So Resident Evil 6... Not Excited?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

So Resident Evil 6... Not Excited?

Post by cube_b3 »

Yeah my interest in the series has been dwindling.

I was looking forward to Dark Side Chronicles but they shoved it on to Wii and given RE5 was so disappointing there was no way I would keep a console exclusively for Resident Evil again (I bought RE5-360 LE).

I loved the original trilogy (though today 3 just seems absurd), I loved Code Veronica as well.

Resident Evil 4 was very exciting, interesting characters, but felt more like a B action movie involving MR.PRESIDENT than an eerie corporate conspiracy Resident Evil that I was accustomed to. 5... we all know how 5 went.

I just don't know... with so many RE games announced already I am confused.

As I grew older I wanted the games to be more intellectually stimulating instead the plot got thinner and cheesier.

Anyone else feel the same way I do, if so are you excited for 6?

Then we have the movies, I loved the original.
The Umbrella Spec Ops team, separate universe from the game, amnesiac storyline and the score from Marylin Manson was all awesome.

Apocalypse wasn't what I expected. It had a great teaser trailer:

Unfortunately the movie dumped horror, in favor of action and overall I didn't enjoy the movie as much as the first. It was just to fast paced - however the script was better than RE3 in my opinion, acknowledging that a city has been nuked and providing a cover up/conspiracy is something the game did't bother with.

Extinction had a great teaser, the trailer was even more exciting.

The movie was garbage though.
It felt like I had skipped a sequel, how did the world suddenly end?
It followed years after Apocalypse and Jill was missing without explanation (Seinna wasn't signed on so she was shooting another movie at the time - screw up on producers part). Claire was shoe horned in place of Jill's character. A major disappointment cause if written properly there were intriguing themes.

Afterlife.
Return of Paul as director maybe he'll write a better script?
Nope, it was garbage and completely pointless.

Retribution

Fantastic Teaser Trailer...
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: So Resident Evil 6... Not Excited?

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I stopped caring when they released 4, and shifted the genre to action from survival-horror.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I love 4 and Code Veronica - that's it. The movies are all shit.

Really not one of my favourite series at all.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Frankly, RE4 was the only one I really liked. I enjoyed the "light gun" games (Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles), mainly because I like light gun games, but the other games in the series all felt clunky and tedious to control, poorly written, and rather bogged down in their own mythology. I appreciate the impact the series has had on the evolution of gaming, but I never really cared for it myself. 4 was a beautiful fluke.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

[sorry; double-post]
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:I stopped caring when they released 4, and shifted the genre to action from survival-horror.
This. All RE's after 4 were not Resident Evil, the movies were the worst kind of tripe, and therefore both can fuck right off.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Frankly, RE4 was the only one I really liked. I enjoyed the "light gun" games (Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles), mainly because I like light gun games, but the other games in the series all felt clunky and tedious to control, poorly written, and rather bogged down in their own mythology. I appreciate the impact the series has had on the evolution of gaming, but I never really cared for it myself. 4 was a beautiful fluke.

I'm assuming that you didn't play Resident Evil when it was originally released, as having seen you post about not really getting into gaming until much later in life. It was really groundbreaking for 1996. The blended medium, the plot, the graphics. It was entirely new and innovative. The same argument you've made could easily be made by a 14 year old kid today on the subject of Super Mario.

I was 10 years old and I was terrified. The majority of the first playthrough, I let my dad play so that I could just watch without shitting myself. The first one is great, as it is the only one that holds the advantage of surprise, fear and doubt through its setting and storyline. The second one is good, but its the beginning of the end as more characters are introduced to a large spider web of silly corporate conspiracy. 3 and Code Veronica hold the gameplay intact, but at this point there isn't much plot to be had (or even give a shit about). And that's where the movie went wrong. I wanted a real horror/thriller in the first film. I wanted the exact same helicopter crash/search party, and a nail-biting experience for Bravo team through a mysteriously well-kept mansion with a barrel of secrets to be uncovered. I wanted a horror film. Basically, I wanted what would later be done with Silent Hill.

At least the second film (I don't keep up with the names.. I mean, who could?), is absolutely hilarious. They're all pretty funny, but they never got back to being as funny as the second one, therefor it's the only one that I own.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Wow, me and Jeeba on the same page.
I was worried you were going to say something sarcastic to ridicule this entire thread.

Personally RE2 is my favorite (I entered the series with RE2 though I've played every port of RE1), the characters were very well written in the sequel. I think it was all awesome, thrilling, scary and tragic. The death of Ada (and even that survivor Ben) really left me devastated. RE1 was great but the consensus among forums is that 2 is the best. I respect your opinion though.

As for the movies I liked the original just fine, the whole amnesia dynamic really worked nicely. Maybe the thriller aspect could've been better but Paul Anderson created an original universe to compliment the games very nicely.

I agree, RE2 (which was supposed to be Nemesis but due to StarTrek:Nemesis coming out the same year was changed to Apocalypse a stupid move) and I believe it greatly inspired the video game RE4 for the worse.

The film series have there own fan base, and it would've been perfect if it never shoved the video game characters in there.

So my question for you is... what is your opinion on RE6?

@ Fiddler: RE4 is a really fun game, and along with gameplay it has very nice character dynamics as well, but I don't know involving Mr. President and his daughter just made it cliche and something else, it wasn't Resident Evil anymore, it reminded me more of Dino Crisis 2 (or what DC3 should've been).

RE5 tried to unify both fan bases but the gameplay was bad (not just because you couldn't gun n run) and the narrative wasn't even true to the characters.

So what is your opinion on 6, since you don't care about the roots of the series and are a casual player, you'd probably pick it up if it is fun.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

I played RE2 just the other day... it was at least 12 years since the last time. This time as an older man i played with my son, passing on my knowledge of videogame history.
Guess what? I felt like its still the best in the series. We beat it 4 times, and my son was very excited... he loved it.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

- RE2 was interesting. I finished it, not life changing. Not scary, still don't like the controls.

- REmake was awesome. Perfect survival horror game, despite still not liking the controls. I didn't play enough of the PS1 version to compare but I really don't care.

- RE3, meh.

- RE:CV, played a bit of it on the Dreamcast. Was interesting, but I sucked at it and never got too far.

- RE4... I finished it, can't remember much about it except it wasn't scary or that entertaining. It felt like a chore to get through and I haven't played it since finishing it when it first came out.

- I really liked the first RE movie as a sci-fi horror film on its own. The others are entertaining but not worth watching more than once. They're not great movies by any means, and trying to compare them to the games is miserable, but it's impossible to be bored while watching one of these films.

I prefer the Silent Hill games and movie(s) in almost every way... except the controls. They still suck. Like RE.

And you seriously only own a 360 exclusively for RE5 LE? What year is this now? I thought the 360 had enough of a variety of excellent exclusives to please everyone, I guess not.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

The blended medium, the plot, the graphics. It was entirely new and innovative.
Ever play the original Alone in the Dark? Quite a bit of the first RE feels cribbed from it (the type of puzzles, pre-rendered backdrops, control scheme, and elements of the music). The first RE game is one of my favorites (I've probably beaten it close to 20 times), and I greatly enjoy 2 as well, but I feel this ancestor is worth noting.

As far as RE6... I'm kind of looking forward to it I guess. I think RE4 was a lot of fun, but the move away from survival horror did make me lose a bit of interest in the series.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Lartrak wrote:
Ever play the original Alone in the Dark? Quite a bit of the first RE feels cribbed from it (the type of puzzles, pre-rendered backdrops, control scheme, and elements of the music). The first RE game is one of my favorites (I've probably beaten it close to 20 times), and I greatly enjoy 2 as well, but I feel this ancestor is worth noting.

As far as RE6... I'm kind of looking forward to it I guess. I think RE4 was a lot of fun, but the move away from survival horror did make me lose a bit of interest in the series.
I guess my experience speaks on behalf of console gaming.
Wikipedia wrote:Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, the next generation game of the Alone in the Dark series, was created by Darkworks as a console survival horror, and shows significant influence from the Resident Evil series. The control scheme and gameplay is much closer to that of Resident Evil than the original Alone in the Dark games. Internally known as Alone in the Dark 4, the game was released in 2001, developed by Darkworks for PlayStation and Dreamcast, and by Spiral Studios for PC and PlayStation 2, also with an alternative portable Game Boy Color version developed by Pocket Studios.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I've actually played/watched the original Alone in the Dark.

While I was viewing it, it felt like a BLUE SKIES type adventure than a menacing horror one (offcourse this is a 15 year old memory).
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I own two copies of RE4 (GC and Wii) and I'm too dense to grasp the controls. I figured the Wii controls would've helped, but I still found it frustrating. Otherwise, I rented RE2 once and didn't really click with it either.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Resident Evil 4 is my favorite game of all time. The controls are certainly challenging at first but the game is SO worth the effort. It consistently exudes atmosphere throughout. The levels are so well designed that you can take pretty much any screenshot with scenery and pinpoint exactly where it is in the game (no repetitive identical corridors, generic rooms, etc).

Never could pick up the earlier titles despite several attempts - horrible, horrible controls and perspective just kill the experience for me.

RE5 wasn't nearly as good as 4, lacking all the atmosphere, tension, gory death scenes, and pervasive darkness - but as an action game it's among the absolute best of the modern console generation.

VERY MUCH LOOKING FORWARD TO RE6.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

RE5 was rushed.
The shop system was broken.
Klonoa
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Klonoa »

I liked the trailer for 6 but I also remember thinking the trailer for 5 was epic and it turned out to be really disappointingly crappy. But yeah, I'd still play it tho. ^^
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

After 4 I lost interest. I still consider RE2 the high point of the series, and CV was a real treat.

The new mechanics and the babysitting of the new games just kills my interest.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Lartrak wrote:

I guess my experience speaks on behalf of console gaming.
Wikipedia wrote:Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, the next generation game of the Alone in the Dark series, was created by Darkworks as a console survival horror, and shows significant influence from the Resident Evil series. The control scheme and gameplay is much closer to that of Resident Evil than the original Alone in the Dark games. Internally known as Alone in the Dark 4, the game was released in 2001, developed by Darkworks for PlayStation and Dreamcast, and by Spiral Studios for PC and PlayStation 2, also with an alternative portable Game Boy Color version developed by Pocket Studios.
The first Alone in the Dark came out in 1992, and they've always retained the same gameplay, albeit with graphical improvements. RE did indeed rip a number of ideas from Alone.
Wikipedia wrote: The game was followed by four more games in the series: Alone in the Dark 2 (1993), Alone in the Dark 3 (1994), Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (2001) and Alone in the Dark (2008), and inspired two live-action films Alone in the Dark and Alone in the Dark II.
Alone in the Dark is widely considered to be a forefather of the survival horror game genre, setting the standard for later rival popular survival horror games such as Resident Evil and Silent Hill.[4][5][6][3]
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Game fails upon release.

Who didn't see that coming?