PSO V2 JP questions

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

1RandomGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PSO V2 JP questions

Post by 1RandomGamer »

I don't have a dreamcast yet, but I purchased a copy of PSO V2 JP version today for dreamcast and was wondering.

do I need the PSO patcher 1.1 iso to connect? (the one in the download section on the site)
can it be played on an english console? (If not, is there a way to play import games?)
and is there any way I can switch the JP version to English? (I'm also thinking of just buying En V2 off of amazon)

Thanks.
Hello, I'm your signature, and I love you.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: PSO V2 JP questions

Post by BlueCrab »

To answer you questions, in order:

1. Yes, you do need the PSO Patcher v1.1 to play any Japanese version of PSO for Dreamcast. All of them had the Hunter's License check, so you need to disable it. You could use a codebreaker for this purpose, but its easier to just use the PSO Patcher disc. The only versions that didn't have the Hunter's License check are USv1, EUv1, and EUv2. I recommend using the PSO Patcher disc with any v2 versions of the game anyway, since it includes the Ultimate-mode mapfix patch.
2. Yes, you can play it on a non-Japanese console. The PSO Patcher disc will allow you to boot imports, so there's no difficulty with that.
3. Yes, you can switch the in-game language to English. Its in the Options menu when you start the game up.
1RandomGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by 1RandomGamer »

Awesome, thanks. I'll be sure to look into getting a dreamcast soon then. Anyone know where I can get a BBA?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

eBay is probably your best bet, unfortunately. If you look carefully, you may be able to find a deal on one.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The price of BBAs has reportedly increased recently due to (false) rumours of other Dreamcast games coming online again, so you're going to have to pay about $200 for one now. $150 is the minimum at present. It may be worth your while to get a copy of USv2, as it's dirt cheap and has fewer bugs than JPv2 does.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I've actually seen two instances in the past few months where a lot of Dreamcast stuff (containing a BBA) has gone for less than $100. Its rare to see it, but it does happen every once in a while.
1RandomGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by 1RandomGamer »

Cool, I'll keep my eyes peeled then.