Stuck potentiometer?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Stuck potentiometer?

Post by Aleron Ives »

My Dreamcast has gotten to the point where it randomly freezes when playing GD-ROMs sometimes, so I figured it was time to try adjusting the potentiometer to increase the strength of the laser and prolong the system's life for a bit. Unfortunately, the red varnish that holds the screw in place is, shall we say, stubborn. The screw wouldn't budge at all in either direction with force applied from either a flathead screwdriver or pliers, and the varnish resisted being chipped away, too. Is it always this difficult to turn the potentiometer, or was my system just fortified against attack? I don't want to break it completely by trying to force the screw to move...

Also, an ohm-meter measured the current resistance at ~800 ohms (807 IIRC). That's already pretty low, isn't it? I read in one place that the factory default is 1500, and another place says it should be 1050. I sent my Dreamcast in for repairs to sega-parts.com many years ago, but I don't know if they actually fixed my system or just sent me a new one (the motor broke and couldn't spin discs anymore at the time). Any suggestions? :cry:
"Fear the HUnewearl."
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Re: Stuck potentiometer?

Post by RyoDC »

Well, just replace that resistor?
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

I tuned mine some 5 months ago or something back. When I twisted the screw the varnish broke free with ease. Shouldn't be hard to turn at all.
k3nny1550
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by k3nny1550 »

Slight necro, but this is important:

Exercise caution turning that potentiometer- I managed to bust the screw head off the thing after I had to tweak it a lot of times over the years. I wound up buying a new Dreamcast from a friend of mine because the old one refuses to read discs.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Anthony817 wrote:I tuned mine some 5 months ago or something back. When I twisted the
screw the varnish broke free with ease. Shouldn't be hard to turn at
all.
I wonder if mine got some sort of extra-strength varnish when I sent it in for repairs many years ago, because it's definitely not easy to break it off on my system. :(
"Fear the HUnewearl."
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

You sure the freezing you're experiencing is linked to the lens?

If so, just make sure you have good size screw driver for the slot, push in and give 'er. I've adjusted many pots over the years, and sometimes you get one of those stubborn ones. Try turning in both directions in order to break free.