If this is old news and has been discussed before, please feel free to delete or lock this topic!!
Holly is a 3D engine SDK for the Dreamcast and is build on top of KOS 1.3.x (KallistiOS). It is implemented in C++, with some amount of SH4 assembly. The main developer of Holly3D is Heinrich Tillack. You can get in contact with him via E-mail info(at)tillack.org. Implemented Features:
History - from Iris3d to Holly: In 2002 I added Triangle Strips clipping and IMD animation with vertex interpolation to Iris3D V0.7 by Olivier Chatry. Olivier the author of Iris3D included the patches into Iris3D V0.9.1. Which is the last official version of Iris 3D. In 2003 I started to modifiy this C++ code just for fun! Since 2003 I replaced (rewrote) around 95% of the C++ code, so I called the SDK Holly and NOT Iris-3D V2 as I thought before. Too much has changed - compared to Iris3D. I rewrote Iris3D just for my own game projects (like DCASTLE). So here it is. Stay tuned for the upcoming release....
- Aggressive Culling
- Triangle Strips (via IMD3 file format)
- Triangles for smarter quadtrees(via IMD3)
- memory friendly resource manager, just load resources when it`s not already loaded
- Character Animation with Bones or Keyframes (very memory friendly version)
- Collision Detection with OPCODE 1.2
- 3d meshes(IMD3 format)
- Easy Controller tests
- support for large static levels with Octree scene managment
- Rendering Opaque and Translucent objects
- Lighting - dynamic RGB lights, point , directional (Sun).
- Special Effects - range-based fogging, depth-based fogging,stencil shadows
- Textures - multi textures, compressed textures,
Import / export
- Mesh export from 3dsmax
- character animation export from 3dsmax
Dreamcast / SH4 optimized software T&L
2D Hardware sprites
Cheap Shadow modifier
Multitexturing supported via cpu-friendly 2-pass rendering
Sounds very interesting!