from the Sega CD. There actually were 5 "Sega CD 32X" games released (six if you count a Brazillian-exclusive game) that did just that.

I happen to have one of them in my collection of random stuff. Never played it though...
FaithY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by FaithY »

BlueCrab wrote:
DanteJay wrote:Sega never utilized the full potential of the SegaCD. Even 32x games could do the same. Technically, the 32x with its 3D graphics overlay, coupled with the SegaCD, could have provided a full 32-bit console experience similar to the Saturn/PSX. Although, always having to use a cartridge and CD for every game would have been irritating.
Actually, they wouldn't have needed a cartridge at all, as you could run 32X stuff from the Sega CD. There actually were 5 "Sega CD 32X" games released (six if you count a Brazillian-exclusive game) that did just that.
This is correct. I used to own one of these sega cd/32x games (before I gave away my sega genesis/cd/32x and games). It was a basketball game featuring Scottie pippen. The game consisted of interactive FMV's and a soundtrack of Scottie Pippens own music. LOL
:mrgreen:
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

BlueCrab wrote:Actually, they wouldn't have needed a cartridge at all, as you could run 32X stuff from the Sega CD. There actually were 5 "Sega CD 32X" games released (six if you count a Brazillian-exclusive game) that did just that.

I happen to have one of them in my collection of random stuff. Never played it though...
Wow, I even knew that too. I must be losing it.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Is it actually up there with greatest 16-bit RPGs of all time? Everyone gives it bonus points for being a "great accomplishment" or something, but I don't care about that. I can't shake the assumption that it's more of a $10 "pretty good" Steam title and the whole Genesis thing is just fluff.
I'm not entirely sure yet as I really need to go back and put more play time in, but I will say it has the best quality dialogue of any 16-bit RPG I've played - well, of the ones that actually try to have individual characters with significant serious dialogue. Much of this is because most of the 16-bit RPGs have pretty damn weak storytelling, and Pier Solar from what I have played is pretty good in that regard even by todays standards.

Gameplay thus far seems solid enough, though it is fairly standard J-RPG type stuff... I'd have liked some action elements, or more tactical options or something. Still, it's fun and very impressive technically. If you're expecting it to best Chrono Trigger or whatever in terms of gameplay, you'll probably be let down.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.