PSO patcher burning

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

1RandomGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PSO patcher burning

Post by 1RandomGamer »

I downloaded the patcher, burned it to a disc using img burn at 8X speed, and put it in my dreamcast and It loaded as an audio disc, is there anything I'm doing wrong?
Hello, I'm your signature, and I love you.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: PSO patcher burning

Post by BlueCrab »

You did try to burn the CDI and not the plainfiles, right? I've never used imgburn, so I really can't comment on it. I'd recommend trying with either an old version of Disc Juggler (the trial version should work fine) or Alcohol 120% (once again, the trial should work fine).

That, or you could grab the plainfiles and use BootDreams to make a disc.
1RandomGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by 1RandomGamer »

yes, i did burn the cdi image, and everything shows up on the disc just fine, but when I put it in the dreamcast, it opens up the music center, and when I click play, it tells me to insert a game disc. Is there a special way to burn it in disc jungler, or a certain speed the dreamcast likes? what's the way most people burn this?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/dreamcast_burn.html

Did you burn it with these settings? All Dreamcast CDI files should be burned this way, to my knowledge.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
1RandomGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by 1RandomGamer »

Disc juggler wasn't being to cooperative so I searched and found a method using Alcohol120%. The patch loaded and works. I have registered the codes to my console, and now all I need is a BBA.
gligar13
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by gligar13 »

You can connect with 56k, when I play I do that.
1RandomGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by 1RandomGamer »

the only problem is that the 56k modem cuts off the phone line when in use, and we only have 1 phone line. Plus I don't have a VMU yet, I'll be ordering a couple off of amazon sometime soon though. Is there a way I can bridge the connection from a modem to a wifi/ethernet connection through the computer?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

You can, at least if you're willing to live with the headaches that it involves. Its not an easy task, to say the least, and you may need to buy/build extra hardware to pull it off.

Simply put, with the amount of trouble it is, you'd be better off paying close attention to ebay to try to find a BBA cheap. It does happen every once in a while. :wink:
1RandomGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by 1RandomGamer »

How tough of a procedure is it? I might give it a shot if all else fails, because I am pretty computer savvy, but the other thing is I can't play PSO DC at all right now because I don't have a VMU, so I still got some time before I start playing, I will keep my eye out for a BBA, or I'll get Magic jack, LOL ^_^

Ya, I don't think Magic jack will work for this, but I have a question. We have 1 phone line with 1 phone connected. If I bought a splitter, could I then connect my Dreamcast and the phone, and not cut off the phone when connecting to the Internet?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Splitters allow you to connect multiple phones to the same line. They do not magically give you two lines. ;)

Setting up a DC-PC server is a pain. You need to download an installation of Linux and software for running a virtual OS inside your real computer (like VMWare), and then you need to do a bunch of configuration on the virtual Linux machine. Unless you have the right modem (revision A, IIRC), you also have to buy components to build a line-voltage simulator, because connecting your DC directly to your PC won't provide it with the same voltage that a real phone line would have, and some modems won't work without it. It's also necessary to buy a voice modem for your PC, since it's unlikely that even if by chance your PC has a modem that it's the kind that accepts incoming connections. You also have to start your computer and set up the virtual server every time you want to play, and you have to manually tell your computer to answer the DC's phone call every time PSO tries to connect, because apparently even Linux isn't smart enough to notice and answer automatically when the DC is dialing.

Even if you do all of this correctly, you may still be plagued with lag and frequent disconnections that make the game unplayable. Quite simply, DC-PC servers are for people who are either too cheap to buy BBAs or want to play other DC games online that don't support the BBA at all. BBAs do cost quite a bit, but you're better off saving money for however long it takes and buying one than you are trying to klouge together some strange system with coathangers and toasters to get your DC online.

...You could also just use PSO PC, which avoids both the cost and hassle associated with getting a DC online. :P
"Fear the HUnewearl."
1RandomGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by 1RandomGamer »

0_0 That sounds like a pain in the butt, I'll stick with looking for a BBA on the internet, and playing PSO PC.

Another quick Idea/question. What if I used the Modem equivalent of a router (phone line ports instead of ethernet ports, if it exists) and connected my dreamcast to that as well as our phone? If this exists, do they have a specific name, and where can I find one? ^_^
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

use a DVD, CD-RW to try other speeds
http://psopalace.sylverant.net/dreamcast_burn.html
at least in my case it worked
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
1RandomGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by 1RandomGamer »

I got the patcher to work a week ago, but I don't have a BBA or a VMU so I can't play PSO at all on my DC, now I'm trying to either find a BBA or a way to connect through the modem. Also, Disc Juggler didn't want to work period on my computer, it kept giving me an error, so I uninstalled the demo and got Alcohol120% and found a method for burning the patcher
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar